cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g750jw screen problem

twisteddiana
Level 7
Hello everyone

Been having this issue of HEAVY screen flickering for a few months now. Laptop is 1 year old and this started happening after an nvidia driver update (sometime in September, if I remember correctly). This happens sometimes a few time a day, sometimes only once every two days.

VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hreY877XgKk

I've checked temperatures, nothing is overheated. I also use an external display but that doesn't flicker at all (and flickering happens also when the external display is not connected). Doesn't matter if I'm in a game or Windows login screen.
I've tried to remove and re-add display drivers (both old and new) and nothing seemed to work. I tried turning vertical sync on, that didn't work either. Switching between applications helps in most cases (switching to a mostly white background, like google's search home).

The laptop is still in warranty, but It's my work laptop so I wouldn't be inclined to part with it for even 1 working day, also taking into consideration that this might just be a software problem (hoping for that actually).
The settings on the graphics card are all on default.
4 REPLIES 4

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Hi twisteddiana, sounds like a bad monitor panel, or a loose monitor cable connection.
If you open, and close your monitor lid a lot, then it could be a loose monitor cable connection.
Does the flicker get more active if you move the monitor lid back and forth?
You said it doesn't flicker when attached to an external monitor, but flickers on your built in monitor panel.
So that rules out your graphics card.
You will need to RMA your NB before your warranty expires.

Hope this is of some help to you my friend?
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

twisteddiana
Level 7
Thanks for the answer!

That was something I suspected, except the fact that moving the monitor lid back and fourth doesn't change the flicker at all and I don't open/close the lid a lot. So I guess that would leave faulty monitor panel. But why is it so intermittent and rare in occurrence? Some sort of interference?

Thanks, again.

l2apsux
Level 7
yeah same circumstances different problem. the only way youre getting it taken care of for free is their way. you must go without and/or find a temporary replacement for your work purposes which so long as they dont involve high amounts of rendering, shouldnt be a problem.

i found most of my work related things could be done from my smart phone.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Well you should RMA for service.
Hopefully that shouldn't take too long to fix your monitor.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"