cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Hero Vii owner. What settings should I tweak in BIOS for stable stock?

1ceTr0n
Level 11
Hey all, I'm a proud and excited owner to finally retire my good and reliable mATX Gene-Z Gen2 and upgrading to a 4790k setup with a sexy new Hero VII mobo.

I do plan on overclocking but I wanna make sure everything is stable before I attempt going that route again with this new set up. Are their any pariticular settings I should change in the huge BIOS that would be optimal or better then what comes outta the factory?

Also, is there a particular BIOS version I should say away from?

12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hello 1ceTr0n

If you're running at stock settings there is no need to mess with any settings. Asus designers/programmers have done a great job with the settings and at stock you can pretty much let everything on auto. The only thing you will have to do is set your ram either by X.M.P. or with manual settings.

I will say this, at stock settings your 4790k is probably getting a little over volted but nothing to worry about.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello 1ceTr0n

If you're running at stock settings there is no need to mess with any settings. Asus designers/programmers have done a great job with the settings and at stock you can pretty much let everything on auto. The only thing you will have to do is set your ram either by X.M.P. or with manual settings.

I will say this, at stock settings your 4790k is probably getting a little over volted but nothing to worry about.

I obviously wont' be using onboard audio or video so I will be disabling them. Should I just go ahead and set mem to run 2400mhz out of box or should I start running at the CPU's mem controller default 1600mhz? Think I should go into voltage settings and change anything or you just saying the CPU will run warmer then normal on stock?

Is there a guide to help me get caught up in changes with the UEFI BIOS'es? I'm somewhat familiar with my Maximum Gene-Z but its been awhile and I dont' think I can even find the XMP profile section on how I oveclocked it now lol. I"m game for any links that will help me get caught up.

Puffnstuff
Level 10
Yes the stock settings are fine and congrats on buying a quality board.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Nate152
To use X.M.P. go to the extreme tweaker tab and set the ai overclock tuner to X.M.P., F10 and Enter and you're done. The speed timings and voltage will be set automatically or you can do it manually.

There are no guides for the maximus VII boards but you can take a look at the maximus VI guides, they're very similar in features.

overclocking guide

http://rog.asus.com/242142013/labels/rog-exclusive/maximus-vi-series-uefi-guide-for-overclocking/

Bios guide

http://rog.asus.com/254052013/maximus-motherboards/recommended-settings-for-overclocking-maximus-vi-...

Squall_Rinoa89
Level 8
1ceTr0n wrote:
Hey all, I'm a proud and excited owner to finally retire my good and reliable mATX Gene-Z Gen2 and upgrading to a 4790k setup with a sexy new Hero VII mobo.

I do plan on overclocking but I wanna make sure everything is stable before I attempt going that route again with this new set up. Are their any pariticular settings I should change in the huge BIOS that would be optimal or better then what comes outta the factory?

Also, is there a particular BIOS version I should say away from?

What sound card is that?
Lian Li 011 Dynamic White Case
Intel Core i9 Coffee lake 9900K @ 5.1GHz
ASUS STRIX Z390-E LGA 1151
Corsair DDR4 Corsair Dominator 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CAS 18
EVGA nVidia RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA 10GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 PSU
1x 512GB SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD
2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
1x WD BLACK 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA Hard Drive (6.0Gb/s)

koroziv
Level 9
Actually the default settings in bios are bad; they maxed out all values for stable oc, resulting in higher temps.
Bug in bios :
Turbo boost power max and turbo bost short power max values are multiplied by 8; in order to get 88W and 112W (intel specs, default are maxed to 4096W) I have to input 8 and 14. I read the values from windows with intel xtu.
Also current limit is maxed to 1023A, I only need 256A to avoid throttling.
The multipliers are all set to x44, default intel are :
x44-one core used
x44-2 cores used
x43-3 cores used
x42-4 cores used
You can also use an lower vcore voltage, you will have to find the one that is best for you.
I have lowered my temps by at least 10 Celsius using the above settings; stable while gaming and intel burn test maximum stress test.
Edit : I wish i had the money for a 980, but the 970 is good enough for now; I use the cm 212 hyper evo cooler, 26-30 idle 81 max in stress tests, 50-55 while gaming bf4 ultra detail 1080p.
Also my system is missing that black cat, I guess that is the most precious component 🙂

koroziv wrote:
Actually the default settings in bios are bad; they maxed out all values for stable oc, resulting in higher temps.
Bug in bios :
Turbo boost power max and turbo bost short power max values are multiplied by 8; in order to get 88W and 112W (intel specs, default are maxed to 4096W) I have to input 8 and 14. I read the values from windows with intel xtu.
Also current limit is maxed to 1023A, I only need 256A to avoid throttling.
The multipliers are all set to x44, default intel are :
x44-one core used
x44-2 cores used
x43-3 cores used
x42-4 cores used
You can also use an lower vcore voltage, you will have to find the one that is best for you.
I have lowered my temps by at least 10 Celsius using the above settings; stable while gaming and intel burn test maximum stress test.
Edit : I wish i had the money for a 980, but the 970 is good enough for now; I use the cm 212 hyper evo cooler, 26-30 idle 81 max in stress tests, 50-55 while gaming bf4 ultra detail 1080p.
Also my system is missing that black cat, I guess that is the most precious component 🙂

I'm confused and the simple days of overclocking with my Sandy Bridge with a few clicks on the Asus UEFI are gone now. I guess these new Devils Canyons are specced to only turbo boost one core to 4.6ghz? What has been the typical approach for people to overclock these things then? Do we enable Turboboost on all cores first and try to raise them multiplier? People are saying that the higher FSB of the DDR3 like mine that goes to 2400mhz has to be down clocked to 1866mhz to attempt overclocking the CPU nowadays?

Man, i'm just overloaded with questions and too much information to sort through on this new setup

koroziv
Level 9
Keeping all cores at turbo x44 (default setting on MB) is already some minor OC that requires more juice but nothing like the default settings.
For OC you have some guides around here, I only recommend to keep the voltages on a short lease, do not let them at default values, that resulting in very high temperatures . Not sure if you can go on air cooling safely past 4.6 Ghz.

koroziv wrote:
Keeping all cores at turbo x44 (default setting on MB) is already some minor OC that requires more juice but nothing like the default settings.
For OC you have some guides around here, I only recommend to keep the voltages on a short lease, do not let them at default values, that resulting in very high temperatures . Not sure if you can go on air cooling safely past 4.6 Ghz.

All I know is that with XMP, I'm seeing 1.25v on the cpu via CPUZ when the cpu is being decently used. Beyond that, I am in unknown waters