cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer turns on and gets to Q Code 15 before restarting.

iamleap
Level 7
I need help with this issue (I have a Maximus VII Hero). My computer will start up and get to Q Code 15 before shutting off and starting back up. The whole process lasts about two seconds. It goes from code 00->13->15 at which point it will turn off and restart. During this time the CPU led does light up briefly and is red. I'm hoping this is not a motherboard issue as this motherboard has given me nothing but problems since I got it and this current one is my 4th replacement. I've built this computer and have had it for a little more than 6 months now. All of the replacements for the motherboard I got within the first month. This issue just occurred randomly after shutting off my computer one night. I tried to turn it on in the morning and the error started happening. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to add that while my computer was running if I tried to restart the computer would hang 50% of the time after restarting and I would get a black screen and would have to manually reset the computer. Also I could the CPU be the problem? Everything was functioning fine before.
15 REPLIES 15

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi iamleap and indeed you are unlucky having 4 replacements.

First check your DIMMs are seated correctly and that they are indeed compatible with the QVL. No specs listed.
If they checkout OK then it could be the CPU.
Have you tried setting Bios back to default or maybe a Bios update will resolve the issue.

Check these things out and report back please.
Also fill out your full system specs in your profile.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:

First check your DIMMs are seated correctly and that they are indeed compatible with the QVL. No specs listed.
Have you tried setting Bios back to default or maybe a Bios update will resolve the issue.

I've updated my profile with the required information. Also the DIMMs are in the QVL and I have reseated them multiple times. I am unable to check to see if they are okay now since computer doesn't stay on for more than two seconds. The only thing is I've had this computer for a little more than half a year with everything except the motherboard running perfectly.

MeanMachine wrote:

I've updated my profile with the required information. Also the DIMMs are in the QVL and I have reseated them multiple times. I am unable to check to see if they are okay now since computer doesn't stay on for more than two seconds. The only thing is I've had this computer for a little more than half a year with everything except the motherboard running perfectly.

Nate152
That is pretty good temps for a run ar stock settings. I'm not sure why the NVidia driver is crashing.

Are you overclocking your gpu?

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi iamleap
Well if you have tried a Bios update and still failing to post with just 1 DIMM in first slot and switched them around, you will have to benchtest outside your case.
Check for bent pins in the CPU socket and carefully reapply your TIM using the pea method. Make sure you carefully finger tighten evenly and don't over-tighten the hold-down bracket.
Testing your DIMMs using Memtest86 in another system, would eliminate the possibility of a failing DIMM.
If it is the CPU then you may have to try swapping with a different one.
Its a matter of elimination.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

I've tried with everything unplugged except for the cpu and the same with only 1 dimm in there (tried both dimms). Both failed to post. I checked for bent pins and everything seems to be fine. I've tried with a new cpu and motherboard to no avail. The only real options I have left according to your post is testing it outside the case and using memtest. I will try the whole test bench thing with both sets of cpus and motherboards and see how it goes.

iamleap
Level 7
Alright so I've narrowed it down some and I think my cooler is some how short circuiting my whole computer. I don't know how to fix it. The backplate had like foam insulators or something on but when I removed it to swap to newer/replacement motherboards one came off. Currently it is booting without the cooler on it so I may stick with the stock cooler as a temporary solution. Would applying electrical tape to the insulator area fix my problem? Also does anyone know where to get more of that foam? My cooler only came with one set.

Update: Sometimes my computer gets this problem even with the cooler removed. With the cooler in it gets it 100%. I'll try running everything outside of the case again and with the stock cooler.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello iamleap

Would you be looking for something like this?

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/extreme/supplies-and-spare-parts/closed-cell-insulation-mounting-lga-115x-b...

Yeah that looks like it would work. The thing about the foam that came with my cooler is that it was sticky on both sides and was a pain to switch over. It was also just two strips that were attached to the mounting bracket where as this is a whole pad. The strips just covered the exposed rear ends of the pins on the back side of the motherboard surrounding the socket. For that part are there any equivalent items from any sites that ship in the US? As that is where I'm from.

Also another update to my problem is that something in my case is shorting my parts. I have everything completely outside of the case(along with aftermarket cooler) and it is running flawlessly. I will completely reassemble and check out my case tomorrow and try to find out what the problem is. I will return to post results.

I really appreciate you guys trying to help me out here.