cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which G751 would you recommend?

RMXM
Level 7
Hello everyone, so a short question that it's answers would help me out a lot.

I mainly found two models of the Asus G751JT. One with Nvidia 970 and 16GB Ram, 128GB SSD with Blue-ray.
And the other one would be with Nvidia 980, 8GB of RAM, no included SSD or blue-ray.

So which should I get? As they are mainly the same price. 1st with Nvidia 970 or 2nd with 980 but less ram?
I'l mostly use this laptop for Games like WoW, Assassin's Creed Unity, Farcry4, Streaming, Photoshop and Video editing.

Thanks for reading! ^^
12 REPLIES 12

Svift
Level 7
Go for GTX980 the extra performance will come handy!

Pros:
-G751 have integrated GPU there for no uprades!
-RAM is cheap to uprage.
-SSD are also cheap. 250Gb m.2 Crucial is like 120 bugs.
-Blu-ray is dead.... costly mediums and optical bays. Who would choose to use BR over external HDD? It just a Sony thing.

You are a PHOTOSHOP USER. Make sure machine you choose has no optimus!!!
- As optimus machines renders windows enviroment including windowed aplication such as photoshop on CPU integrated crap! So there no benefits having powerfull discreet GPU on optimus machines in those apps. That goes for photoshop, maya, CAD apllications and so on.

System without optimus will take benefit from your hi-performace nVidia GPU as photoshop and most video editors are GPGPU apps.

Hope it helps. PM if you have any more questions. 🙂

RMXM
Level 7
Thank you for the reply Svift ^^

I have just seen an ad about Intel Realsense on a G771 and was wondering, anybody knows if this will be on G751 also?

RogueNote wrote:
...I have just seen an ad about Intel Realsense on a G771 and was wondering, anybody knows if this will be on G751 also?

RogueNote, nothing other than the G771 and N551JQ have been announced. I doubt it will come to the G751 soon, but that could change

ROG G771JM And ASUS N551JQ Now Feature Intel RealSense 3D Camera
http://rog.asus.com/397312015/g-series-gaming-laptops/rog-g771jm-and-asus-n551jq-now-feature-intel-r...

Just as a heads up, unless these kind of things take off generally, they will be rolled out only in a very few units, mostly for the advertising benefit, and testing customer reactions.

Note that when it says "optional extra" on some Asus models, it really is saying, a very small number of shipping units will have it included:

"Intel’s new RealSense technology is now available as an optional extra in the new ROG G771JM and ASUS N551JQ."

Asus doesn't let you order optional extras that require integration into the unit, they are all pre-built in the Asus designated quantities, and you need to hunt that particular model down yourself.

This has been done with a number of technologies over time, including 3D. They aren't in all packages, and the packaging may elude to the technology without actually including it in that particular unit - most likely - so be careful with your ordering, expectations, and don't be too disappointed / sad if it isn't something you can find/get.

RMXM
Level 7
Thanks for taking your time in writing that info hmscott, appreciate it!
And yeah it won't be any real loss, mostly was just curious about it as the ads with it caught my attention especially because of The Big bang theory's Sheldon was in them. xD

RogueNote wrote:
Thanks for taking your time in writing that info hmscott, appreciate it!
And yeah it won't be any real loss, mostly was just curious about it as the ads with it caught my attention especially because of The Big bang theory's Sheldon was in them. xD

RogueNote, yup, looking out for one of those cardboard standup's of Sheldon in his Intel clothes, maybe next ad Shelden will be in an Intel Bunny Suit 🙂

Sheldon Cooper - The Big Bang Theory - Advanced Graphics Life Size Cardboard Standup
http://www.amazon.com/Sheldon-Cooper-Advanced-Graphics-Cardboard/dp/B005G7YMVA

RMXM
Level 7
hmscott, haha that's cool! Careful not to end up with the room agreement with it xD

On a side note, I managed to save money for the G751 and a Wacom Intous Manga ❤️ (was not easy). So any last opinions, advice is very welcome regarding the pick between the 980 model and the 970 model or if I would have any problems streaming on Twitch for example with one of those. 🙂

RogueNote wrote:
hmscott, haha that's cool! Careful not to end up with the room agreement with it xD

On a side note, I managed to save money for the G751 and a Wacom Intous Manga ❤️ (was not easy). So any last opinions, advice is very welcome regarding the pick between the 980 model and the 970 model or if I would have any problems streaming on Twitch for example with one of those. 🙂

Hah, no, you won't have trouble streaming to twitch. I use ShadowPlay for it and I lose maybe...1 frame per second out of 60. The 970 and 980 in this machine are closer to a desktop than previous models by a large margin. With a bit of tweaking a 980M seems to be in the ballpark of a stock 970.

I'd would have gone for the 980 model because you can get it at 970 price with a bit of shopping around and also because of DX12 coming out later and you'll be able to get more life out of the machine that way because when the really heavy stuff starts coming out that would even challenge this laptop, a few extra FPS may be all you need if you play games.

Edweird wrote:
Hah, no, you won't have trouble streaming to twitch. I use ShadowPlay for it and I lose maybe...1 frame per second out of 60. The 970 and 980 in this machine are closer to a desktop than previous models by a large margin. With a bit of tweaking a 980M seems to be in the ballpark of a stock 970.

Let's not get carried away here. 🙂 The 980M is *nearly* as powerful as a desktop GTX 780 - and consistently beats a desktop GTX 680. It is not going to get into the ballpark of a stock GTX 970 unless it's a very, very big ballpark. 🙂
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

sk3tch wrote:
Let's not get carried away here. 🙂 The 980M is *nearly* as powerful as a desktop GTX 780 - and consistently beats a desktop GTX 680. It is not going to get into the ballpark of a stock GTX 970 unless it's a very, very big ballpark. 🙂

Thanks for replying, hmm so you still think it would do a great job for my needs then?
And for a similar price it has do you think i would end up better with a PC?