cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with PCIE configuration for SLI

odysseas_nemo
Level 7
Hi all,

I am moving to an 2 way SLI 980 (Asus Strix cards), using EK water blocks with back plate to cool the cards.

The issue I am facing is that the 980 card does not fit in the PCIE_16x_1 slot due to the back plate touching the motherboard cooler.
Is there any way to reconfigure the PCIE_8x_2 as 16x in BIOS by disabling the first slot (PCIE_16x_1)?

Just for reference I am having the 5690x.

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

jonstatt
Level 7
I know there are others with water cooled 980s that have got it into slot 1 but I don't know what water blocks they were using. However, the difference in performance between x8 and x16 according to some reports online that I read is about 1%, so I wouldn't worry too much about putting it into slot 2.

RickROG
Level 11
The issue I am facing is that the 980 card does not fit in the PCIE_16x_1 slot due to the back plate touching the motherboard cooler.

Is it just touching or with interference?; are you speaking of the ROG logo cover or the I/O aluminum cover?
If it is just touching with little or no pressure I would not worry about it; ran tri-sli for 30 minutes 🙂 with the backplate touching the I/O cover and no detrimental effects.
If there is a little too much pressure and it is the I/O cover I would dremel off a wee bit of aluminum cover very carefully :); then polish it up a bit to make it look as pretty as possible.
Lay one static free cover over all of the board. Lay down a separate cover fitted around the grinding area of the board on top of the other, making sure all is desert dry etc, remove carefully when finished and blow off the upside down board with air. It will not show that much; it is just that protruding corner of the I/O cover requires a little rounding off; for me anyways.

Is there any way to reconfigure the PCIE_8x_2 as 16x in BIOS by disabling the first slot (PCIE_16x_1)?

Not that I'm aware of, hardwired in the board I believe.

PS: perhaps a reminder note to the design team or whoever; shaving a bit off of the corner of the I/O cover would be very helpful. 🙂
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"

RickROG wrote:

PS: perhaps a reminder note to the design team or whoever; shaving a bit off of the corner of the I/O cover would be very helpful. 🙂

Hello

Another option is to purchase components that conform to PCI-SIG specifications. While these oversized back plates may be visually appealing they can lead to issues as noted in this thread.

The needed PCIe slots are not user configurable for bandwidth usage. As noted above there should be no noticeable difference between x8 and x16 performance.

Another option is to purchase components that conform to PCI-SIG specifications. While these oversized back plates may be visually appealing they can lead to issues as noted in this thread.

Righto', understood 🙂
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"

Chino
Level 15
odysseas.nemo wrote:
Hi all,

I am moving to an 2 way SLI 980 (Asus Strix cards), using EK water blocks with back plate to cool the cards.

Just for reference I am having the 5690x.

Thanks!

Which blocks are you planning to buy? Have a link?

odysseas_nemo
Level 7
Thank you for your replies !

The back plate I have is from EKWB for 980 STRIX:
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/vga-blocks/fc-backplates/nvidia-geforce-series/ek-fc980-gtx-strix-ba...

Fiddling a bit more, and I can say that the backplate does not allow me to install the card in the first slot at all.
I think at the moment I will go for a combo of 8x and 16x, as was suggested, using the 2nd and 3rd slots, perhaps later on I will mod the motherboard. I have to admit that the heatsink and the ROG cover gave me quite some trouble with my build. It makes it very difficult to access the first PCIe slot, especially the release mechanism.

bernisv
Level 7
Hi,

the simple way is to remove the backplate. Use only the watercooler at the front. The backplate doesnt help nothing in case of cooling performance in real, its only relevant for "design aspects".
MB: Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X (@4,2 / Adaptive Voltage 1,23V)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 (32GB-Kit 2666-15-15-15-35 @1,2V)
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X Superclocked and Geforce 480 GTX
PSU: Corsair AX1500i
M2: Samsung XP941
SSD: 2 x Samsung 840 pro
HD: HGST He8 8TB
Display: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
Keyboard: Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse: Steelseries Sensei MLG Edition/ Zowie ZA12

CPU and GPUs watercooled