Level 7
Howdy,
-ASUS MAXIMUS VI IMPACT LGA 1150 Intel Z87
-Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150
-G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1866
-Corsair AX 760i PSU
-EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780
-SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB

I was doing normal computing, browsing the internet, (windows 8.1) then walked away for a bit. Came back and my computer was asleep as I always expect it, except it would not wake up. Hard rebooted and got a blank screen. Nada. Check the mother board code and I have A2. I've read a lot about that being IDE detect (hdd.) So here's what I've done thus far to no avail, can't even get a bios to display.
-Swapped cables on the SSD and tried another SSD.
-Pulled GPU completely and currently running display cable direct to motherboard.
-Tried multiple display cables and HDMI cables and multiple monitors.
-Re-seated RAM -CMOS reset
-Pulled PSU and all cables and did a PSU test, came out fine.
-Built a windows 8 recovery drive on another machine but still could not boot to it. I've done everything I can think of and STILL can't get the BIOS to display. Just blank screen, fans spinning up and A2 code. I also get what I'm pretty sure is the red LED by the ram for boot device. It won't boot to a recovery USB or any other SSD I have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!

*update: I went out and bought a brand new SSD and new SATA III cable. Nope, they didn't work. Still a blank screen here.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hello blaine.hale and welcome

Code A2 is usually drive or gpu related and you pretty much got those two covered and then some.

Try removing all usb devices if no help...

Try a bios update, it's possible your bios got corrupted.

blaine_hale
Level 7
Thanks for the reply, Nate! I'll remove the one USB thing I have hooked up (keyboard.)
How do you suggest I update the bios when no screen is being displayed? Is it possible to just load it on a USB device and plug it in then boot and hope for the best?

blaine_hale
Level 7
Thanks a ton, Nate. I didn't come across this in my research! Going to try this tonight.

blaine.hale wrote:
Thanks a ton, Nate. I didn't come across this in my research! Going to try this tonight.

Got the same problem, did you solve yours?
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Pentium G3258 | MSI GTX 950 | 8GB DDR3-1833

benparker wrote:
Got the same problem, did you solve yours?

Was this solved...I get the same thing

blaine_hale
Level 7
Got home and tried bios flash back. I grabbed the latest bios from ASUS' site along with the bios renaming util. Launched the util to successfully rename the cap file. Slapped the cap file on a USB drive, put it in the ROG Connect USB slot. Then held the ROG connect button down until the light on the mobo came on. In blinked for just under a minute or so then stopped. At that point I booted up the machine aaaaaand.....nothing. Still a blank screen,
Only difference is that I'm not longer getting the light for no boot device because it can't get past the dram phase of booting. My error codes just kind of flop between 27 and 28 on the back of the mobo.
Should I just RMA this sucker at this point? I put a ticket in with ASUS on Sunday and still have no response.

Nate152
Well it doesn't sound good at this point. Just for fun try your gpu in the 2nd pcie slot just to see if you can get it to boot. Make sure you have the pcie cables fully connected.

You went out and bought a new drive and sata cable so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.

You could also try a different sata port.

If you're getting display with the igpu, then it has to be the 780.