cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battlefield 3 and Overclocking questions.

Mistergone
Level 7
Ok so I have a couple questions but they all revolve around getting the best performance out of BF3 (brilliant game btw). So I have the G73 with the GeForce 460M card and I've been running BF3 on a mix of a few medium settings and a bunch of high, I get about 25-30fps on average which is playable enough but I'm always hoping for more :D.

I started playing around with GPU-Tweak and notice that on stock settings during normal gameplay my card runs around 85-88 deg C, now that seems kind of warm to me but the fans are running fine and I've made sure there isn't any dust/gunk blocking the venting and from what I can tell these cards are pretty good at handling heat (not sure if that's true or not but I haven't been able to find much info on the 460M's). Now after playing around a bit I've set the core at 796 Mhz and the memory at 2600 (from the stock 675 Mhz and 2500), I'm getting mid 30's up to 40fps now I haven't run into any artifacting and the GPU temp jumps to about 90-93 deg C, Now that seems really hot (only 5-7 deg more then standard) but the laptop doesn't feel overly warm and the fan isn't even running at full power so I'm thinking its within acceptable operating temp.

So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions on either BF3 tricks or tricks for the 460M cards, should I focus more on CPU tweaking? I've read about RCtweakit but I haven't been able to find it for download and I freely admit I'm not overly knowledgeable on laptop overclocking. Until I know a bit more I'll probably leave the settings alone, I'd hate to fuck up my system for just a few more fps.
2 REPLIES 2

JRd1st
Level 12
Try the nvidia 285.64, look in my nVidia sticky. Also go to TWeaKFoRCe.CoM and see what they say. Tell them I sent you.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

I have been playing bf3 on my g73sw since it came out in october and I've done a lot of trial and error to get battlefield to run with the most fps while on fairly high settings (mixed settings of Ultra/High). Of course you might have different experiences depending on your machine.
I've had my fair share of issues such as the computer randomly shutting down during gameplay in BF, Crysis, and other very graphic intensive games. But that is with overclocking the GPU and I had to lower my clocks in MSI Afterburner to be able to run Battlefield 3 without random shutdowns.

The shutdowns are not caused by overheating of the GPU or CPU since I run furmark and the gpu never goes over 75C. But this is another issue that hasn't been exactly "fixed" and some theories include increasing the voltage on the GPU and/or using a 180W Power adapter instead of the 150W asus one. But this is getting off topic.

Things you can do to increase performance in BF3:

It seems like your temperatures are a bit high at 90C and should prob blow a can of air through the vents to clear out dust.
Update your nVidia drivers to the latest one (285.67 at this time) in the sticky thread here.
Use Msi Afterburner or Asus Gpu Tweak to carefully OC your GPU. Right now, the only safest clocks I can go to without risk of random shutdown is 765/1530/1453 for BF3. Otherwise I use 825/1650/1600 for Starcraft 2 and other less Gpu intensive games.
Of course these clocks might be different for you if you don't experience random shut downs but your temperatures seem too high as of this moment. You may get artifacts and/or driver crashes if you go too far. Use Furmark to test temperatures.
Try using throttlestop (I'm guessing you have the new sandy bridge g73) as it is a known problem that the cpu throttles down randomly in games to "protect" itself. You should check out the other threads here about throttlestop and how to use it. But I haven't had too much of a difference using it or not.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Oh and don't worry about CPU OCing atm. Especially if you have a sandy bridge, it's not possible for now. BF3 and other newer games are much more GPU intensive instead of CPU.