cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype and Mic

Panda
Level 7
Anybody else with an issue involving Skype, or any other chat device, where if you play a game or enter a game, the sound statics and sounds like water to the other people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CzF8c-BN5A
12 REPLIES 12

dstrakele
Level 14
Do you experience this static and sound like water when you make a recording with Sound Recorder? Does the audio quality of the recording degrade when you launch a game?

What antivirus do you have installed on your laptop?

Whart version of the Realtek HD Audio driver is currently installed on your laptop. Launch Realtek HD Audio Manager and click on the "i" (information) button in the bottom right of the window.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

JRd1st
Level 12
I'm confused, is this an underwater sound or a water running from a faucet sound?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Panda
Level 7
When I recorded with Sound Recorder, or any device using my webcam/mic, I don't personally hear this sound, but others do.
I use Microsoft Security Essentials.
I have Realtek version 6.0.1.6348.
And it's more of a screechy/underwater combination.

JRd1st
Level 12
You mean others someplace on the net or others in the same room with you?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
The test with Sound Recorder is critical. If you DON'T hear the screechy/underwater noise in a Sound Recorder recording (and I would test by launching a game during a recording), but folks on the other end of a Skype conversation with you report the noise, it is likely a transmission problem on your end or a reception problem on their end. If you both turn off the Skype video, do they still report poor audio quality from you in the conversation?

For your Skype conversations, are you using ethernet or wireless. If wireless, is it b/g or n?

On the other hand, if the Sound Recorder recording test gives poor quality audio on playback of the recording, you're looking at a faulty microphone or possibly an audio driver issue.

JRd1st
Level 12
She and one of her friends should swap locations. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Panda
Level 7
Should I RMA?

Panda wrote:
Should I RMA?

If you can produce a Sound Recorder recording that exhibits the noise you describe, then yes, if you want to get the faulty microphone repaired. You could reference the recording and how it was produced to allow ASUS to observe your issue. Alternatively, you could purchase a good USB microphone or headset mic.

If you cannot produce such a recording, it is more likely you are experiencing transmission problems or your friends are experiencing receiving problems. An RMA cannot fix this type of issue. More troubleshooting will be necessary to determine the cause.

JRd1st
Level 12
Sure, if it bothers you that much. But don't be shocked if it comes back after 1 to 3 weeks with the same problem. If your problem is repeatable with no internet involved, then RMA. Otherwise its gonna be a crapshoot.

I would seriously try to swap locafions with one your skype friends if I was you . .. if they don't live in foreign countries, that is. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com