cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of problems with G750JS - Forgets it has nVidia chipset, fan runs constantly...

AgedMachine
Level 7
I just unboxed a G750JS yesterday, and I've had lots of issues. First of all, it came on with the fans running full speed, and that maintained for hours. Eventually, after reinstalling "GPUTweak" and setting the "Power4Gear Hybrid" to "Power Saving Mode" and rebooting, the fans finally quieted down and the machine was operating at a tolerable level -- However, often times once the fans kick in again, they stay running full speed. Even just sitting at the Windows desktop with no applications running.
I've had a few "blue screens of death."

I am beginning to think I have a defective unit, because 'forgetting' it has an NVidia video chipset seems pretty serious.
Right now, the NVidia utilities tell me I need an NVidia chipset to use them. Maybe if I reboot, it will appear again, but I can't keep rebooting my machine every time I boot up and discover it, "oops, forgot" that it has an 870m in it somewhere and it just lost track this time.

Very angry, very unimpressed with what I thought was going to be a great machine.
Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

RAM-disk
Level 7
Return it ASAP, another dud.
"Ram disk" is not an installation procedure !!!

AgedMachine
Level 7
Is this something that's happened to more people? Have replacements worked OK afterward?

RAM-disk
Level 7
Plenty of problems, check the posts in this forum. Here is one http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55955
"Ram disk" is not an installation procedure !!!

AgedMachine
Level 7
I just googled one of the errors (VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR) and it looks like the newest Intel video drivers conflict with NVidia chipsets. I used the one on ASUS's website, installed it, and rebooted - the system came up quiet this time and seems like it might be working... FOR NOW. We'll see. Before that, I also got a blue screen with "DRIVER_STATE_POWER_FAILURE" - possibly related.

If it runs quiet like it is now and stays on and doesn't blue screen, I might be happy.... time will tell, but I don't want to spend all the time loading gigabytes worth of music production software on here if I have to send it back -- the process literally takes days.

AgedMachine
Level 7
More/further info -- the GPUTweak app seems to show the fan at full speed (which it is) a lot of the time, without displaying a temperature. If I switch it back and forth between "run at full speed" - it doesn't make any difference. Once in a great while, *IF* it sees the NVidia chipset as being present, it WILL show the proper fan speed and temperature.

When I turn the unit on, if it's quiet, it usually STAYS quiet, until it is powered off and on again, or rebooted, or goes to sleep and wakes up again - then it's back to full-throttle fan noise again, which is totally unacceptable for my plans to use it in a music studio.

When it IS quiet, you can't hear a thing... but when the fans are on full throttle, it's way too loud. I want this machine to work, but I won't be able to dedicate much more time to it if this continues, and I'll have to go with another brand of notebook for my needs.

l2apsux
Level 7
return while you can. tons of g750 duds. im in the middle of partsing mine out and going back to dell. RETURN WHILE YOU CAN DO IT SAVE YOURSELF!!!!

AgedMachine
Level 7
I contacted their support - they suggested reloading the base image. I pointed out that seemed silly given how new the unit was, but I'll give it a try. If that doesn't fix it, I send it back. I found a reference to one of the issues I see (a ! in Device Manager on the PCIe device 0C01) on, of all things, an Alienware forum - which suggests removing that errant device from Device Manager and rebooting, then reinstalling the video drivers (Intel first, then nVidia) - I will try that first, but... seems doubtful. By tomorrow, I'll know whether or not this thing is going back. I really WANT it to work. *sigh*

AgedMachine
Level 7
Removing the PCIe device and reinstalling did NOT help, nor did reimaging the machine, both from the original drive and to a spare I threw in just for fun. It's going back. 😞 I really wanted this machine to work.

skajuan
Level 7
reset/restore the entire system, if gputweak of power4gear are not functioning properly it might have to do with some error installing other software, i have the g750js and it works very fine, everytime i want to play some game like watch dogs just need to change the profile with power4gear and gputweak speed fan option to full, and thats when the jetstream sounds begins but for me is normal cause you are making the gpu and the cpu work hard.