cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M7F Wifi problems

sWaZi_sKunk
Level 7
I'm having issues when running the Wifi on my Maximus 7 Formula. When over my network it randomly pings out a laggs like crazy. Sometimes I will sustain extremely high ping times. I'm not having any issues with any of my other devices and set the machine to the DMZ even. I have the latest drivers and when I put the lan cable in, everything works fine.
ROG2015 Back in Red&Black
NZXT.H440 ~ M7F ~ i7-4790k ~ Poseidon GTX980 ~ G-Skill 2400 16gb ~ 850Pro 256gb ~ ThermalTake 1050w DPS ~ VG248QE
13 REPLIES 13

FrankScarbrough
Level 7
I would bet this is a driver issue. I've had a similar experience on my M7F actually; Network connectivity was fine for the first couple weeks then one day booted up and found my connectivity was shot. To clarify, I was able to connect to my network, but actually doing anything online was out of the question. And like your situation, other devices on this network were working fine.

Resolved by uninstalling current driver and reinstalling via the disc that came with mobo. I'm confident uninstalling and reinstalling latest driver from the support page would work fine too, I only did the disc because it just happened to be close by.

Good luck man & nice rig 😛

sWaZi_sKunk
Level 7
Thanks for the reply bud, I'm going to try re-installing tonight. Prob of the problem setting the the rig has honestly been the lack of optical drive. I may just pick up a cheap external to run when I need haha.
NZXT.H440 ~ M7F ~ i7-4790k ~ Poseidon GTX980 ~ G-Skill 2400 16gb ~ 850Pro 256gb ~ ThermalTake 1050w DPS ~ VG248QE

Eh, the problem persists. Been a few days of bliss, and now my WiFi connection is shot again. Tested with other WiFi devices in the same room and they're all clocking significantly higher DL & UL speeds. I noticed if I check the speeds on my M7F right when I boot, the connection is great, but after a few minutes of gaming the lag sets in. I'll toy with it this weekend...please let me know if you find any solutions too.

-Frank

Edit:
Did some quick latency tests:
Ping 127.0.0.1 -t
1ms respones - the chip is fine.

ping www.google.com -t
consistently between 20-30ms...this is fine

ping -t
Intermittent slow respones and packet loss.

I ended up switching from my 2.4ghz signal to my 5ghz signal (from the same AP). And without rebooting or anything (I even left all 3 ping tests running) I saw the improvement instantly.
Check your home, access point, and outside of your network latency and you might be able to pinpoint the issue.

TL;DR:
Interference on 2.4ghz signal.

sWaZi_sKunk
Level 7
I'm going to do this tonight when I get home, re-installing all the drivers hasn't seemed to help.

sWaZi sKunk wrote:
I'm going to do this tonight when I get home, re-installing all the drivers hasn't seemed to help.

I agree, most likely a driver issue.

Do you have pics of your rig. Sounds awesome.

sWaZi_sKunk
Level 7
I tried re installing the most current driver from the Asus page, it didn't seem to help. I'm going to mess with my router a little now and give that a shot.

I dont have any serious pictures of the build yet, I have a lot of it together temp to play with until I can get my water-loop in. I've been having some... worries about what to and not to get for water parts, other then the Poseidon card that is :cool:

sWaZi_sKunk
Level 7
Alright so I re installed my drivers by going into uninstalling Broadcom 802.11ac network adapter,
going to Asus Driver page and downloading WIFI_Win7-8-8-1_V6342235,

Here are my pings after,
127.0.0.1 <1ms no variations
www.google.com 36-41ms with getting a request timed out every once and a while
192.168.1.1 ~1ms with more requests timing out periodically

sWaZi_sKunk
Level 7
Frank, buddy I turned for my 2.4ghz channel, now on just 5ghz

No more time outs, going to game a little and see what happens!
EDIT: Ping times down as well but now the girlfriends PS3 doesn't connect 😛

sWaZi sKunk wrote:
Frank, buddy I turned for my 2.4ghz channel, now on just 5ghz

No more time outs, going to game a little and see what happens!
EDIT: Ping times down as well but now the girlfriends PS3 doesn't connect 😛

Glad to hear changing frequency worked for you too 😄

In regards to still connecting devices that cannot find a 5ghz signal (like her PS3 and likely many other devices in your house), you can either use a dual band router to send out both 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals. Or you can chain an older router into your network and just use it as an access point for 2.4ghz devices. Disable DHCP and assign static IPs, should work fine. I actually have my dual band as an access point off my gateway in my house just to improve signal in the areas far from it.

Keep in mind a 5ghz signal doesn't have as much range as 2.4ghz so place it appropriate to your computer/devices that will use it.

Game on brother!

Edit: @Sneaky2Toes
You can check your WiFi settings on your router's page by:
open a command prompt (Win+R then enter "cmd" without quotes)
In the command prompt enter "ipconfig/all"
Find the line that says default gateway... and take note of the ip listed there.
Type that address in the URL of your web browser.
you might be prompted with a login box before you can access the router settings. the credentials are likely
admin/password. If that doesn't work search Google for credentials for your router.
Once on the settings page, navigate to WiFi settings to view all the details.
Don't change settings without proper knowledge.

Feel free to PM me, I don't want to bump this any more since OP's problem is resolved.