cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751-JY - NVIDIA NEW DRIVERS! And NEW HOT TEMPERATURES!

JasenDoe
Level 7
Hello everyone! This is my first post!
Tho I have been stalking all of you trough the forums and posts!
A lot of thanx to HMscott and nitrox and everyone, oh God I hope I spelled that right, CBA to go check in new tab now it's late!

Anyway let's move on to the thing you are here for!
Yesterday - 22.01.2015 new drivers for nvidia just came out late at night.
A lot of stuff like 3d something, multi render something ... all that tehnical mumbo-jumbo 🙂

Anyway I'm using a G751 with i7 4860HQ , that is UNDERVOLTED to -75mV on both cache and offset of procesor!
( thank you to the posts about undervolting with XTU guys ! ! ! )

And I have run my daily Firestrike benchmark.

I am ussualy around 8500, but with this new drivers I'm going to 8600 and just now 8640+ , WICH IS GREAT!
But my temps on the benchmark are now around 81 degrees! And before that it was around 77-78 MAX!

Also in games with everything maxed out like farcry 4 I have temps around 87 degrees NOW and before it was 83-84 MAX !
( that is with -75 mv undervolt ).
League of legends is like never above 70 degrees...

So temps went up around +3°C, but preformance also went up just a little.

I have been using the Notebook fan control ( with the profile for g751 that was uploaded THANK you very much mister ❤️ ! ), till today when it went APES#!T during a game,
seems that vents went down to minimum at one point but went back after few secs, that made temps go to 93 DEGREES!
( we are talking about procesor ofc ! )

So I decided to uninstall it and delete it ( it was great for a while, temps never went over 85 during regular gaming - like planetside2, warthunder etc .)
But it went mad for a second and that made me worrie, so off it goes, now its around 87 degrees again on everything maxed ( 76 degrees on GPU ).

Also since we are not using the integrated procesor graphics, could it be disabled so we can undervolt eaven more?
I have a feeling it's just making heat for nothing but we are still giving it the required amount of volts....

LONG STORY SHORT - TL;DR
MAKE MORE AGRESSIVE FAN PROFILES ASUS THAT ARE LEGIT THANK YOU!
NEW DRIVERS - MORE HEAT - LITTLE MORE PREFORMANCE! ( let's wait for DirectX 12 that will give a lot of preformance and less power consumption as they say! )

Sorry for my medicore english, peace from CROATIA!
A worried asus owner.
20 REPLIES 20

NitroX
Level 10
Hello JasenDoe! Firstly, I apologize for what happened with the NBFC profile if you used the one that I uploaded. I know that it has issues and I'm currently trying to get to the source of it and eventually make a stable profile.

As for the graphics driver, I've also noticed an increase in CPU temp while gaming after I updated to 347.09 drivers. Since then I went back to 344.75 just to continue my tests with the same drivers. The temperature increase can actually be due to performance (FPS) increase. What I've noticed is that the CPU gets hotter as the FPS increases, so if the GPU will perform better this will stress the CPU even more to be able to keep the pace with the GPU. So yea, from this point of view, it's not that strange to get increased temperatures if the FPS also went up.

The bad thing is that we keep getting updates that increase our temps and not lowering them -_- . I just played Crysis 3 yesterday with NBFC at max (3300rpm) and maximum undervolt (-90mv core , -100mv cache +34x on all cores) and the peak temperature was 88C ... I mean WHAT THE HELL!! The average was indeed around 79-80C but that peak made me worry. If with Undervolt and the fans running at max I managed to get that peak temperature then if I would use stock fan profile + stock volts the temps would get to a level where my CPU would throttle. Totally unacceptable!
I currently run the CPU at x32 on all cores when I'm gaming just to keep the temps under 80C. I am considering a repaste at the warranty service but I don't really have the time right now, and I'm also worried about letting them open my unit...

As for the integrated GPU, I don't think that it gets any power since it is disabled . The temp on the CPU GT Cores (which I presume that is the graphics chip in HWInfo) is always lower than all other CPU temps. Meaning in fact that it doesn't work and produce any heat, but being so close to the other components some heat is also transfered to it.

I have been talking to ASUS Support and they told me that they will announce the developer team about this fan problem. They told me to check the website for Bios updates . Now, we don't have much to do. Just to wait.
You could also send a technical feedback explaining the temp problem and ask for a new fan profile just to keep the pressure on the dev. team:
https://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm?lang=en-us .

Your english is more than ok 😉 . Don't worry, cheer up. This is still a beast of a machine. Just that the temps aren't quite what we were expecting.

JasenDoe
Level 7
Thank you Nitrox for that great reply!

I would like to say that yes I was using your profile with notebook fan + bios 205, but after this update they just went mad for a short time, enough to get me worried. So I had to uninstall, I have no problems with fans being too loud, when they are on 3100 I can barely hear them.
And they never pass 3100 with stock fan option. I would like to see a fan profile for hardcore gaming, like 3300 RPM when it gets to 75°C ! That would be awesome!

Anyway, I'm around 87 degrees now on CPU with this new Drivers.... my problem is that we had a performance boost of around 1.5%.

Mine 8500~ on firestrike went up to 8650 now last test today, that is boost of around 1.5% and we got +3°C on CPU and at least +1-2°C on GPU!

This is ridiculous ! 1.5% preformance for 3 degrees more ? ! No thank you!

I will be sticking to this NVIDIA update, because I want to test the high temperatures!
And if I have problems with temperatures/paste job on cpu I want it to burn-out so I can get a new one before warranty 🙂

Also I don't think us g751jy owners have a problem with bad paste job, we all have temperatures around 85-90 with hardcore gaming ( no undervolt and maxed out settings and no fan profile - high performance on battery - it could go even higher ).

Most of us have this problem, undervolting will give you 3-4 maybe eaven 5°C , but that will not solve the problem.

I have noticed that with the nvidia update, it didn't just come with graphics drivers and nvidia Physx, ( I always select custom install to see what I am downloading ) , it came with some multi-something and 3d-something.... a lot of drivers that maybe us without 3d screen don't need?
I don't know...just throwing out ideas here....

When I asked if we could undervolt eaven more because we are not using the integrated graphics, I though that since we don't use it...and volts are going to the cpu like the cpu is using it ( since it doesn't know it it is using it, and it is taking all the volts it needs for normal use ).
So I though, maybe it could get killed so we could remove all the milivolts from the cpu.

But anyway, I don't think all of us got a bad paste job, since we all have temps that go around 85 while gaming for over an hour.

Thank you for the post again NitroX, and yes I will be posting and bugging the dev team to make the new fan profile MUCH more agressive.
If you want a quite laptop go buy something slim without dedicated graphics...this is a beast of a laptop and it's ROAR should be POWERFUL haha! 🙂

Anyway keep the updates coming! I am not liking this new temperatures ! ! !

sk3tch
Level 7
As long as you're not seeing throttling while gaming (key is: while gaming; NOT benchmarking) those temps are not crazy. Use something like MSI Afterburner to run a graph of temps versus GPU speed and utilization while you play - you can then see if those temps are affecting anything other than you. 🙂
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

sk3tch wrote:
As long as you're not seeing throttling while gaming (key is: while gaming; NOT benchmarking) those temps are not crazy. Use something like MSI Afterburner to run a graph of temps versus GPU speed and utilization while you play - you can then see if those temps are affecting anything other than you. 🙂

I am using MSI afterburner, and yes I have never went above 88°C on high gaming after 3-4 hours ( 81 degrees on firestrike benchmark ), but my ambient temp is around 24 ( i'm around 1 meter away from a radiator in my room ).

But imagine, hot summer, in Croatia....a toasty lan party of Civilization for over 8 hours straight ( yes we are stupid like that )....
I think it will come to thermal throttle then, that is why we need at least an option to set fans to gaming profile, cmon the laptop is not loud at all.

When I was using the notebook fan control I have never been over 83 degrees, but sometimes the fans go lower then on stock settings, that made it burn up to 93 degrees. I hope you can make a more agressive fan profile, legit or the notebook fan control one. Now it's around 87 max with the new drivers without the fan control.

Also my core #1 seems to be 1-2°C hotter then core #0, is this normal ( 4860HQ ) ?!
Core 0 - 85 degrees
Core 1 - 87 degrees

Point is : We get new drivers that use the graphics card more efficiently, and we get more FPS and more heat.
The performance is 1.5% better, but the temperature is +3°C, and fans are same.
Doesn't that worrie you?

P.S. Guys what are your scores and temps with the NEW DRIVER on firestrike? And what are your temps while gaming? I just did another firestrike test 8655 and this was the first with the drivers approved from 3Dmark, all tests before with the new driver showed that drivers were not approved, now they are, temps still high tho 😞

sk3tch
Level 7
Firestrike:

Before (NVIDIA 347.09)

After (NVIDIA 347.25)

GPU maxed out at 76C. CPU at 79C.

The Firestrike results are inconsequential and can be considered "the same" if you factor in margin of error.

And no - it's not abnormal to have one core hotter than another.
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

sk3tch wrote:
Firestrike:

Before (NVIDIA 347.09)

After (NVIDIA 347.25)

GPU maxed out at 76C. CPU at 79C.

The Firestrike results are inconsequential and can be considered "the same" if you factor in margin of error.

And no - it's not abnormal to have one core hotter than another.

I know that it is normal to have the core 0 hotter then core 1, but other way round I am not so sure, do you know?

What are your gaming temps, and are you undervolting at all?

I went from 8500 to 8650, dunno seems like an upgrade, maybe yes marginal error, but the frame rate is noticable in some parts of the firestrike test.

sk3tch
Level 7
I ran BF4 MP in spectator mode for over an hour. The same test that I had run previously (under 347.09). Here are the temp results...(I played it full screen - I just showed windowed mode for the purposes of the screenshot):

Before (NVIDIA 347.09)
CPU Max 90C; GPU Max 83C

(click to enlarge)

After (NVIDIA 347.25)
CPU Max 88C; GPU Max 80C

(click to enlarge)

EDIT: I have all of this data due to writing a review on my laptop - here.

Again - within margin of error for tests. I could re-run it and have numbers slightly higher or lower.

I am not undervolted. I think that undervolting/clocking components is stupid.

My temps are actually lower with the new drivers. Therefore - it's likely there is something wrong with your machine.

JasenDoe
Level 7
My cpu is 88-87 max , and gpu never goes over 78, that means there is nothing wrong with machine, since gpu temps are better then yours and same on both drivers, I just got 3 more degrees on CPU coz of the update, that is a bit too much to call it marginal error. Also your first picture shows cpu on 90 degrees :S Ugh, me not like 😄

I want it to run around 83 degrees MAX, it should be able to do it with the fans we have, it's just that the profile is made for those who prefer gaming in ultra silent mode, so they can hear the sniper load his bullet 3km away... or something 🙂

JasenDoe wrote:
My cpu is 88-87 max , and gpu never goes over 78, that means there is nothing wrong with machine, since gpu temps are better then yours and same on both drivers, I just got 3 more degrees on CPU coz of the update, that is a bit too much to call it marginal error. Also your first picture shows cpu on 90 degrees :S Ugh, me not like 😄

I want it to run around 83 degrees MAX, it should be able to do it with the fans we have, it's just that the profile is made for those who prefer gaming in ultra silent mode, so they can hear the sniper load his bullet 3km away... or something 🙂

You're right. I corrected my typo.

I think the only thing we can learn from your post is not to jump to conclusions. You've gone up 3 degrees? In one test? Two? Try running more. That is not a significant boost.

90 degrees is high for the CPU, but not out of bounds.

100 degrees is the TJ max for my CPU. Reference: http://ark.intel.com/products/78930/Intel-Core-i7-4710HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

It would be nice to have more fan control. That's one thing I think we can agree on.