cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey ASUS.... About DirectCU

Heini
Level 11
I hope we will see DirectCU III soon, the DC2 is too big.
12 REPLIES 12

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
On what card? all 3 Strix versions 960, 970 and 980 are all dual slot width cards.

X-ROG
Level 15
Wut?

sWaZi_sKunk
Level 7
Big compared to what? 😮
ROG2015 Back in Red&Black
NZXT.H440 ~ M7F ~ i7-4790k ~ Poseidon GTX980 ~ G-Skill 2400 16gb ~ 850Pro 256gb ~ ThermalTake 1050w DPS ~ VG248QE

A couple of days ago I switched back to ASUS cards from the ACX2 brand. I had to 'over' manipulate the gpu's power cables to keep them out of the 200mm fan in the top of my case. I've never had this problem before with DC2 cards, And for what it's worth, the Strix is idling about 8dC warmer than the ACX2 and taking considerably longer to cool down after the fans turn off. Since the only thing that's changed is the gpu I have to assume it's the card/cooler that's grown.

Heini wrote:
A couple of days ago I switched back to ASUS cards from the ACX2 brand. I had to 'over' manipulate the gpu's power cables to keep them out of the 200mm fan in the top of my case. I've never had this problem before with DC2 cards, And for what it's worth, the Strix is idling about 8dC warmer than the ACX2 and taking considerably longer to cool down after the fans turn off. Since the only thing that's changed is the gpu I have to assume it's the card/cooler that's grown.

1) I can't understand your case setup. Your GPU should be near your side case fan not your top, above the CPU. The cables typically come from the side or bottom. It's slightly wider than the PCB - no more than most other aftermarket cooled cards.

2) Of course the Strix idles warmer: the fans are off. Core to core manufacturing differences could certainly account for slight changes in idle temperatures. Really they do not matter that much. As long as it's cooled sufficiently to boost fully when loaded, without being too loud, then we've got success.

My case... picture a 200mm fan under the mesh top.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

ACX2 to Strix is apples to oranges. Really nothing to base the card's growth rate on.

Praz wrote:
ACX2 to Strix is apples to oranges. Really nothing to base the card's growth rate on.

"I had to 'over' manipulate the gpu's power cables to keep them out of the 200mm fan in the top of my case. I've never had this problem before with DC2 cards."

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Helps to look at the specs to see he meant taller card lol. And holy crapbucket man!! Have you considered a low profile CPU cooler? you'd probably get better air movement in that case and probably a cooler running card to boot.