cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7680 x 1440 gaming at 144hz

sp33d3ple
Level 9
Just wanted to share my latest build for all the triple-monitor lovers out there. After getting hold of 3 ROG SWIFT's, I started working on putting together this little monster. I had gotten hold of 3 Poseidons a while ago, when they went on sale at Newegg, and have been waiting for the last 3 months to get a hold of the Swifts, which finally started to pop out.

The concept was simple: cram as much as possible in as little as possible, keep the costs to a bare minimum, and delivering maximum power/$ to drive these 3 awesome monitors at 144hz...

Started with a Case-Labs Mercury S8 case, and planted an asrock x79 Extreme 11 mobo on it. Please don't hate me! I love ASUS! But I have to give credit where credit is due, and the x79 Extreme 11 is on a league of its own for 2 very important reasons: first) this board has 2 PLX chips supporting 4 PCIE at 16x, and second) the board comes with a dedicated LSI raid controller with direct 16x channel to the CPU supporting 8 x Sata 6.0GB ports. This meant I could have faster than avg loading times...

Next were the video cards and these cats were just waiting to purr... I picked these 3 cards because they represent the pinnacle of hybrid cooling IMO. And btw, I loved it when I heard that ASUS ROG team was going to build a hybrid card. Being a proud owner of one of the original Ares card, which I decided to hybrid cool it back in 2012 (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17615-Project-lt-lt-Open-Wind-gt-gt-First-photos&highlight...), and seeing the Poseidon hybrid technology come to life just had me melt...

My choice of CPU was the true and proven(an old chip 😉 laying around) i7-3930k matched by 32GB of Ripjaws X Series2400 F3-2400C11Q-32GXM. Then picked up 5 x Samsung 256gb 840 Pro's to use 1 for the OS, and 4 in Raid 0 on the LSI card for insane game load times.

Power was supplied by the proven AX1200, which is doing well for now, but don't know hfor sure how long it will last...

Slapped an XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay - DDC Dual Pump / Dual Split Reservoirs with 2 x EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin Radiators mounted on top of the case, and 16 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 2000 RPM for optimal and efficient cooling. A couple of Lamptron 30W - 8 Channel Aluminum Rheobus (FC-8) controllers did the job of managing the above, and I went to work.

While my tubing, and arrangement of the parts has been neither clean nor perfect, the purpose of going with simple and cheap connectors was because unlike the pro's who bend and polish acrylic, I live in the real world, and I will need to take apart and put this machine back together many times (no offense to the pros! I am inspired by all of you)...hence no need for fancy jobs, or cable management. Does it work?

Needles to say, the end result is nothing short of a gratifying and superb BF4 gaming experience, which I can love and appreciate every time I sit in front of it.

Just want to say thank you to the ASUS ROG team for putting together these amazing video cards, and most importantly the Swift ROG monitors. The ROG team has been without a doubt the front runner on technology innovation for the last few years. And being able to game at 7680 x 1440 with 144hz is the pinnacle of FPS gaming in my book.

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
That my friend is a thing of beauty, and I agree I don't think it gets better than what you've done. It will be a while before a single gpu can handle 4k at at least 60FPS.

The ROG swifts look great in surround too, they seem to have nice thin bezels.

Just beautiful !

Antronman
Level 10
Well. All that's left is to cluster two of those I suppose.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

X-ROG
Level 15
Can I use your pics/story on the front page and Facebook? 😄 Awesome setup!

sp33d3ple
Level 9
Sure thing bud! Glad you like it 🙂

hax0rmort
Level 11
Beautiful!
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
I enjoyed reading this - you, sir, have a beautiful machine.

I especially enjoyed the "keep the costs to a bare minimum" part.

Game on.

Z

sp33d3ple
Level 9
lol...nice one Doc!

Yes, it may seem a lot at first, but aside the monitors and the videocards, everything else that I put in, from pc hardware to liquid cooling parts, are at least 2 - 3 yrs old 🙂

and btw, the gtx 780 Poseidon's were going for $335 a piece back in October on newegg...when the 980's came out ...and that's what I was referring to "bare minimum", after reading this review: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/25/asus_rog_poseidon_gtx_780_video_card_review/11#.VM5LbaN0yf...

roxxas049
Level 7
Could you share a link for that wallpaper? I'd like to use that on my eyefinity layout.

sp33d3ple
Level 9