cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Won't boot with graphics card installed.

ElectricCowBoy
Level 7
Specs:
ASUS Maximus VI formula BIOS Version: 1603 (American Megatrends Inc.)
ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Corsair Hydro Series H10
Intel i7 4790k @ 4.0GHz
Corsair RM650 PSU

Info: I'm using HDMI for my video out and a Samsung 32" C450 LCD TV
(LE32C450E1W)
I get video output and it posts, boots goes into the OS using the Intel chipset but when I put the GPU in any of the PCI-E slots and
the PCI-E power cables into the card and boot the system, I get error code: b6 and it doesn't post.
I don't know if my card is faulty or what?, both of the green lights come on my card telling my I've plugged the power in correctly
and both fans on GPU spin up, I've tried replacing the thermal paste on the GPU stripping it cleaning the dust out etc. since it has been sitting for a while. I will try the GPU on another system at my College on Monday, but I'd prefer not to. I've tried clearing the CMOS using the button on the back, disabling fast boot and pressing the directkey button. I've tried booting with 1 DIMM, I've tried booting with DIMM's in different channels etc. but still no boot with the GPU, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Please don't comment on the cable management at the moment:), I'm just trying to get it to work and I have no idea about the PCI-E connections they look like they're for SLI but they're the only ones I have in the box and my card has 1 6pin PCIE port and 1 8pin PCIE port, I have also tried using molex adapters to power the GPU to no avail.
41 REPLIES 41

ElectricCowBoy
Level 7
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=eFrqewvA
If It's any good to you, here is the CPU-Z Report.

Nate152
Hello ElectricCowboy and welcome

Those are the correct cables and you want to connect both the 6 pin and 8 pin (6+2).

Your psu is fully modular, make sure you have the pcie cables connected to the proper outlets on your psu.

wa3pnt
Level 7
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears that there is no power being supplied to the EATX12V-1 and EATX12V-2 connectors at the top left of the Motherboard.

These are item 3 in the manual on page 1-7.

RodeoGeorge

I don't have enough cables to power both slots, one is a 4 pin and one is an 8 pin and i only have 2 4 pin connectors:( I currently have one of the 4pins in EATX12v_2 and it's working but only on the chipset.

Nate152
your psu should have 4 pci-e cables, look with your cables again.

You should have two 2+6 pin PCI - E cables.

Nooooo, I'm talking about the connectors at the top of the board referencing, wa3pnt:)

Nate152
You should have four 6+2 pin PCI-E cables, look with your cables again.

You will need 2 of those.

Nate152
If you are referring to the cpu power cables it seems you have the 8 pin cpu power connected. I don't think your psu comes with an extra 4 pin cpu power cable so you might want to remove what you have in there.

The 4 pin is only needed for extreme overclocking.

Yeah it comes with 2 4 pin CPU power cables only but I only have one in, is that right?