cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory not working, 2- and 3-way SLI not working - ???

kattz
Level 7
Hello -

I've been building PC's since '92, and have been using ASUS ROG boards since they've issued. Yes, there have been some dogs, but for the most part, they are top-notch and I won't consider any other mobo but ASUS.

Even now...:mad:

System:
Maximus VI Extreme mobo
BIOS 1603
Core i7-4790K CPU, running rock steady at 4.8GHz
4 X 8Gb each Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 RAM DIMMs, 9-9-9-24, 1.50VDC, tested and verified as compatible from Crucial, all are operational
3 X EVGA GTX760 OC GPU's, all working and known to be good
Corsair 1200AXi PSU

All PSU connections are made but two - the mini-4-pin EZPLUG 2, and the 4-pin 12V power at the top of the board. According to ASUS, the 4 pin or the 6 pin is ok, or both, but at least one must be connected to the PSU. I am using the 6 pin connector, as well as EZPLUG 1.

Here's the weirdness:

I can boot with one 8Gb DIMM in DIMM slot A1, or two 8Gb DIMMs in A1 and B1, but if I put DIMM's in A1 and A2, or all four DIMM's for 32Gb, the board posts an error 55.

I'm running an XMP profile (only one is available), and all DRAM timings and voltages are correct. Nothing I do helps.

2nd weirdness - I can place one GPU in any slot and boot up. If I place the GPU's in 2-way or 3-way SLI configuration per the guides on the site and per the manual, the computer will not boot. Latest drivers are installed.

So, memory is broken and SLI is broken. A little help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kev
4 REPLIES 4

jab383
Level 13
With the inability to boot, how have you determined that the CPU is rock steady? That the DRAM and GTX60s are operational? Perhaps you have tried them in another MB? What happens with DRAM in B1 and B2 only? (Looking for isolation that may say socket A2 has a bent pin or something.) Have you inspected the CPU socket since mounting this CPU - remove it and look for bent pins. (Unlikely with A1 and B1 working, but it's on the checklist.) What CPU cooling? Firm, even, and not too tight seating of a cooler is also on the checklist.

Bent socket pins are a possible cause of PCIe failures, but the M6E has another one - the Plex chip that expands the CPU's 16 PCIe lanes to multiple 16-lane sockets. The Plex chip is a bear to troubleshoot and needs a MB RMA to fix. I suggest flipping the four PCIe socket switches a couple of times to be sure they have good contact internally.

Memory and PCIe are derived from the CPU System Agent. Vccsa, Vio-a and Vio-d effect these connections. A small increase, manually in BIOS, may help - about .02 to .05 volts keeping the differences between the voltages constant.

Good luck

Jeff

Nate152
One of the two connections that isn't being made concerns me and that is the 6 pin EZ plug. You will need that connected when running 2 or more gpu's and you have 3.

Get that connected and see how you go.

kattz
Level 7
Thanks, guys. Let me clarify some items in my post -

The system will boot, but with one GPU only and a DIMM in either slot A1, or in A1 and B1. B1 and B2 will not work. A1 and A2 will not work. B1 by itself will not work, but A1 will. All four will not work if populated together. Only A1 and A1/B1 combination works.

I pulled all of the DIMMS and the CPU already and carefully checked with an LED flashlight and magnifier for bent pins. PCIe slots as well. Nothing.

The cooler is a Corsair H100 closed - loop liquid system. Because of the stud design, you can't go nuts and overtighten them.

Regarding the PSU connections, the 8-pin EATX12V at the top of the board is in use, but the 4-pin EATX12V connection is not.

Because of the multiple GPU's, yes, the 6-pin EZPLUG1 connector is in use.

The computer was POSTed and a full boot as well with all three GPUs and all four DIMMs individually. All of them work.

I can place a GPU into any PCIe slot and the computer will boot. All of the lane switches have been checked.

I will try the voltage bump as recommended.

BTW, I'm posting this message from the computer in question.

I'm going to keep on looking, but I'm smelling an RMA here...

If anyone comes up with anything else, please, by all means, post it here. I'm desperate to get this machine going.

Thanks.

Kev

Nate152
All right

you got it to post with all 3gpu's that's a good thing however still an issue with the ram.

Bent cpu socket pins will cause your problem too, so scratch that off the list.

If you'r ram's on the QVL list, it's more than likely a board problem.