cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarifications Before Buying G751JT-CH71

bluebubblea
Level 7
I'm looking to buy the G751 with specific model, G751JT-CH71.
So I need some clarifications before buying this laptop.
I've heard that some models don't have the M.2 PCI-E x4 slot installed. So does this model have the M.2 PCI-E x4 slot installed already? I'm thinking to buy a M.2 SSD in the future.

I've also heard that the second drive bay on some models is SATA II. I've contacted the reseller and they said the 2nd drive bay on this model, G751JT-CH71, is SATA III.
So is the 2nd drive bay on this model SATA III? Since I'm planning to setup RAID 0 for 1st and 2nd drive bays.

Lastly, about the optical drive bay. Is the optical drive bay SATA II or III?
I'm planning to replace it with a HDD using ODD bay.
So if the optical bay is SATA III, I might consider setting up RAID 0 for it and the 2nd drive bay and using M.2 SSD on the 1st drive bay.:cool:
2 REPLIES 2

Zip1
Level 7
Based on discussions you can find throughout this forum;

All G751JT and JY models do have a M.2 PCI slot in bay 1, the CH71 does NOT provide a M.2 support bracket

The second HD bay is SATA II

(exception: JM models, which seem to be repurposed G750s, have SATA III in both bays and NO M.2 slot)

The optical bay is SATA I

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yep bluebubblea, the 2nd bay is only SATA II, and then there is the issue with sound. I would have worked around the sound issue since we've had it since the G75VW, There are a couple of different mod out there one to re route the SATA III connector in bay 1 then you could have the m.2 drive and SATA III drive in bay 2. Another one I've heard of is taking well with your model you won't have the M.2 adapter anyway but to mount the m.2 with tape and then a SSD without the caddy would fit also being taped in place. Yep I have a JY in my cart at xtopic and finding this out stopped me from checking out. I have no Idea what Asus was thinking to put a SATA II connection in the 2 drive bay.
One thing though the M.2 drive would be much faster than 2 SSD on SATA III connections in raid configuration. These current M.2 SSD are really fast and with new generations coming out soon I wouldn't get to hung up on setting up a raid.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro