cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues reinstalling Power4Gear Hybrid in G74

Retired
Not applicable
Hey there guys, I have purchased this G74SX a few months ago and its been nothing short of amazing. I have usually come to the forums and got all the fixes I need for the laptop too (numpad issues, etc). However, there is this one thing which I can't seem to do which is to reinstall the Power4Gear Hybrid.

Just yesterday the ROG button somehow went dead, and it did not change the power plan when I clicked it. I know the button is not busted because when I right clicked the battery symbol to launch Power4Gear, nothing happens too. I can only launch Power4Gear from the Start Menu. I figured something must be wrong with it, and simply uninstalled both the ATK Package and Power4Gear. Upon reinstalling, the ATK Package reinstalled fine, but I can't seem to reinstall Power4Gear. Both the utility from the CD and website will fail with the message "The installer was interrupted before ASUS Power4Gear Hybrid can be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again." Did it so many times, and yet the same message appears.

Any idea on what seems to be the issue? I have tried installing both ATK Packages from the CD and website and the same error comes up. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers!
17 REPLIES 17

JRd1st
Level 12
Search for HCcontrol.executive and run it. It's part of ATK, I think. Then try to install P4G. If that doesn't work, uninstall ATK restart, then reinstall etc.

Good luck, man!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick response! 🙂 I found HCcontrol.exe and ran it. Unfortunately it didn't work and the same error still came up, which is rather annoying. 😕 I don't understand what's causing the installation to fail.

JRd1st
Level 12
Have you tried downloading it again? Perhaps that installer is corrupted.

Also, try disabling your AV program just for the install.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Yeah I have downloaded it a few times, and I have tried using the installer from the drivers CD too. Didn't work unfortunately. I tried running it as admin and disabling the AV too. Didn't work as well.

JRd1st
Level 12
Make sure you don't have an uninstall option for it in Control Panel >> Programs and Featrues, then -

Look in C:\Program Files\ for a folder P4G. It may be a subfolder in C:\Program Files\ASUS Delete it!

Download CCleaner and do a reg cleanup, restart Windows try to install again.

Let me know if this helps, I have more ideas.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Here's the list of things I tried so far:

- Creating a new user account and installing it from that account
- Un-registered and re-registered the Windows Installer service from command prompt

It definitely isn't an issue with windows installer, I have had no problems installing and uninstalling the ATK package.

- As you suggested, I also cleaned out the registry and restarted. The installation still didn't work.
- I have checked Control Panel, the program is not there. I have tried repairing it before uninstalling it, that also failed for some reason. And I have also previously deleted the P4G folder before posting here.

Retired
Not applicable
Also tried changing the compatibility to Vista, still didn't work.

JRd1st
Level 12
Look in your power management. Do you only have the 3 standard configs, or are the P4G configs still there?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Just the 3 standard configs,the P4G configs are gone since it was uninstalled