cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to overclocking, 4690k ,Maximus VII Ranger

Everest_
Level 7
Hi guys,

I just got my new PC and i would like to overclock my CPU.
I don't have any experience with overclocking.

My hardware:
Maximus VII Ranger
Dark Rock Pro3
2x4gb Corsair Vengeance LP

The only thing i changed in my BIOS was my RAM to 1600.

Thanks in advance! 🙂
33 REPLIES 33

Nate152
Hello Everest_ and welcome

Overclocking your cpu is easy and temperature controls how far you can overclock it.

Download these 3 programs, ROG realbench, real temp 3.70 and ROG cpu-z

when you get these three programs installed let me know and also list your psu for me too please.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Everest_ and welcome

Overclocking your cpu is easy and temperature controls how far you can overclock it.

Download these 3 programs, ROG realbench, real temp 3.70 and ROG cpu-z

when you get these three programs installed let me know and also list your psu and cpu cooler for me too please.

Thank you for your time.
My CPU cooler is be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 and my PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2.
I installed the programs.

Nate152
Thank you!

All right, you are fast and on the ball.

First lets do a test at stock settings to see where temperatures are. Open up realbench, real temp and cpu-z.

In realbench click on stress test beside benchmark, turn it white and select how many GB of ram you have which is 8GB then select the 15 minute test.

Click start and monitor your temps with real temp, take a look at cpu-z and see how much voltage it's drawing.

When the test has completed, post your maximum temps and the voltage it was drawing please.

Everest_
Level 7
Ok, i'll get back to you in 15 minutes.

Nate152
Ok

The temps will give us an idea of how far you can overclock, the better your cooling the further you can overclock.

Ok it's finished max temp is 66 and the voltage was pretty much always 1.117V. I noticed that my CPU cooler was running at half of it's speed, don't know if that matters.

Nate152
Sorry for the late reply.

All right that's great temps now let's see how far temps will let you go. Increasing the voltage will increase the temp.

Go into the bios and hit F5 to set defaults, set the ai overclock tuner to X.M.P., sync all cores and set the cpu core ratio to 42 and the cpu core voltage to 1.25v, F10 and enter to save and exit.

Run the stress test again for 15 minutes monitoring real temp and cpu-z.

You will be at 4.2GHz. What are temps after running the test now?

Nate152 wrote:
Sorry for the late reply.

All right that's great temps now let's see how far temps will let you go. Increasing the voltage will increase the temp.

Go into the bios and hit F5 to set defaults, set the ai overclock tuner to X.M.P., sync all cores and set the cpu core ratio to 42 and the cpu core voltage to 1.25v, F10 and enter to save and exit.

Run the stress test again for 15 minutes monitoring real temp and cpu-z.

You will be at 4.2GHz. What are temps after running the test now?

No problem man, my core voltage is 1.249V and max temp is 71.

Nate152
That's very good for a heat sink cooler,

Go back into the bios and just raise the cpu core ratio to 43, F10 and enter. We'll see how far you can get before it becomes unstable at 1.25v.

Run the test like you did and post your temps for me, which they shouldn't change much if any since we did not raise the voltage.

You will now be at 4.3GHz.