cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd HDD disappears from Windows, iaStor error in Event Viewer

Yahooligan
Level 7
Has anyone seen this? It's a new problem that first started a couple of days back. A search reveals that it may be related to LPM (Linked Power Mode) and sounds like it may be powering off the drive.

The error in Event Viewer is:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

If I reboot then the drive shows back up and works fine. So far this has happened twice. Once on Monday and then again today.

Going to do some more digging in the meantime, will update if I find anything useful.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:
23 REPLIES 23

JRd1st
Level 12
If you don't look at the Event Viewer, what are the symptoms?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
If you don't look at the Event Viewer, what are the symptoms?

My 😧 drive disappears when I'm not looking. I did put in a different second drive, but that was about a week ago. I just went into P4G Hybrid and noticed it's set to have the HDDs sleep after 5 hours. I just disabled it, so we'll see if that makes any difference.
--
Yahooligan

380mcn
Level 9
my computer at work sometimes doesn't see the 2nd hd. turns out to be a faulty sata door connection...

380mcn wrote:
my computer at work sometimes doesn't see the 2nd hd. turns out to be a faulty sata door connection...

The laptop always sees the drive if I simply reboot and I never have any issues using the drive when it's available, but it seems something is telling it to go to sleep and then is unable to wake it up. If it is related to LPM then hopefully preventing it from going to sleep will "solve" my problem.
--
Yahooligan

Yahooligan wrote:
My 😧 drive disappears when I'm not looking. I did put in a different second drive, but that was about a week ago. I just went into P4G Hybrid and noticed it's set to have the HDDs sleep after 5 hours. I just disabled it, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

380mcn wrote:

I've seen this is desktops a couple times, and as with 380mcn's computer, it turned out to be a SATA control issue in both cases. Re-installing the drivers resolved it.

Yahooligan
Level 7
Well, I thought the P4G Hybrid change helped, but today I noticed the drive had disappeared again. I did discover that I can go into Disk Management and tell it to rescan, then the drive shows back up again. Maybe I'll configure a small pagefile on the drive and see if that helps keep it active enough.
--
Yahooligan

JRd1st
Level 12
Why don't you send it in to ASUS for a replacement? I'm sure you can just send in the drive.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Why don't you send it in to ASUS for a replacement? I'm sure you can just send in the drive.

2nd drive didn't come with the laptop, heck not even the 1st drive came with it. 🙂 I pulled the super-slow 640GB drive that originally came with it and replaced it with a Momentus XT 500GB I had in another laptop, then added a second 500GB (Non-XT) Seagate I had laying around. The 2nd drive was the primary drive in yet another laptop and it worked fine, and the drive works fine when it's "awake", it just has a problem of going MIA when it's idle I guess. Not to worried about it, just kind of annoying.
--
Yahooligan

I've noticed a very similar thing happening once I installed an OCZ 120GB SSD to replace the drive that shipped in my G74SX as the OS drive. Like you, I've noticed that it only seems to happen if I leave the computer idle for hours at a time, such as when I leave it running overnight.

I've been convinced that this is a setting issue and not an RMA thing, and this thread only reinforces my thoughts.
ASUS G74SX-XT1 (maxed 16GB RAM and added OCZ SSD 120GB boot drive)
BIOS 203
Hannspree ST289MUB 28" LCD