cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen flickers when playing games

Retired
Not applicable
Ok, so i got this computer a week ago. fantastic. btw, i have the g53sx-a1. got it from amazon, and was happy installed black ops and all my other steam games and played them all on high settings. never have i owned a computer that can do that.
now last thursday i was curious to see how this beast of a machine could handle GTA IV. so got it installed, and ran it. now something weird started to happen, suddenly all the objects in the game flicker, like let's say i'm in the car, and there is a mailbox on the road next to me and a building across the street, the mail box would flash black and then goes back, and one of the building does that too, and it's a non stop cycle, it just does it with everything. i was stumped. so i exited out of gta, and went back into black ops. suddenly my black ops is doing the same thing. objects flicker in and out.

now i have been browsing around. i cant really google this problem, because it comes up with searches that are not relevant to mine.

what i have done.
1) made sure all my video card drivers were up to date....still the same
2) Reinstalled windows and upgraded my drivers....still the same
3) upgraded my nvidia driver to the beta 285.69....still the same

please help, i have no idea what to do anymore. i tried calling asus, but they just told me to go where i got it and get a new one, and then amazon is telling me they don't carry this model anymore, because there is a newer one....

A thousand thanks to anyone who helps!!!! :D:D:D
22 REPLIES 22

JRd1st
Level 12
I wonder if GTA installed a corrurpt or misbehaving DirectX file. Didyou go to the gta site and look for a patch or in the forums? Sounds like the game install did something not nice.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
well, like i said, i re-installed the system, and the only game i installed this time around was black ops. should i go and try re-install directx?
and just pointing out, i can watch 1080p videos without a hitch, and it only happens in games.

JRd1st
Level 12
You installed both games, again, right? If so then yes, that way it'll install over whatever that game screwed up.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
nope, just re-installed windows 7 completely, and just installed call of duty black ops.

So i've been trying to download directx 11, and finaly found a web installer for it, and try to run it, but it doesnt give me the option to either repair or reinstall, it just says my system has the latest directx already installed. i'm going to try and upload a video on youtube of my problem. i just don't kno what program to use for recording.

Retired
Not applicable
Here are a couple screen shots i took, for now. i circled the areas

Retired
Not applicable
ok, so an update for the flickering problem. all my drivers updated, installed skyrim, and getting weird shadows on it too. just uploaded a video of me playing black-ops. this is the link to the video.

please help, anyone?

Did you try this driver? http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5517-Latest-NVIDIA-drivers-Official-Beta-and-Modded&p=4...

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
ok, so just installed this new driver. the same appears on both the skyrim and black-ops. i uploaded a video of skyrim now.

here is the link:

now where can i download the latest directx? tried typing in, but gets me to the xbox site, and cant find it. also on my comp it says i have dx11, but i just don't know what to do. should i try to reinstall windows again? i'm just out of ideas..

JRd1st
Level 12
I used to get that when I overclocked. Are you oc'ing?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com