cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three GTX 980's 2nd PCI Express Slot Does Not Work

stealthmachines
Level 7
To summarize, a rampage 5 extreme V3 will not show the second graphics card
in device manager with three-way sli. It works sometimes, but not others on TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS.
In both computers, the 2nd PCI Express slot does not seem to work with three GTX 980's OR GTX Titans installed. The issue is intermittent, but since it's intermittent on two different computers I know something's up.

The problem is also happening to people in this forum: http://www.overclock.net/t/1534276/problems-with-tri-sli-gtx-980s-on-asus-rampage-v-extreme

Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I have the following specs for the two computers:
Build One:
Liquid Cooling and Overclocking H100i, NO OVERCLOCKING
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series 1500W [Info]
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz [Info]
Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME LGA 2011-v3 Extended ATX Motherboard
[Info]
Memory 64GB of F4-2400C15Q-32GRR
Graphics Card EVGA TITAN Black 6GB
Second Graphics Card EVGA TITAN Black 6GB
Third Graphics Card Asus Titan Black 6GB
Sound Card Use motherboard sound card. Click here to find out why. [Info]
Network Card Internal network card. Click here to read our guide. [Info]
Hard Drive 4 x Mushkin Chronos 480GB Solid State Drive in RAID 10
2nd Hard drive WD 1TB
Third Hard Drive Western Digital WD Black 4TB 7200 RPM [Info]
RAID Configurartion RAID 10
Optical Drive LG Blu-ray burner [Info]
Second Optical Drive None [Info]
Operating System NEW! Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit [Info]

AND SYSTEM TWO:

Liquid Cooling and Overclocking Corsair H100i, NO OVERCLOCKING
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series 1200W [Info]
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz [Info]
Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME LGA 2011-v3 Extended ATX Motherboard
[Info]
Memory 32GB of F4-2400C15Q-32GRR
Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 [Info]
Second Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5
[Info]
Third Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5
[Info]
Sound Card Use motherboard sound card. Click here to find out why. [Info]
Network Card Internal network card. Click here to read our guide. [Info]
Hard Drive Mushkin Chronos 480GB Solid State Drive [Info]
Second Hard Drive Western Digital WD Black 4TB 7200 RPM [Info]
Third Hard Drive Recommended No Third Hard Drive [Info]
RAID Configurartion No Raid Please [Info]
Optical Drive Lite-on 24x DVD dual layer burner [Info]

-Josef
StealthMachines
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15
There is a 4-pin molex connector at the bottom edge of the Rampage V Extreme. Have you tried plugging in that cable?

Chino wrote:
There is a 4-pin molex connector at the bottom edge of the Rampage V Extreme. Have you tried plugging in that cable?

Yes of course.

Chino
Level 15
Are both of your system running the latest BIOS? If not, please update it via the EZ Flash Utility in the BIOS using a fresh FAT32 formatted USB pendrive. Let me know if that resolves your problem.

Raja
Level 13
This was reported to HQ already. UEFI 1001 was being prepped and they used that - no issue with three Titans in our testing to date. Try updating to UEFI 1001. If that does not help, use system defaults for a few days (leave the memory at 2133 and or remove half of the modules).

stealthmachines
Level 7
1001 did nothing. Again, this is an intermittent issue, so I would not be surprised if it took 72-hours PLUS of burn-in for Asus lab to detect a problem. I have 4 other people all reporting to me the same issue with no resolution from 1001. Also, it was three 980's that most people had problems with (one of the computers I built), while so far I'm the only one who seems to be having problems with three Titans (the other computer I built)

Memory was never anything but default and doesn't matter how many sticks are installed.

Did they start with a basic bios and then move to 901 and then to 1001? I'm worried a bad bios may have fried the motherboards with tri-sli prior to 1001...
-Josef

Raja
Level 13
They started with 1001 and no issues on their side. The only thing they asked was if your system was overclocked and to try 1001.
If you knew it would take 72 hours, why were you asking me for a response within 24 hours of the report on OCN via PM? I did tell you it may take a few weeks. In testing to date no failure with card detection.

No reports of BIOSes frying the motherboard PCIe slots in any way. The PCIe slot is just an interconnect on the board with a few mechanical switches. The bulk of the electronics are on the CPU and GPU.

I asked HQ to use Titans as you said you had an issue with those too. Either method should show it.

p_delray
Level 7
Did this ever get resolved?

Raja
Level 13
No issues in our extended testing at HQ - so something system setup specific it seems. One of the users complaining about this reseated his GPUs after a CMOS clear and has not had an issue since.