cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G750JM 3rd hard drive in optical bay

grandosegood
Level 7
hello to all,

i recently purchased this computer (asus rog g750jm) and have a few questions about upgrading it
i want to have 3 hard drives inside the computer. my plan is this:

i will replace the optical bay drive and make it this OS with either an affordable ssd or a 7200rpm. I understand that the optical disk drive is on a 1.5 Gbps connection (SATA I), which seems silly as it probably cost them pennies more to make it a SATA II (3 gbps) or sata III (6gbps).

I will then purchase 2 x 2tb 7200rpm drives for the two hard drive bays, as i have read that they are either both SATA III or a SATA II and a SATA III. I will use RAID0 and make it my media drive for editing projects in Avid Media Composer 8 and Premiere Pro CC 2014. This will allow me fast disk access to HD and RAW files stored on the RAID0.

So far, I have achieved good settings for undervolting and turbo core settings so i throttle very little, if at all. my next step is to perfect a gpu overclock on the 860m then spring for the hardware.

can anyone offer any advice if they have performed similar upgrades or advise me if trouble lay ahead for me? thanks again, this is the first good gaming laptop i've owned in years! i hope it will be a fun thing to use and a good workhorse for many moons

-Don
10 REPLIES 10

installer
Level 8
Not Sure that you will get any 2TB HDD's to fit!

The largest I could fit were HGST 1.5TB Travelstars, you need 9.5mm thick maximum.
G750JW-T4041H | i7-4700HQ | 1 x 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 2 x Samsung 2TB HDD | 32GB Crucial Ram.

toronto699
Level 13

grandosegood
Level 7
oh man, thanks guys for the heads up!

@installer, can anyone else confirm that 9.5mm thickness is indeed the limit on hard drives? is it possible you could link to documentation or is it just from experience that you know it will not fit? can you also link me to the drives you purchased? i was aiming for 4tb, but 3tb will work too 😉

also, my research suggests having the operating system in the optical bay will take a penalty on performance, but nothing too crazy. can anyone confirm or comment on operating systems in optical bay?

@toronto699, bear in mind that i have 2 x 2.5 bays on the bottom and NOT the 1 x 2.5 and 2 x m.2 SSD slots.

toronto699
Level 13
http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-g750jm-ds71-i7-2gb-nvidia-gtx-860m-17-3.html?ref=1
every day from 9am to 5pm hidevoluton has web chat available for purchase or questions , I bought my
G751JY-DH72X from them with 3 ssd hds my mistake on your model # sorry

grandosegood
Level 7
also, can anyone recommend what optical bay hard drive caddy to use?

grandosegood wrote:
also, can anyone recommend what optical bay hard drive caddy to use?

i bought mine last July, its a generic one off ebay, about $15, and works fine ( i have a 500GB SSD in there)
title was "Laptop 2nd Hard Drive Bay Caddy 12.7mm SATA to SATA For ACER ASUS DELL TOSHIBA"
from seller "audbrogo"
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

grandosegood
Level 7
but don't we need 9.5mm drives? or is the caddy large enough to accomdate a 12.7mm drive and still install into the laptop correctly?

grandosegood
Level 7
---Quick update---

I ordered a silver-stone optical bay hard drive caddy from newegg and 2 x 1tb hard drives by hgst. 7k1000 to be exact

i installed the SSD on the optical bay drive port, and hwinfo is reporting that it is a 6b/s connection! sweet!

not to mention, both other HDDs are reporting at being at 6gb/s too!

so it seems they did put sata iii ports in here?

anyway, any offset i chose for undervolting would give be BSOD. so for intel xtu, i just switched core and cache multipliers to x35, changed nothing else, then used it and all seems well so far.

while the gtc 860m isn't the top of the line, it is going a good enough job without huge heat increase.

gazzacbr
Level 10
Hi, just for reference, was the drive 12.7 or 9.5?
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16