cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just returned my GTX 970 Strix, what now?

lumpkin
Level 7
Call me old fashioned, but I really like to be told the truth when buying a product. Since Nvidia proved that their honesty is suspect, I returned my 4 month old card to Newegg today for a full refund. They were surprisingly awesome about it.

I have not looked into AMD for quite a while and wrote them off due to horrible driver support. Has this changed in the recent years? What Asus AMD card would you recommend for $300-400?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

sWaZi_sKunk
Level 7
I would suggest waiting a month or so when the new AMD gpu's are hinted to be released. Depending on what your gaming settings are, a 960 sli setup might be worth a look.
ROG2015 Back in Red&Black
NZXT.H440 ~ M7F ~ i7-4790k ~ Poseidon GTX980 ~ G-Skill 2400 16gb ~ 850Pro 256gb ~ ThermalTake 1050w DPS ~ VG248QE

libremaster
Level 7
Wait for a Ti version? Just make sure this time specs are true...

Avoid
Level 9
I have a 970, which I have decided, has to go back. Due to Nvidias "optimal" settings for Counter Strike:GO, which are for me, 2715x1527 ... odd I know but people are saying the fault comes at 1440P well even tho it squishes all this data into my 1080P screen it causes issues. And yes I can change it to 1080P. For now I have but its unacceptable.

So, go with a 960 ? 2gb vram? ugh no thx, or sli them, pay more for 4gb of vram than a normal 970 ... again no thx. Pay £100 - 200 more for a 980...

The 970 seemed the right price for the right kit. And the only other path would be the power hungry heat producing r9 290x for £30 extra one of them with 8gb of vram. I feel like nVidia have really done a number on me here, cause all my other options seem crap.

Avoid wrote:

So, go with a 960 ? 2gb vram? ugh no thx, or sli them, pay more for 4gb of vram than a normal 970 ... again no thx. Pay £100 - 200 more for a 980...

Putting 2 cards in SLI does NOT double the amount of available VRAM.

Claviger
Level 9
960s... lol barf.

Just buy a 980 and be done with it.

Mark3
Level 8
In one of my computer builds, I have a 970 in it, and the card runs most games flawlessly. I am not sure if everyone here has seen the benchmarks for this card or not, but it is quite exceptional for the price. From my own gaming experience, I can attest to this as well.
Hi, I have now retired from ASUS support, please refer problems to current @ASUS/cl- usernames.