cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build, Need advice!

LHA7X
Level 7
Hey guys,
So basically, I'm going to be building a new gaming rig in the next few weeks, but i held off ordering the parts so i could get some advice from everyone. So, here are the proposed specs

MB: Crosshair V Formula Z AM3+
CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core (OVERCLOCKING TO 5.2)
GPU'S: MSI Radeon R9 290X 8GB Video Card x3 (3-Way CrossFire)
RAM: G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB 1866MHz DDR3
Storage: Samsung EVO 500GB SSSD + Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Raid 0)
Case: Corsair obsidian 900D
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1600W
Custom water-cooling loop using EK. This includes all three GPU Blocks, CPU block, 1 quad and 1 triple rad. and all the other Parts
This build also includes a network card, blu-ray player (im a movie addict) and a fan controller for the waterloop.

All feedback is appreciated!
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello LHA7X and welcome

That looks to be a solid high powered gaming build but...

if you're going to drop cash on a new build such as yours, consider going Intel and NVidia.

9590 vs 4790k - Even though the 4790k is only a quad core cpu and is clocked lower, it still beats the 9590 performance wise and uses much less power. The 4790k has hyperthreading which turns 4 cores into 8 logical cores. You can get the 4790k for a great price here.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434176/Core_i7-4790K_40GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

For using three gpu's the only choice is the maximus vi extreme and newegg has a nice rebate on it right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131974&cm_re=vi_extreme-_-13-131-974-_-Prod...

Now for the gpu's. I was trying to find the gtx 980 Poseidon in stock but newegg and amazon are out of stock, so I tried to find the evga gtx 980 hydro copper which it is out of stock too ! Since you know what your doing installing the gpu waterblocks you could get the gtx 980 and slap the water blocks on them. These will cost a little more than the 290x's but will be well worth it.

16GB of G.Skill Trident X at 2400Mhz will be plenty for gaming for a good while yet.

You won't need a 1600w psu for three gpu's. Seasonic platinum psu's are high quality and this one would run four gtx 980's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151140&cm_re=seasonic-_-17-151-140-_-Produc...

You will have a much better gaming machine if you went with this.

Just my suggestion - 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
That looks to be a solid high powered gaming build but...
if you're going to drop cash on a new build such as yours, consider going Intel and NVidia.

I built a similar machine as your specs and I can assure you that Nate is giving you good advice. But if you go through with your specs remember that it's gonna be a "space heater".

Heini wrote:
I built a similar machine as your specs and I can assure you that Nate is giving you good advice. But if you go through with your specs remember that it's gonna be a "space heater".

How bad is the heat from a build such as the one planned, i knew it would be enough to keep me warm, but i don't want it to be unbearably hot in my gaming den

~LHA7X

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll take what you said into account and try to re-plan things if i see fit 🙂

Nate152 wrote:

9590 vs 4790k - Even though the 4790k is only a quad core cpu and is clocked lower, it still beats the 9590 performance wise and uses much less power. The 4790k has hyperthreading which turns 4 cores into 8 logical cores. You can get the 4790k for a great price here.

Thanks for the feedback, I'd like to stay with the AMD side for the CPU, purely because the new gen of AMD Processors in the future will have 8 core 16 threads and will only give out and consume half the power and heat of the current gen. These new processors will also be supported by AM3+ as they will be backwards compatible to this socket type. Regarding the cards i'll take a look into re planning , but i'll be sticking with three cards of some sort as i sometimes switch from three monitors to a 4k display.

Once again thanks for the advice
~LHA7X

Nate152
you're welcome

I always say, be sure you get what you want before you pull the trigger. 🙂