Eikonic
Level 7
i7 5960x
rampage v (0901 bios)
plextor 256gb m.2
ocz vertex 3 120gb
g skill ddr 2800 32gb
windows 7 ultimate x64

so this is my first build in 3 years. after running an amd/msi system rock solid stable for 3 years, i decided to go back to intel and asus. build went smooth, booted fine, installed windows fine. started installing the misc software and started to notice windows was taking a long time to boot. sometimes 20 seconds (acceptable but not great), and then somtimes over a minute (not at all acceptable). the win7 squares just sat there pulsing, no drive activity. once finally at the login screen, i entered my password, windows takes another 25 seconds (yes, every time that iv been counting its 25 seconds, it always seems constant) to load and bring me to the desktop. my old system would go to the desktop almost immediately, even if it then took a min or 2 to load everything up. there was no hanging around the login screen.

i started reading around here about the UEFI windows install. i did NOT install this way. i used diskpart to check, and i dont have a gpt install of windows. trying the F8 boot menu, i dont get a UEFI option for my dvd drive. infact i dont get ANY uefi boot options. i tried changing the boot settings in bios to the uefi modes, that didnt seem to help. im about to try creating a UEFI bootable usb stick and install windows from that as Chino mentioned in his thread about getting m.2 to work.

i have m.2 set in the bios, that hasnt helped. i have fast boot enabled. i have left bios settings basically untouched aside from small things like boot order, disabling bluetooth, etc. i tried activating xmp as my ram is currently sitting at 2133, not 2800, and it wouldnt boot at all. used the safeboot button, restored bios to defaults, and then booting was back to (slow) normal.

im also finding copying files is slow. i just copied 1.5gb to a usb drive connected to a usb 3 port (i dont think the stick was a usb 3 stick), and it took about 5 min. i put it in my laptop usb2 port, and copied over approx the same amount of data, and it took maybe 30 seconds. i was then copying about 35gb between 2 OCZ Vrtx3 drives. that took probably over 5 min... longer than it should have. i ran AS SSD on my plextor and OCZ. plextor scored approx 1100, OCZ around 450... so i think those are in the ballpark. i never had an issue with the OCZs in my previous system. this is my first time using an M.2, so i dont know what to expect. what i DID expect was super fast booting.

once in windows, aside from the stupid realtech drive that has always "stopped working" that everyone complains about, things seem mostly fine. iv only been using the system 1 day, and only to install apps and get windows in order. but overall i have this sense that there is something slightly lagging the system.

i have 4 days left where i can return this board to the store if its bad. after that i need to start RMAing directly to asus which will take much longer, so im hoping i can solve this issue asap. i appreciate any insight anyone might have on this.

thanks
15 REPLIES 15

jonstatt
Level 7
In terms of the 20 seconds boot time.....you will not get the uber fast boot time even with UEFI on Windows 7. That is a feature of Windows 8 only. Also, don't expect it to be quite as quick as the fastest laptops and ultrabooks which are optimised for a very specific hardware set.

In terms of the super long boot times....getting stuck at the flashing squares is commonly symptomatic of USB device polling. Have you tried disconnecting all your USB devices except basic keyboard and mouse to see if that has any effect? If so as a temporary measure try disabling xHCI in the BIOS.

Eikonic
Level 7
i have unplugged all usb and connected hdds. the only thing connected is the little wireless dongle for the keyboard/mouse.

i will try disabling xHCI in the bios. thanks for that suggestion.

ill hold off on reinstalling windows then, reboot with that change, and see if it makes a difference. i did read on here about the possible USB issue, so i unplugged things last night, but still the "long boots". will report back shortly. thanks again.

EDIT: so that didnt seem to help. i set all the xHCI related usb bios options to disabled. boot took 85 seconds from when seeing the 'starting windows'. reboot again, took about 60 seconds. what can i try next?

jonstatt
Level 7
In device manager in the control panel, do you see all devices are properly installed or there are some with yellow question marks? I assume you installed the baseline Intel chipset drivers and Asus specific drivers as per the DVD or Asus site?

thanks for the reply Chino. i realized the win7 disk was very old and did not have a bootx64.exe file on it, and that was probably why i was not getting the UEFI option.

oy, i will reinstall. installing windows is easy, its the fact i spent all of yesterday installing all my other stuff 😞 day wasted. oh well. its for the greater good. ill report back when windows is reinstalled.

should be i be doing a CMOS clear at the same time? or just update bios?

before i go reinstalling... is there anything there in that list that would cause any of these issues? or are they just curiosities?

Eikonic wrote:
before i go reinstalling... is there anything there in that list that would cause any of these issues? or are they just curiosities?

Well none of them would affect the time from BIOS screen to Windows login screen....but they may affect the login->desktop time. But I don't know for sure. It's just if you get unexplained delays from login->desktop, then typically I go looking at the event viewer and the device manager.

Chino is much more experienced than me....so don't waste too much time on this....and go for his reinstall suggestion.....

Chino
Level 15
Hello,

Let's take this one step at a time. First update your BIOS to the latest 1001 version for me. Download the BIOS file and put it on a fresh FAT32 formatted USB pendrive. Then use the EZ Flash Utility found in the BIOS to update.

Since your system is still fresh, I say you do a reformat once and for all. If you don't like Windows 8/8.1, you can stick with Windows 7 but like jonstatt mentioned above you won't get the same quick boot times. Make sure you instead Windows 7 in UEFI mode because of the faster boot up times and better integration with hardware.

Once you're finished, report back. Do not install any Windows updates or any other programs yet.

Eikonic
Level 7
everything is unplugged now so id need to reattach everything and reboot. checking the device manager now, all my "other devices" have the triangle. they are...
-bcm20702a0
-network controller
-pci simple communication controller
-usb controller
-unknown device

all other enteries in all other categories have no triangle. perhaps this is cause of the xHCI settings i changed?

i fiddled around with various bios settings. i got a 14 seconds windows starting screen just now. best yet but since it seems to be random, it could just be a fluke. windows login screen still at 25 seconds to get to desktop.

here is what i have installed off the asus site (only used the cd for LAN drivers)
-bios 0901 (via rog connect usb flashback button)
-intel chipset
-tried to install MEI (listed below intel chipset on the asus page, but i have no idea if it worked. its not listed in "programs" list)
-realtek audio (currently uninstalled to see if that was causing long desktop load, seems its not the cause)
-intel LAN driver
-usb 3.0 controller (did NOT install the AS Media control driver, located below usb3 on asus page)

did NOT install any of the "utilities", like ai suite 3. did NOT install any of the SATA options, as i thought they were both for RAID and im not doing raid. did NOT install bluetooth or wifi.

Eikonic wrote:
everything is unplugged now so id need to reattach everything and reboot. checking the device manager now, all my "other devices" have the triangle. they are...
-bcm20702a0
-network controller
-pci simple communication controller
-usb controller
-unknown device

all other enteries in all other categories have no triangle. perhaps this is cause of the xHCI settings i changed?

i fiddled around with various bios settings. i got a 14 seconds windows starting screen just now. best yet but since it seems to be random, it could just be a fluke. windows login screen still at 25 seconds to get to desktop.

here is what i have installed off the asus site (only used the cd for LAN drivers)
-bios 0901 (via rog connect usb flashback button)
-intel chipset
-tried to install MEI (listed below intel chipset on the asus page, but i have no idea if it worked. its not listed in "programs" list)
-realtek audio (currently uninstalled to see if that was causing long desktop load, seems its not the cause)
-intel LAN driver
-usb 3.0 controller (did NOT install the AS Media control driver, located below usb3 on asus page)

did NOT install any of the "utilities", like ai suite 3. did NOT install any of the SATA options, as i thought they were both for RAID and im not doing raid. did NOT install bluetooth or wifi.

You should clear the device issues really but they are more likely to affect the "after login time" than the before it....Bit odd you have network controller listed if you installed the LAN driver. The BCM one is the blutooth driver. You absolutely do need the ASMedia USB driver because a whole line of USB sockets on the back panel will be impaired if you don't. The odd one is PCI simple communications controller....because that implies you have not installed IME (management engine)