cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot up times?

Panda
Level 7
What are your boot up times without a SSD?
My boot feels like it's steadily getting longer and longer, it used to be 45 seconds and now it feels like its 60 and longer!
20 REPLIES 20

FreedomMRTN
Level 7
Mine are still rather fast but the computer is only 2 months old. Try cleaning up the registry.
ASUS G73Sw Stock 17" laptop.

dstrakele
Level 14
Launch MSCONFIG.EXE and select the Startup tab. UNcheck those apps you don't need running at startup. You can still launch them later if you want. That should help get things going...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Lorca
Level 7
Panda wrote:
What are your boot up times without a SSD?
My boot feels like it's steadily getting longer and longer, it used to be 45 seconds and now it feels like its 60 and longer!

Out of the box, my G74SX booted up and was ready to go in 20 seconds. Now, after 2 months and many installed software and everything optimized(disable startup programs and registry stuff, etc.) my lappy boots between 30-45 seconds. So it doubled the time. But hey, I cant complain because my previous Gateway gaming laptop boots in 3 minutes!!!( I must admit I had a TON of stuff in that laptop)

JRd1st
Level 12
Mine starts up fast now because I installed an SSD, but now the shutdown time seems too long. Ya can't win . . . . .
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Mine starts up fast now because I installed an SSD, but now the shutdown time seems too long. Ya can't win . . . . .

Sort of like the sausage syndrome: Press hard in one end and it bloats on the other end.

MPerni
Level 7
If you have also lots of desktop shortcuts does it makes the boot time longer???
On my desktop computer (An Intel core2duo, e8400, 4gb ram and nvidia 9800gtx+, WD 500gb HD 7200rpm) y got just 3 icons at desktop, black screen and windows classic theme (not the transparent aeros) and the boot in 40-45 secs!! I think you have to clean it up a little bit!

JRd1st
Level 12
You could create a folder on your desktop and move your lesser used shortcuts into it. But I don't think shortcuts make a lot of difference to bootime. Gadgets do make a.diff, though. So I have none. 😄
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Lightning fast with ssd, 15 seconds from press of a power button to desktop thru logging in. :cool: When the windows actually starts to boot up it's about 10 seconds or even less.
Lovelovelovelove.
*** G74SX-TZ226V (European model) | Kingston HyperX SSD 120gb Sata-III
"STOCK" BIOS 202 (If it's not broken, why fix it.) *** <- Sold 😞

With the SSD, mine is an amazing 11.4 seconds:

With the HDD though, it varied between 40 and 50 secs.
Asus G74SX-DH73-3D, Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bit - 14gb of RAM,
Clean install on 128gb Crucial M4 SSD + 750gb WD 7200 rpm HDD for storage,
Blu-ray™ ROM/DVD±RW combo drive, 3 GB (dedicated) NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 560M graphics, driver v. 285.62, 3D Capable.
BIOS ver 203