cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73Sw Power 4 Gear problems

FreedomMRTN
Level 7
In August i bought my G73Sw and earlier today the power4gear button along with the "Splendid Key" have stopped working, so i uninstalled Power4Gear and then rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted and that didn't work, so i uninstalled Power4Gear and ATK and then rebooted and reinstalled both after rebooting after each, but now the Power4Gear options dont even appear as they did before.

Any clues?
ASUS G73Sw Stock 17" laptop.
26 REPLIES 26

dstrakele
Level 14
FreedomMRTN wrote:
... so i uninstalled Power4Gear and ATK and then rebooted and reinstalled both after rebooting after each, but now the Power4Gear options dont even appear as they did before.

Any clues?

Yes, I'd like some more clues, please. Are you saying the P4G modes are not displayed when you press the ROG key? Can you successfully launch P4G?

Did you try a restore to an earlier time to see if you could recover normal P4G functionality?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

i can open up P4G and it has many of the settings but the widget doesnt respond and in the battery power options in control panel they dont show up.

dstrakele
Level 14
Did the restore to an earlier time work?

If not, I would uninstall P4G and your current ATK Package. Then reboot and install ATK Package 1.00.0014. Reboot and test some of the other function keys aside from the ROG key. Then install P4G and see what you get...

From another post (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5698-Issues-reinstalling-Power4Gear-Hybrid-in-G74), I get the impression that P4G needs a working ATK Package to install properly.
Also, I'd wait 10 minutes before installing P4G to give Windows time to load everything. If you watch the disk activity LED, you can see Windows is still loading components for some time if you logon as soon as possible.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

FreedomMRTN
Level 7
restoring it didn't work, i'm going to try again in the morning.

FreedomMRTN wrote:
restoring it didn't work, i'm going to try again in the morning.

Just out of curiosity, what P4G functions do you want/need? You're not the first person who has experienced problems with that program, so unless it has some feature genuinely useful to you, maybe you're better off without it.

FreedomMRTN
Level 7
For me, the biggest thing is just being able to use the ROG button because its just far more convienent because i can't always find plugs. i might just leav eit for now though and toy with it on the weekend.

FreedomMRTN wrote:
For me, the biggest thing is just being able to use the ROG button because its just far more convienent because i can't always find plugs. i might just leav eit for now though and toy with it on the weekend.

Or perhaps consider using your computer without it for a week or so, to see if you even miss it. 😉 The Windows Power Management utility allows detailed power profile configuration, if you need it, and you can always access your two most used profiles instantly from the taskbar power icon.

Much like the overkill of Wireless Console 3, I think P4G adds a redundant and unnecessary "control" layer that most users just don't need. They consume resources and sometimes act up and cause problems, so why bother with them?

380mcn
Level 9
if you're were my case i would forget it.. just a simple button.. 😛
in the power options do you still have the option Active Cooling / Passive Cooling? IMHO, that the most important thing..

JRd1st
Level 12
Well, those options are under "Asus P4G Power Settings", so I don't think so.

EDIT, wait a minute, no it's not under that category, it's under Processor Power Management.

DPST and some other things are under the P4G heading . . .
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com