cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting up Samsung Pro 840 512gb x2 SSD in Raid 0 *Raja@asus ideaS?*

dpoverlord
Level 8
Hey guys,

Finally came to the X99 Extreme and setting everything up this weekend, I was told that there is an issue with the Sammy's and boot loader firmnware that requires some fix in the Asus bios. Was tld to ask here / Raja@asus on the asus x99 support thread. See theres lot's of good info here.

My new setup is:
So this is what I bought so far since I couldnt wait any longer and my roommate needed to pay me back:

PSU: EVGA G2-1300
Mobo: Rampage Extreme X99
CPU: Intel 5930k
GPU: 1-3way EVGA Titan SLI (gonna try to sell old ones to get the new Titan)
Cooler: Purchased the Kraken but curious to see if my thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme will work. Also curious where I would put the fan for the Kraken (See case) I have a lot of 120mm fans
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 32GB(4x8gb) BLS4K8G4D240FSA 16-16-16-39 @1.2v 2400mhz seems timings are bad no?
Hard Drive Main: 1 Samsung Pro 850 1TB or 2 Samsung Pro 840 512gb (Thoughts? If I use 2 840 pro 512 should I raid 0? Love your input)
Hard DriveB: x3 WD Red 4TB NAS drive
Hard DriveC Seagate Barracude 3TB ST3000DM001

Monitor Before: 4 way Dell U3014 30" Now: 2 30" but may return one and keep one and switch out to a Large format.... Thoughts? I really would like something better than the U3014 maybe the new OLED 65"
SOUND: Creative Omni + AKG 65 annies is this USB AIO solution better than the onboard???
Backup PowerAPC Backup-UPC 1500g

Q] CPU Cooling... if my xeon / 930 could o/c like mad (4.67ghz / 4.4ghz) should I really use this Kraken. If so look at my case below confused on where I would put it...

Case Photo links:
http://imgur.com/a/j4rt4

Peripherals: Razer Deathadder / Logitech Z523 / Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 / Logitech C920 webcam

Q2] Since '99 I have resorted to ergo keyboards due to my wrist anyone use anything better than the 4000 above? Curious with gaming / etc with any other keyboard my wrists kill me
So thats the system, I am really keen on returning either this ram if I can find a better deal for ram thats not $429. Microcenter had Corsair but that ram was 4 dimms @ 4GB which makes no sense... Who wants 8 dimms to make 32GB!? Their dominator was $499 for 16gb. I am open to G skill too as they always did me rig

Question3 When I had my x58ud5a-rev 2 I saw that tweaktown and other sites had custom bios / reccomendatons on drivers. With ASus should I only use the drivers on the website? I know with Gigabyte they do not update their Windows/Driver pages often so was curous if for example the below would be the driver I would use or if I should google for updates like I used to do.

Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.20 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
File Size 3.15 MBytes update 2014/10/28
3 REPLIES 3

Chino
Level 15
Not sure where you got that information from. I've seen quite a few users around here running a RAID 0 of Samsung 840 Pro. 😛

GoNz0-
Level 10
if you bought a PC ready to go with that spec you should be contacting the seller for help and not expecting them to get you posting for help?

It looks like this is related to other posts that cropped up from a company selling pre built top end systems at a premium price without fully testing them.

I hope I am wrong or I would be returning it and buying the parts myself.

Chino wrote:
Not sure where you got that information from. I've seen quite a few users around here running a RAID 0 of Samsung 840 Pro. 😛

Perfect just wanted to clarify, putting the sytem together now and just making a win USB disk so I can install all the ROG drivers / latest bios

GoNz0- wrote:
if you bought a PC ready to go with that spec you should be contacting the seller for help and not expecting them to get you posting for help?
It looks like this is related to other posts that cropped up from a company selling pre built top end systems at a premium price without fully testing them.I hope I am wrong or I would be returning it and buying the parts myself.

Not sure where you got that, I bought all the parts myself and just had questons:

1. How to put 2 old drives in raid 0 and the other two on a seperate raid 0 so I can transfer the info.

Question3 When I had my x58ud5a-rev 2 I saw that tweaktown and other sites had custom bios / reccomendatons on drivers. With ASus should I only use the drivers on the website? I know with Gigabyte they do not update their Windows/Driver pages often so was curous if for example the below would be the driver I would use or if I should google for updates like I used to do.

Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.20 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
File Size 3.15 MBytes update 2014/10/28