cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dusting/Cleaning Asus G751

kraver0
Level 7
Is it possible to clean out the dust that accumulates within the notebook?

The place I live in gets relatively dusty (dormitory), and I can't do much about it.
Otherwise, I'm thinking of returning the notebook regardless of how great it is if it's just going to accumulate more dust over time, and being unable to do anything about it.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

NitroX
Level 10
You have 2 options:

1) Call for the warranty service in order to get it cleaned. I think this would be the best solution since they will do a professional cleaning + a repaste for free.
2) You can disassemble the laptop yourself and clean the vents. There are a few people that have already done that and you could ask for some advice. Though, you will lose your warranty if something breaks during the process. I've heard that simply opening the case won't void your warranty because there is no seal. This meaning that, if you are careful they won't even know it was opened.

Choose your destiny my friend ! Though, I wouldn't worry about the dust building up inside the case, because it has some dust filters at the air intakes. And you could also use a compressed air spray on the holes on the bottom from time to time. Just to remove the dust in excess if it actually builds up.
I don't really think that this is a deal breaker.

NitroX wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the dust building up inside the case, because it has some dust filters at the air intakes. And you could also use a compressed air spray on the holes on the bottom from time to time. Just to remove the dust in excess if it actually builds up.

Compressed air spray is a nice idea, i didn't think about it, thanks 🙂

NitroX wrote:
You have 2 options:

1) Call for the warranty service in order to get it cleaned. I think this would be the best solution since they will do a professional cleaning + a repaste for free.
2) You can disassemble the laptop yourself and clean the vents. There are a few people that have already done that and you could ask for some advice. Though, you will lose your warranty if something breaks during the process. I've heard that simply opening the case won't void your warranty because there is no seal. This meaning that, if you are careful they won't even know it was opened.

Choose your destiny my friend ! Though, I wouldn't worry about the dust building up inside the case, because it has some dust filters at the air intakes. And you could also use a compressed air spray on the holes on the bottom from time to time. Just to remove the dust in excess if it actually builds up.

Thank you for your reply.

I had thought about calling in Asus Warranty to get it cleaned, but I'm afraid of their customer support services. I have heard dreadful stories about returning merchandise to them from being delayed or damaged to being lost.

But I didn't know there were dust filters at the air intakes (through the keyboard, I believe?). So, I guess I'll hold onto it, and just read more about disassembling the notebook myself. But also because I'm not too sure about returning it anymore, considering there is 25% restocking fee for returns from Newegg. Jesus.

NitroX
Level 10
Wow, I knew that the first 30 days are free of any charge. What the hell is wrong with them. Aren't they breaking any rule or customer right by asking for a fee?

Btw, you can clearly see the dust filters if you look into the bottom holes of the laptop with a light or smth. Every G series laptop has had some dust filters. The G75VW had 2 filters right where the fans were, one on top and one on the bottom of the fan. I was usually cleaning them once at 6 months and there wasn't any real mess around there. I think if you will clean it once a year, or twice in the worst case, it would be fine. I don't know about the warranty support in your country but over here in Romania, I can go and leave the laptop right at their service and then I can get it personally from there when the job is done. I will go for a clean and repaste in a month or two, just to have the time to leave the laptop 2-3 days over there until they're done.

nettto
Level 7
I have a RoG GL551J and a dusty house. I just got a 'clear' silicone laptop keyboard skin cover protector from amazon and am really liking it so far. 'Clear isn't perfectly clear- like cloudy clear, but allows you to see the backlit keyboard. The look might not be for everyone but functionality wise, it seems darn near perfect. You may want to see if they have one for your model.

Used By in the field the Armed Services and GSA, only one that meets Gov Specs,
Made of PET and PolyUrethane, Not Silicone,(I hate those) AND Perfectly Clear,
https://www.protectcovers.com/laptop-covers.html

OOPS, Didn't quite get the Link in before I hit enter;
https://www.protectcovers.com/laptop-covers.html

clockworksatan
Level 7
Bearing in mind that the G751 uses the ports on the side and the keyboard as air intakes (and not the bottom vents like most laptops) I would exercise caution on covering the entire top of the laptop with one of those clear covers as it could cause overheating.
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD