cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Overclocking

Masonjar13
Level 7
I'm not very knowledgeable of overclocking and was wondering why certain things were happening when I've tried. First off, my hardware:

Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S

Mobo: Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: i7-4820k @ 3.7GHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast (8GB x 2)
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S

Should be enough info to get started. So as a standard, I have XMP on, where my CPU is set to 3.9 using Turbo and RAM is at 2.4GHz. When I've tried the 'Air-Cooled Gamers Preset' overclock, it sets it to 4.7 using Turbo and sets the RAM back to 1333MHz. Upon actually using it, it breaks everything, including Aero (I would have thought that would have been a GPU setting?) and some times the USB ports on boot-up.

I've also tried setting it to XMP and setting the ratio (all sync'd) to 40, but that had significant errors as well. My standard has the core speeds set to auto. I do remember having set them manually in the past without problems, so I'm not sure.

Simply enough, I want to exceed at least 4.0. Preferably, I'd like the blck increased as well. Instead of testing and possibly causing permanent damage, what would my best course of action be here?
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hello Masonjar13

Nice name 🙂

When overclocking it's best to do it manually like you said you did in the past, don't use the presets.

Download ROG realbench and realtemp 3.70. Temperature controls how far you can overclock.

Run only the stress test in realbench and don't let the temps go over 90c. All you need to change is the core ratio and the vcore.

Once you make your changes, stress test with realbench and monitor temps with real remp.

Masonjar13
Level 7
Thank you 😉

Sounds good, I'll give that a shot. Should I use XMP or manual? XMP only seems to change RAM speed and the RAM voltage to 1.65v, which I can both do manually.

Nate152
XMP sets your ram to its rated specs just by enabling it. You can set your ram manually too, either way is ok.