cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Won't shut down after playing games.

starvingdan
Level 7
Hi,

Hoping someone out there has had a similar issue to me, I've tried Asus support but they weren't any help at all.
If I use my PC for watching movies, coding, listening to movies it turns on a shuts down totally fine.
As soon as I play any game, I only have Origin, it won't shut down.
If I even load up Dragon Age inquisition or Sims 4 and close it right away I still see this issue.
The PC goes to shut down with the splash screen and the spinner saying "Shutting Down" but after 10 minutes or so on that screen the system restarts. Once it's restarted, so long as I don't start up a game it will shutdown normally.

Spec:
Case: PCS TRAIL-BREAKER 7206B BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU): Intel® CoreTMi7 Six Core Processor i7-5820K (3.3GHz) 15MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® RAMPAGE V EXTREME: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6
Memory (RAM): 8GB CRUCIAL DDR4 2133MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk: 120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL: 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0
Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W CS SERIESTM MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA
Processor Cooling: Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card: ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking: 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Keyboard & Mouse: CM Storm Devastator Keyboard and Mouse
Windows 8.1 OS

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello starvingdan and welcome

Try a stress test with realbench at stock settings to see if your system is stable.

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

Hi Nate152,
Thank you for posting 🙂

I ran the stress test and it all went ok also my PC shutdown afterwards too :).
The console said "Result Hash Match!" twice.

Dan

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Sounds like a software issue. Perhaps Origin is causing the problem.

Yeah i am still thinking that my self but haven't been able to put my finger on it.
I've tried everything except restoring windows which is my last resort really.

I've tried ensure origin is closed and all services stopped before shutting down with no joy 😞

Thanks for posting!

Rehok
Level 7
Out of curiosity do you use the Razer Stats (Heatmap and click tracking software)? as whenever i have that enabled it stops my machine from shutting down

Rehok wrote:
Out of curiosity do you use the Razer Stats (Heatmap and click tracking software)? as whenever i have that enabled it stops my machine from shutting down

Hi Rehok,
Thanks for taking a look at the thread.
No I'm not using Heatmap or any click tracking software.

Cheers,

Dan

Mark3
Level 8
Uninstall Origin and try a game in Steam and check to see if the problem persists. Try installing a demo for testing purposes. If the issue stops, we know it is somehow related to Origin.

My original thought was PSU. If possible, try another PSU.
The problem you are having is quite odd by the way. More than likely something out of the ordinary is causing this problem. I will check back to see your response later today.
Hi, I have now retired from ASUS support, please refer problems to current @ASUS/cl- usernames.

cl-mark@asus wrote:
Uninstall Origin and try a game in Steam and check to see if the problem persists. Try installing a demo for testing purposes. If the issue stops, we know it is somehow related to Origin.

My original thought was PSU. If possible, try another PSU.
The problem you are having is quite odd by the way. More than likely something out of the ordinary is causing this problem. I will check back to see your response later today.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
I uninstalled Origin and played Shadows of Mordor on steam for a couple of minutes.
Just starting Dragon Age Inquisition was normally enough to stop it shutting down.

The PC shut down perfect after I left the game.

I was thinking PSU also but don't have a spare knocking around, now it more than ever it seems Origin in the culprit.
I'll try re-installing Origin and playing Shadows of Mordor again 1st then Dragon Age.
I sure hope it was just a dodgy install of Origin.

Thanks again,

Dan

Mark3
Level 8
Origin is typically problem free, so I am not entirely convinced it is the root of the problem. Maybe Origin is conflicting with another program or driver. I am not sure. I do agree about uninstalling Origin first and then reinstalling though. You never know, right? Please keep us in the loop, and I will try my best to keep looking at this thread. Hopefully soon we can figure out a solution for you.
Hi, I have now retired from ASUS support, please refer problems to current @ASUS/cl- usernames.