cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad XTU benchmark results and other problems. Please help! G751JY owner

sunny474
Level 7
My machine: G750JY, 980m, i7 4710hq , 8GB ram, 256GB Pci-e SSD, 1TB hdd
I have several things which annoys me with this laptop. First of all,i got really weird benchmark scores with intel xtu,about 460-470. Other owners reported that they always have a score above 700. I tried with the default oc profile, with disabled turbo boost and i also tried setting every clock to max (36,35,34,34). I got the same results with all of them. The funny thing which i have realised is that the clocks reduces to 3,1 ghz and the cpu utilization changes from 97 to 50% under the benchmarking process(nope,i dont have overheating problems). It should run at 3,3 ghz and near 100% utilization right?
So i made 2 other test with 3dmark firestrike and cinebench r15. Surprisingly i got good results with them.
3dmark: 8581 score, graphic score: 10178,physics score:9250.
cinebench r15: around 660 cb
Both tests were run on the default clocks. Other users got nearly the same results with them.
So why i got so low scores with xtu?

And also i have other problems releated to hdd,wifi and booting.
Sometimes when i turn off the machine and turn it back the screen goes black and i need to turn it off again with the power button to get the screen working. It also happens sometimes when i just restart the pc. Also i'm having this "black screen problem" only if i install windows in uefi mode. I didnt encounter this problem with csm enabled bios install. Why does it do in uefi install? I dont want to use the old bios method cause the booting procedure is much faster in uefi.
I also got random clicking sounds from the hdd. I installed league of legends both on my ssd and hdd. The screen sometimes freezes for a second when i play on the hdd meanwhile it doesnt do it on the ssd.
The wifi card also got some problems. My pings are usually fine (around 30ms) but sometimes it goes up to 300ms for 1-2 seconds. I also tried the same online game ( LoL) with other the machines on the same network and they didnt got these lagg spikes. So its definitely releated to its wifi adapter.
If someone have any solution for these problems please help me! Sorry for my bad english.
4 REPLIES 4

NitroX
Level 10
Dude, there are solutions for these problems all around this section. You could have used the search button before making another post... It gets frustrating to see new posts with same problems over and over. Ok, now, for your problems these are the solutions:

1) Intel XTU doesn't have an accurate benchmark. So it doesn't matter what score you get in Intel XTU as long as scores in 3DMark and Cinebench are good and you don't have issues in games. Other users have reported the same low score as you. To be honest, I never did an Intel XTU benchmark. I've just used it for Undervolting, setting the clock multipliers and testing the stability.

2) For the black screen problem unfortunately I don't know the solution. I'm also having this problem from time to time and I also had it on my old G75VW. I don't know what could be the cause but the display doesn't have any problems. What is happening is that the system tries to shut down its components but the hardware won't stop. I've made some tests these few days and it's better to close all browsers (Chrome, Firefox etc. ) and torrents if they are running, just before you press the power button or close the lid. This way, your system will be able to shut it's components down.

I would also like to know what causes this issue but I can't say for sure right now. If anybody has any idea, please bring the knowledge to us :).

3) For the clicking sound and freeze it's simple. Follow this thread and download quietHDD from there. Read the instructions on how to set quietHDD (it's simple) and then voila: No more clickings and no freezez! https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56757-G751JY-Strange-clicking-sound&highlight=clicking . The clicking and freezez are cause by the head parking of the HDD. See more details in the thread.

4) As for the WIFI problem, just read on here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57190-G751-WLAN-Heavy-Lags-Rubberbanding&highlight=wifi . First try to uninstall ASUS GameFirst and ASUS Gaming Center, restart the laptop and see if you've got the lagging. Be sure you have the latest drivers installed for your Intel AC7260 from here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/HelpDesk/ .

Have a nice and free of problems Sunday 🙂 !

Thank you for your reply. I know that most of it can be fixed by some "modding". My problem is that other users with the same specs dont encounter these problems. Same spec, win 8.1, same drivers,latest bios(205). They got much better score with that xtu benchmark. As you said i dont really notice any problems with the processor. Gaming benchmarks are fine,it's not throttling etc. It's just really frustrating how i can get much worse benchmark with the same spec. They dont get the clicking sound from their hdd without any software installed. I did nearly the same solution with crystaldisk,disabling APM made the trick,no more clicking. About the wifi . I tried 3 different versions of drivers with no luck. Also i dont have any asus software installed like gaming center. The only solution was some messing with the registry keys. Now it's much more stable,no more lagg spikes.
I know 2 people in my country which have the same machine as me. They didnt have to trick anything to get it working as it should. Also they dont have the uefi booting black screen problem.
I have to trick everything to get it working meanwhile others don't. Especially that black screen problem. Some owners have it and others dont. Why is that so?

BigDRim
Level 7
For the black screen, i read that disabling Windows update solves the problem.

sunny474
Level 7
Yup,i also see that post. i havent tried it yet. Btw other owners also do have win updates installed and they dont have that problem. I got other computers which are also running uefi win 8.1 with all updates installed. I didnt encounter this problem with them. Only the g751 does it.
So i still dunno that it is software or hardware failure and it is totally random. I cant reproduce the problem myself. Sometimes it boots properly for days and sometimes it does twice in a row.
I also tried to revert back to bios 204,same problem.