cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from G74sx to G751? Answer some questions about the screen for me please :)

JerJer123
Level 7
Hi there. I am really close to pulling the trigger on a G751jy, but one thing I am concerned about is the display/screen quality.

Right now, I have an older generation G74sx-XT1 that has a glossy screen and the display is gorgeous. That being said, the G751jy and all the other G751 models (apart from the touch screen version I think) come with a IPS Matte display.

My question to users who went from the G74 to the G751 - and even other users who switched from glossy to this - how do they compare in terms of screen/picture quality? Did it take some time getting used to the matte screen? Was it better?

I would really like to hear your feedback regarding the display on the G751 because I have only had laptops with glossy screens up until this point, and I've always found their picture quality to be overall better than the matte screens I saw on other notebooks. So, to my fellow ROG users, help me out 🙂
9 REPLIES 9

Arnas
Level 7
Hi there, for me G751jy display is one of the best i see on Notebook. Movies look great, high resolution images look sharp and games with great color pallet looks punchy and even black is good. I actually thought black gonna look bad, because i have Note 4 and i see how black should look like.

Arnas wrote:
Hi there, for me G751jy display is one of the best i see on Notebook. Movies look great, high resolution images look sharp and games with great color pallet looks punchy and even black is good. I actually thought black gonna look bad, because i have Note 4 and i see how black should look like.

Arnas, thanks for your response! I really appreciate it.

I'd love to hear from some more people 🙂

Arnas
Level 7
Every forum should be like family! And in family we help each other:).

Budman17r
Level 7
I just got the G751, I love the screen, great colors appears to have great response time, all in all very happy with my purchase. I have the G751JT-CH1.

NitroX
Level 10
In my opinion the display on the G751 is the best display that the G series has had until now. The colors are rich and the black is quite low for this kind of panels. I would have lower an even lower black value (of 0,2) but it is damn good as it is right now.

As for the Glossy to Matte change, you don't have to worry too much because the G751 doesn't have a full Matte display. It has a semi-glossy display, that keeps the colors rich and adds that non-reflective coating on the display. It's quite the perfect combination between matte and glossy. You can search a bit on the internet and see what are the goods and bads of a semi-glossy screen.

This being said, if the screen was the one that kept you from buying this laptop, then go for it! You won't regret after you see it running.
Buuut I strongly advise you to check your laptop for bleeding areas before buying it. This if you have the option of checking it at a reseller. If you are buying from an online store just pray you get one without bleeding from the first try because otherwise you will have to RMA if it has annoying bleeding.

I, for example, have a bleeding free screen.

Alevi
Level 7
Friend do not buy this notebook.
Look at my problem in this video and see the related links on the video other people here with the same problem.

Budman17r wrote:
I just got the G751, I love the screen, great colors appears to have great response time, all in all very happy with my purchase. I have the G751JT-CH1.

Awesome, Budman! Thanks for your input 🙂

NitroX wrote:
In my opinion the display on the G751 is the best display that the G series has had until now. The colors are rich and the black is quite low for this kind of panels. I would have lower an even lower black value (of 0,2) but it is damn good as it is right now.

As for the Glossy to Matte change, you don't have to worry too much because the G751 doesn't have a full Matte display. It has a semi-glossy display, that keeps the colors rich and adds that non-reflective coating on the display. It's quite the perfect combination between matte and glossy. You can search a bit on the internet and see what are the goods and bads of a semi-glossy screen.

This being said, if the screen was the one that kept you from buying this laptop, then go for it! You won't regret after you see it running.
Buuut I strongly advise you to check your laptop for bleeding areas before buying it. This if you have the option of checking it at a reseller. If you are buying from an online store just pray you get one without bleeding from the first try because otherwise you will have to RMA if it has annoying bleeding.

I, for example, have a bleeding free screen.

Wow, Nitro! That was an excellent write up. I am now going to pull the trigger and get the G751. I hope mine doesn't have any bleeding or any other problems. The sound issue, I guess I can tolerate, since I'll be using a headset, but I hope everything else is fully functional.

Thanks so much.

Alevi wrote:
Friend do not buy this notebook.
Look at my problem in this video and see the related links on the video other people here with the same problem.

While I can't see your video, I'm sorry you're having problems with your notebook, Alevi. I hope you can return it or at least send it in for RMA. Hoping mine wont give me any problems.

Portugieser
Level 7
Dude, read below a bit. Due to recent ASUS Quality Assurance, you have 2 scenarios after spending 2500USD:
1. all good and happy
2. freezing OS, keys and mousepads falling out, screen bleeding, bad sound, high temps, no response and support for user issues etc etc etc.

Now, roll the dice if you will ... and better luck than me 🙂 Because if you fall under category 2. pray for being in a country with fast RMA and easy refund process.

I dont want to cry endlessly here, this could have been the best Gaming Laptop ever, but ....

Portugieser wrote:
Dude, read below a bit. Due to recent ASUS Quality Assurance, you have 2 scenarios after spending 2500USD:
1. all good and happy
2. freezing OS, keys and mousepads falling out, screen bleeding, bad sound, high temps, no response and support for user issues etc etc etc.

Now, roll the dice if you will ... and better luck than me 🙂 Because if you fall under category 2. pray for being in a country with fast RMA and easy refund process.

I dont want to cry endlessly here, this could have been the best Gaming Laptop ever, but ....

I agree with you. ASUS have disappointed with the Quality Control on these babies, but yet there are more than enough people that don't have issues with their models. It is reassuring to know that you have the possibility to do a fast RMA if the reseller is in your town. I usually don't panic when buying new products because, as weird as it sounds, here in Romania we have very fast RMA services. As fast as I went to the reseller, with a premade online RMA request, they inspected by product and then they returned my money into my Buyers Account and I bought the other laptop right in the same day... I even had enough time to thoroughly inspect the other model in the showroom as to avoid any further issues 🙂 . Now I've got one without much problems. Just some high temps when playing demanding games, but I'll manage with those and I'll ask for a repaste at the warranty service.

So, you see, you can still enjoy these laptops. It's not like their are all full of defects. Hoping for better quality services on the future though.