cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do after buying new laptop, tests to check hardware?

amirzubair80
Level 9
Hi there guys what should I do after buying new laptop, means how can I check if all the hardware is working fine and nothing is faulty? Any tests?
6 REPLIES 6

DjReaper
Level 7
stress tests. you can find it on google here is an example http://www.jam-software.com/heavyload/

toronto699
Level 13
use backtracker to make copy of your C drive

GottiBoi55
Level 10
amirzubair80 wrote:
Hi there guys what should I do after buying new laptop, means how can I check if all the hardware is working fine and nothing is faulty? Any tests?

Hi amirzubair80,
The first thing you should do is create your Backtracker system recovery USB flash drive.
In case anything goes wrong you can restore your NB back to factory specs.
Backtracker Download

Here's two stress tests I run for CPU, and GPU.
If anything is faulty, or going to go wrong these tests will detect any issues.
I ran the Intel burn test full out (maxed out stress test) for one hour, and had no issues. (no thermal throttling)
For FurMark, run for 20 to 30 minutes, you should see temps around 85c to 90c
My FurMark test leveled out around 87C

1. CPU stress test >>>>>Intel Burn Test
2. GPU stress test >>>>>‎ FurMark

This should be what you need my friend for testing your NB imo.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

navis995
Level 11
Regarding FurMark. Some people reported it destroyed their GPU's. So I would advice not to use it. Instead try Heaven's benchmark with high/max preset. I actually reached higher temperatures faster than using FurMark. While for CPU. If you have a program like Sony Vegas to test the temperatures that would be fantastic as I've tested mine with Intel Burn Test and the temperatures were a lot lower than when I tested them with Sony Vegas.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

navis995 wrote:
Regarding FurMark. Some people reported it destroyed their GPU's. So I would advice not to use it. Instead try Heaven's benchmark with high/max preset. I actually reached higher temperatures faster than using FurMark. While for CPU. If you have a program like Sony Vegas to test the temperatures that would be fantastic as I've tested mine with Intel Burn Test and the temperatures were a lot lower than when I tested them with Sony Vegas.

navis995, although we appreciate the heads up, that is a really old issue, furmark downclocks when it detects an Nvidia GPU, and Nvidia downclocks when it detects furmark/OCCT - safely running under the limits of the Nvidia GPU. We have been using furmark for a long time after those incidents of many years ago.

Does Furmark really kill video cards?
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/677416-Does-Furmark-really-kill-video-cards

GTX580 throttling question
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/659870-GTX580-throttling-question

Don't do this 🙂

Disable GeForce GTX 580 Power Throttling using GPU-Z
http://www.techpowerup.com/134460/disable-geforce-gtx-580-power-throttling-using-gpu-z.html

That overheating problem was solved by the benchmarks long before the Nvidia hardware solution was implemented in the GTX580.

Unigine benchmarks are good too 🙂

navis995 wrote:

I ran FurMark to burn in my GPU for one hour at three difference times for a total of three hours.
(Do not run these burn ins consecutively, give your GPU a good cool down time, at lease one hour, or even better the next day)
FurMark is perfectly safe, that's if you run the program correctly.
Set the temp alarm within spec for your GPU, and most of all, keep an eye on the burn in process.
You don't want to just run FurMark burn in and leave it.
Also running a program like HWiNFO64 (sensors) at the same time will help confirm temps.
Running HWiNFO64 is good for confirming if any thermal throttling has occurred during the burn in.

Hope this gives you some insight on the process.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"