cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-code 76: meaning?

ariskar
Level 7
I randomly get a Q-code 76 and subsequent failure to boot unless I clear CMOS once every two weeks.

In the manual it is stated as: "PCH DXE Initialisation, PCH Module specific".

Any clue what that means or its cause may be? :confused:
5 REPLIES 5

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi ariska.., First make sure all drivers are up to date.

DXE = Driver Execution Environments.
Once system RAM is initialized and the PEI phase completes, the DXE environment is entered.

The only way to determine this DXE initialization error is to benchtest all components outside your case, as you may have a short to MB standoffs.
It will be a process of elimination by adding one component at a time with a reset to check your Qcode between each addition and see where the stop error occurs. Test with just one DIMM installed and try switching around. I would also run a full Memtest86+ cycle once you are in bios.

If available with your MB, make sure to populate the 4pin socket to assist your CPU.
It can also be as simple as a Bios update, or 1 faulty DIMM. There are many things that can cause this error.
Bent pins in the CPU socket, faulty DIMMs, bad MB or CPU. All will have to be checked if this error persists.
Check the simple things first and see how you go.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Is your system overclocked? And are you running the latest BIOS for the R5E?

No OC, just running my 16GB kit at its XMP 2400 CL12. BIOS 1001, so yes.

Memtest86+ returns no errors.

Once on Qcode 76, the system will always reboot on 76. MEM OK doesn't help. Clearing CMOS makes the system boot (again) stable.

Scytale
Level 7
Any news on this? This error happens to me today.

JimGamer
Level 9
Yep same here today First time i had it . i shut down my system . turn my power supply completly off unplug the plug ; put it back in turn power supply back on . and start my pc at the mobo itself . then i had a message oc error F1 so i could go back in to UEFI and put my option back to Normal.
No problem now it seems!
But whats the use of a mobo like this if you cant OC?
Regards
Jim