cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PB278Q vs PB287Q

Heini
Level 11
I'm currently happy with a 278Q on 2x GTX 980's. However, I have another GTX 980 on the way, so I'm considering upgrading to the 287Q. What if anything would be better about the 3840 x 2160?
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hello Heini

If I remember correctly you were gaming on the ROG swift 1440p resolution monitor. Going to a 4k resolution monitor will be about twice as crisp, clear and detailed as 1440p, just be sure the 4k monitor is 60 hertz.

On the flipside though it's also twice as demanding and adding another 980 is a good decision in my opinion. The only drawback is with three gpu's the airflow is severely restricted. I can confirm this with my three 680's. The bottom card temp is fine but the middle and top card runs 15c - 20c hotter around 85c which is ok for a gpu but you really don't want to see any higher temps than that.

4GB of video memory is enough for 4k, I confirmed this by using DSR in the NVidia control panel but three 680's don't have the processing power to handle 4k at 60FPS. Three 980's on the other hand should do just fine as long as you don't use AA.

Nate152 wrote:
If I remember correctly you were gaming on the ROG swift 1440p resolution monitor.

Na, not a Swift, just a cheap ole PB278Q (60hz/1440p), lol. I guess I need to study some on TN, PLS, etc. and the quality of colors, grays, etc. I'm using slots 1 & 5 for two way so heat is not a problem. I haven't checked yet but if I can use 1, 5 & 7 I should be OK since I'm using slot 4 for the sound card. If I have to use 1, 3 & 5 I doubt I'll go 3-way.

Volt
Level 9
ASUS announced 2 more monitors at the recent CES. It might be worth checking out. Although I don't know when those will be available.

A 4k with g-sync
http://rog.asus.com/393642015/gaming-monitors/ces-2015-rog-swift-pg27aq-27-inch-4k-lcd-with-gsync/

And an IPS with g-sync (not 4k)
http://rog.asus.com/393632015/gaming-monitors/ces-2015-mg279q-27-inch-wqhd-ips-at-120hz/

Thanks Volt! I'll keep an eye out for them but I expect they'll be out of my cost/effective range. I play slow moving stealth games but I like eye candy so true gaming monitors aren't necessary for me, but one sure would be a bonus. Just out of curiosity, what would the benefit be in adding g-sync to a 60hz monitor?

Nate152
With g-sync you can go over the 60 hertz refresh rate and not get screen tear.

Also what slots you can use on your x99 deluxe for 3 way sli will determine what cpu you have. If you have the 5930k or 5960x you can use slots 1-3-5 or slots 1-2-4.

You might want to check your motherboard box to see if you have a 3 way sli connector for both configurations.

Nate152 wrote:
Also what slots you can use on your x99 deluxe....
Slow down Nate, I'm still on the Z97-WS. You trying spend all my mad money, haha?

Sorry Heini I can't seem to find anything on 3 way sli and the z97 -ws.

Take a look in your motherboard box it should have come with a card showing the gpu configuration, at least my maximus v extreme did. And by the looks of it you will have to use pcie slots 1-2-3 to be able to use the 3 way sli connector, but take a look and see if you have a card that shows the gpu configuration.

Z97-WS uses 1, 3 & 5 for 3-way. I'd have to gamble on the sound card in slot 7 and that'd probably whack the sli so it looks like I'm staying @ 1440p for a while longer. I have a MaxVII-Gene that the third card will go in so all is OK.

Nate152
Oh sorry , let me look this up for you, I thought you had the x99 deluxe.;)