cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Asus G75VX while watching movies

Evgeny_Holevchu
Level 7
Good evening.

About 2 years ago I bought a laptop Asus G75VX. Throughout the year, the laptop worked steadily without any problems.
About 9 - 10 months ago I had a very strange laptop malfunction - while watching a movie in high quality (1080p) - laptop began to make strange noises like squeaking. At the same time, several minutes the film kept going - but after then - system crashed. Helped only reboot. I found that if during the first minute - turn off film, the operation of the system is stabilized.
I have two identical hard disk drives each with a volume of 750 GB (Hitachi HTS727575A9E364 (750 ГБ, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)).
I have present in the system three logical drives - (C, D, E).
C and D - the first disc, E - full second. C - contains the operating system Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language. The logical drive D contains software and games. Logical drive E on 85% filled with movies and music.
Movies I always look from drive E. At the time when it starts squeaking - Task Manager shows that drives C and D are loaded at 100%. If have time to turn off the film - load almost immediately drops to 5% and the operation of the system returns to normal.

I was able to record the sound that produces a laptop while freezes. Here I can not attach the file. I dropped the file on a public ftp server - if someone wants to listen - here is the link: http://www.ex.ua/752709119615

This problem does not repeat all the time - but occasionally - sometimes several months, nothing happened - and then abruptly problems begin.

Maybe someone ever come across with anything similar? If someone has at least some any suggestions or ideas that what it may be - will be very grateful!!! (I am sorry for bad English)).
16 REPLIES 16

Konstantin77
Level 7
I had exactly the same problem. there was no need to was movie... just play music mp3 and nothing more! I send it to the service, they replaced the HDD. The problem was limited but not vanished. I sent it back along with other problems (sudden shut down etc) and finally they replaced the motherboard.
Google search the term "100% disk utilization". It is something you should consider as well.

So if I understand correctly that you mean, then the problem is in the hard drive? And the only solution may be just the replacement hard drive in the service center?

it is one of the possible causes. check the hard drive with HDD sentinel for the health issues (SMART reallocation etc).
Also check for win problems. The 100% utilization is common in win 8. It is supposed to be related with power saving settings etc. change them as well (select full power, performance or something similar).
I suspect design flaws as well. but there is no real proof for this. I started a thread 1 year ago or so. Search the forum. I did not received any real answer, but I posted some pics as well to compare.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40259-G75vx-problem-with-HDD-Sometimes-not-respondng!

Once in service center changed the hard drive and motherboard - the problem disappeared?

Konstantin77 wrote:
I had exactly the same problem. there was no need to was movie... just play music mp3 and nothing more! I send it to the service, they replaced the HDD. The problem was limited but not vanished. I sent it back along with other problems (sudden shut down etc) and finally they replaced the motherboard.
Google search the term "100% disk utilization". It is something you should consider as well.

Let's just say - I just did not expect that the laptop is bought for $ 1500, which is considered a laptop from Asus VIP series, will begin to give such failures within a year of use !!!

Konstantin77
Level 7
it is one of the possible causes. check the hard drive with HDD sentinel for the health issues (SMART reallocation etc).
Also check for win problems. The 100% utilization is common in win 8. It is supposed to be related with power saving settings etc. change them as well (select full power, performance or something similar).
I suspect design flaws as well. but there is no real proof for this. I started a thread 1 year ago or so. Search the forum. I did not received any answer, but I posted some pics as well to compare.

Konstantin77
Level 7
I did extensive self diagnostic test. I am sure it got better. But I have another theory as well: do you play the sound via the embedded speakers or external ones? I think maybe the vibrations from the sub, are creating the problem with the HDD. So check another HDD (external), sound from external speakers and windows energy saving options.

Konstantin77 wrote:
I did extensive self diagnostic test. I am sure it got better.

After replacing the hard drive and motherboard - Laptop freezes at 100% load on the hard disk was not even once?
Konstantin77 wrote:
But I have another theory as well: do you play the sound via the embedded speakers or external ones?

Very rare. Basically, always listening to music, playing games, watching movies - through headphones.

It was very obvious before the service, I had bsod sometimes. After HDD replacement,I managed to reproduce it but not freezing, only 100% utilization. After the motherboard replacement I bought SSD, so there are no more such problems.