cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For anyone who has a 4790k running hot, here is the fix that worked for me

digmeahole1
Level 10
I am not a novice and this is not my second post. Miserable site made me change my user name when i registered a new mobo.
I just put together a new rig with a maximus VII formula and was pulling my teeth out trying to figure out why my new devil's canyon was hitting 80c at stock clocks and a fixed vcore.

I had to manually input the turbo watts as asus bios auto setting is WAY out of line for this cpu. photo is below and cured my issues. fully stressed for 1 hour on an older corsair h80 vcore at 1.150 volts 4.6 ghz high tems of 64-69c now. Also vcore was jumping up even though i had llc disabled. I had to set the FIVR to balanced to get rid of that. The values are CORRECT asus for some reason multiplies whatever you put in the field by 8X! :mad:

Credit to koroziv for posting this on the intel forum! TY:D

hope this helps anyone who needs it. & Asus...you need to fix your bios for this cpu. Posted all over the net....

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.
30 REPLIES 30

koroziv
Level 9
That is my screenshot, I posted on 4-5 forums around the web 😛
Yeah, the values in the photo alone will help with the temps and lowering the voltage a little is even better. As I asked you in another thread, post your own screens with the voltage settings, it will be helpful.

Every time i took a screen shot in my bios it came out very small so i did a pic search and used this one . not sure who it belongs to as there is a few out there but it is the intel default wattage for the i4970k. If it is yours, thanks for putting it up. The only setting in there that is not default is the cpu integrated vr current limit. you have to try and reach that # by seeing if your turbo boost throttles at all during a stress test. mine is set at 260 as i have all 4 turbo cores set to enhanced.

PS: I never spoke to you in "another thread" but my vcore is 1.150 and i am sure i can get it lower at 4.6
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.

csimon
Level 10
How did you come up with the figures?
M7H (2012) | i7-4790K @ 4.7ghz @ 1.275v | cache @ 4.4ghz @ 1.275v |16gb (2x8) Xtreem @ DDR3-2666 (11-13-13-35-1T) | GTX 770 | AX860 PSU

CVF-Z (2002) | FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz @ 1.4875v | cpu/nb @ 2600 @ 1.275v | ht @ 2600 | 8gb (2x4) Redlines (996997) @ DDR3-2133 (9-11-10-28-1T) | GTX570 | 850Z PSU

The watts are intel max tdp numbers found at the intel thread about overheating. Every time i entered intels numbers i came up with a way higher value in intel extreme tuning utility. I did some searching and found it on the intel site that that asus uses a 8x multiplier for what ever you enter in the long and short duration so the 11=88 tdp watts and the 14= 112 max watts. max is supposed to be 1.25 x long.

Managed to get a normal size screen shot.

csimon wrote:

csimon wrote:

First I found recommended values here , 88 and 110 W
https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23517?forceNoRedirect=true
when using those values I was reading in windows 704 and 880. There is a simetry that strikes me and after
a few seconds I realized that those are my imputed values ( 88 and 110) multiplied by 8.
so I get back in bios and use 11 and 14 (can't input decimals there, so I had to round it up to 14) and
now xtu reads 88 and 112.
The current limit is different for other motherboards, for some 105 or 160 is enough, I get throttling with anything
below 256A.
I first posted about this here
https://communities.intel.com/thread/54032?start=420&tstart=0
on page 29, then I tried to spread the word about that bug 🙂
I have no problem with people using my screens, but it's nice to mention the source for something you use.
At least I try to do that.
@ digmeahole1
I asked you for the voltages photo also in another thread, no answer.
now you can take decent ones and still nada 🙂
No problem, you explain them clear enough, and every cpu is different.
I wish you all low Temps and a high Ghz number 🙂
Edit
multiple edits, using an old tablet and autocorrect fails big time...

You wasted my time in a fake post asking for info you do not need ty!

Why are you giving me a headache? why are you pretending that you need info in another thread where i was trying to help someone with a fluctuating vcore? Making post photos for no reason?! Do me a favor and stop playing games. It took me days of reading to fix my vcore issue. The turbo issue is a totally separate issue. how do i give credit on a image search. I need advil because of you. please play nice. 😞

PS: I never knew you were the one in the intel forum that figured out the 8x issue. TY now to take my advil.

koroziv
Level 9
Calm down man, it was never my intention to start something like this.
I didn't fake anything, my request was honest.
Then you explained again and I read both posts more carefully.
So no ss necessary for me, but I'm still thinking that it might be
useful to someone. That is up to you.
But please calm down, it was not my intention to upset you.
It must be my crappy English, some times people misunderstand what I'm actually trying to say.

your english is better than mine! I am calm i was trying to bust your chops 🙂 back. the advil was a joke. that is the problem with words when you dont see a face...you can't always tell if someone is joking or not. that is why i put the sad face and said TY. no biggie. & i did answer post photos for you in the other thread. How in the world did you figure out the 8x multiplier asus was using? MAJOR FIND 4 US ALL!

koroziv
Level 9
There is a symmetry between the values entered and the output.
Something that draw my attention, and it just hit me.
The 880 was screaming at me 110 x 8 and very fast I divided both values by 8.
It's not such a major find in my opinion, just hope that it will get
fixed in the next version, along with other improvements for these boards.