cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G-sync really nessassary ?

Gphish
Level 7
Is it really for those who don't have the GPU power that this technology really benefits those who don't? I never have a problem I'm running two 690's and I never have had any issues except for Battlefield 3 but that has been taken care of long ago. Interested in the feedback.
17 REPLIES 17

Volt
Level 9
I wondered the exact same thing, when I went new monitor shopping several months ago.

Check out 4:42 through 5:42, for Linus Tech Tips explains; v-sync, not using v-sync (tearing), and g-sync. It's a 10 minute video review of the ASUS Rog Swift monitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdqTIfNv2DE

Gaming with a monitor with G-Sync, (I'm using the Asus Rog Swift), makes gaming a wonderful experience. Graphics moving on screen is very smooth and more life like. It reminds me going on Star Tours and getting sucked into the reality of what your seeing onscreen as really happening.

I'd suggest you take a look at a g-sync monitor in person and see for your self.

Gphish
Level 7
I simply don't ever see that or experience they illustrated in that video. I use an old Asus VG236H 23 Full HD 120Hz 3D.
I run my games on SSD (don't know if it make a difference ) and the two 690's I don't ever use V-Sync I play Farcry 4 and battlefield 4 and simply can see no tearing no matter how fast I move or FOV. On some other forums it seems mixed. What's your GPU? or what kind of monitor did you have before? I don't know what the comparison is.

Gphish wrote:
I simply don't ever see that or experience they illustrated in that video. I use an old Asus VG236H 23 Full HD 120Hz 3D.
I run my games on SSD (don't know if it make a difference ) and the two 690's I don't ever use V-Sync I play Farcry 4 and battlefield 4 and simply can see no tearing no matter how fast I move or FOV. On some other forums it seems mixed. What's your GPU? or what kind of monitor did you have before? I don't know what the comparison is.

I got a new gaming rig last Novemeber. The new monitor came a couple weeks after that. I have an Intel i7-4790K 4.0 GHz. My previous processor was some intel 2.4 Ghz from 2008. My previous monitor was a Dell 24", I think it's a 2408WFP. I got it used from a buddy around 2008 for my previous computer. So I don't think it's a newer model than that. So it had a max resolution of 1920x1080, with a 60Hz max refresh rate. And I was happy with how it looked. Although I never really was able to compare it to other monitors. I used that Dell 24" for a couple weeks with my new gaming rig.

I remember running that GeForce Pendulum g-sync demo. http://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

I think there are options to run it; without g-sync, wth g-sync, and with v-sync.

Perhaps a simple summation of those things are as follows ...

Without v-sync/nor g-sync, you can get image tearing.
With v-sync, you get no image tearing, but you can get input lag.
With g-synch, no tearing and no input lag.

Nate152
If you don't go over your monitors refresh rate, you won't get screen tear.

I've never used g-sync but from what I've seen it's great thing, it allows you to go over your monitors refresh rate and not have screen tear. As I understand it also gives smoother gameplay at lower frame rates.

Gphish
Level 7
How is it possible to go beyond the limitations of the monitors refresh rate? and what is your support of this? Where do I find actual proof of this?

Gphish wrote:
How is it possible to go beyond the limitations of the monitors refresh rate? and what is your support of this? Where do I find actual proof of this?

Easily, especially if you have high end video card(s). Just run up FRAPS and you can see, if your monitor is 60hz then any frame rate exceeding 60fps is exceeding the limitation of your monitor... there is the proof.
Trust me you want G-sync, but if you don't know any better, then you don't' know what your missing out on. Hence you can save $$. But once you have G-Sync you won't go back. Just my 2c

Cheers

Deon017
Level 8
Don't know to much about monitors , but had a 120Hz monitor and upgraded it to the Swift - I did not expect alot of difference, but was totally wrong - I agree with Volt - will never get one without G-Sync again - made a big difference with BF4 - love it

gabbo
Level 9
for me g-sync is not all that, i have rog swift and always use ULMB. I have 2x gtx 980 and in games like BF4, i think ULMB is better and dont know is it just me, but when i play fps games with g-sync, i feel a little lag.

gabbo wrote:
for me g-sync is not all that, i have rog swift and always use ULMB. I have 2x gtx 980 and in games like BF4, i think ULMB is better and dont know is it just me, but when i play fps games with g-sync, i feel a little lag.

I always have g-sync on out of habit, when playing games. But I should try out the ULMB to see how I like it. I can have one, or the other active. But not both.

Menu: What is ULMB?
Ultra Low Motion Blur – this is backlight strobing to reduce motion blur. It is available on the [85-100] 120Hz option (not 60Hz or 144Hz) and it is incompatible with G-Sync. When G-Sync is enabled ULMB is disabled. The yellow power LED light indicates the ULMB is on.

http://rog.asus.com/339252014/gaming-monitors/faq-rog-swift-pg278q-27-inch-g-sync-gaming-monitor/