Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 235
  1. #141
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    I'm generalizing for the benefit of brevity; referring to the most popular titles within that genre, but if we want to be anal, yes, each game has its own very specific load.

    The GTX 980M and 970M are premium chips with an equal price and power use. The GTX 960M is the performance-mid area that allows price/power/performance blend due to current technology limitations. It's certainly not entry level; that would be 940/930/920 or Intel graphics.



    Appreciated.

    You can try to put higher-end chips in thin notebooks but then you get complaints of very hot surface temps, throttling or just plain overheating. Especially if you don't have AC at home (many countries dont) or live in a humid environment. If you live in Norway, well, buy Razer (for a ~30% higher price) :P
    I have to agree that it is a real shame this laptop doesn't even have an option for the 970m. I can see the 960m running the full had model pretty well, but at 4k I believe the increase in horsepower would be borderline necessary... I wish it was atleast an option.

    That is honestly the only thing holding this laptop back from being perfect and the best really portable laptop. Don't get me wrong, It's still better than the MSI 4k which has a crappy refresh rate, and in my opinion still slightly beats the razer blade mainly because of price, but also because the blade is only 14" for some reason and that really bothers me...

    But because of this I'm still debating whether to purchase the G501, the Blade, or a 3k GS60, if I can find one with a 970m...

  2. #142
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    so putting aside the petty names, basically we all like the design (save for that one guy who is really disappointed there is a num pad... sorry),
    the 960m isn't a bad chip, but it's probably not the best fit for the gamer market who are buying a 4K display like this laptop. This however is really not up to asus,
    they are correct in choosing this chip because of heat and energy, it's still a great laptop and worth considering, and as they will eventually refresh this laptop in the coming year with a pascal GPU 1060m
    or some such chip with the lower voltage and heat and higher outputs will make this laptop perfect for a lot of people. i look forward to seeing what happens to this laptop.

    i'm not sure how fast the average laptop gamer cycles through laptops but I'm only on my second one (g75VW when it came out is my current).
    so if possible can we keep this civil and learn as much as we can from asus instead of calling each other names (both sides here), everyone is entitled to choose whats best for them, and asus will make what they think is best for as many people as possible so they can turn a profit.

    who knows what sort of surprises asus might throw into the refresh, or what the laptop will actually run, has anyone actaully got their hands on one of these laptops to try an overclock?

  3. #143
    Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U
    _'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    119
    Posts
    5,750

    I will certainly feedback the need for a faster chip to our product managers. Maybe next gen they can accommodate

    17" 4K displays should be available by year end, so who knows for the G752?

  4. #144
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by Sieg131 View Post
    so putting aside the petty names, basically we all like the design (save for that one guy who is really disappointed there is a num pad... sorry),
    the 960m isn't a bad chip, but it's probably not the best fit for the gamer market who are buying a 4K display like this laptop. This however is really not up to asus,
    they are correct in choosing this chip because of heat and energy, it's still a great laptop and worth considering, and as they will eventually refresh this laptop in the coming year with a pascal GPU 1060m
    or some such chip with the lower voltage and heat and higher outputs will make this laptop perfect for a lot of people. i look forward to seeing what happens to this laptop.

    i'm not sure how fast the average laptop gamer cycles through laptops but I'm only on my second one (g75VW when it came out is my current).
    so if possible can we keep this civil and learn as much as we can from asus instead of calling each other names (both sides here), everyone is entitled to choose whats best for them, and asus will make what they think is best for as many people as possible so they can turn a profit.

    who knows what sort of surprises asus might throw into the refresh, or what the laptop will actually run, has anyone actaully got their hands on one of these laptops to try an overclock?
    I would love to see a refresh of this laptop next year with Nvidia Pascal GPU and a Intel Skylake CPU.

  5. #145
    Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U
    _'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    119
    Posts
    5,750

    There will definitely be Skylake updates all round much later this year. It's only March now. We do periodic refreshes as new tech arrives.

  6. #146
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    There will definitely be Skylake updates all round much later this year. It's only March now. We do periodic refreshes as new tech arrives.
    I'm glad to hear that .
    Like i said maybe later i will buy this laptop with Skylake and Nvidia Pascal GPU.

  7. #147
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by esfomeado View Post
    I'm glad to hear that .
    Like i said maybe later i will buy this laptop with Skylake and Nvidia Pascal GPU.
    we can all imagine the dream,
    Pascal
    skylake
    ddr4
    and a better battery life to boot (not sure how much extra space you get with the smaller memory modules)

    i would buy that in a heart beat at this size. throw in a ROG laptop sleeve

  8. #148
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    With all the pain Realtek has been at the center of with the G750/G751/?, how about we try something else for a change?

  9. #149
    Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U
    _'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    119
    Posts
    5,750

    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    With all the pain Realtek has been at the center of with the G750/G751/?, how about we try something else for a change?
    It's how Windows handles 2.1 systems that are the fault. Previous to Realtek we used VIA - same result. Realtek are the most compatible and most used sound products in the entire PC industry.

  10. #150
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    1

    To MarshallR@Asus -- I'm not sure if this was answered already but:

    When do you expect the G501s to ship with the new 5th generation Broadwell processors? I know intel is still dragging its feet with releasing the quadcore version of these processors. Or will Asus skip this all together and just wait to refresh with Skylake (whenever that will happen, I'm guessing sometime in 2016 with Intels slow track records...)

    Thank you!

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •