New ROGer Array

G72GX Windows 7 or 8.1?

I just got a great used ROG G72GX that has windows 8.1 on it. I am considering going back to win 7. Does anyone have any real
    comparisons on this machine concerning performance between win 7 and 8.1? Device manager still lists 2 "base system device" no driver installed but I don't know if I'm keeping win 8.1 anyway. Any info is appreciated.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array C4RN1 PC Specs
    C4RN1 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G51VX, G71G, G73, G74SX, G53SX, G53JW, G46VW, X501A, X401A
    MotherboardASUS M5A88-V EVO
    ProcessorAMD FX-4350 Vishera Quad 4.2GHz
    Memory (part number)16GB 4x4gb Mushkin Black Line
    Graphics Card #1HD Radeon 5970
    Graphics Card #2HD Radeon 5970
    Graphics Card #3HD Radeon 5970
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA450 x2 (Provided by HP)
    Storage #1Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
    Storage #2Western Digital 1.5 TB HDD
    CaseAntec 900
    Power SupplyKingwin Lazer 1000W
    Keyboard HP OEM
    Mouse Logitech Anywhere MX
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 7, Windows 8.1
    Network RouterLinksys E-1000 (DDWRT)

Is it a legit copy of windows 8.1? Is it activated?

If so I would just try to have the computer update the drivers automatically.

To update automatically press the windows button on the bottom left of your keyboard and type “devices and printers” and press enter. You will see two options on the top left, select "View devices and printers". Under devices your will see your laptop, right click and select “troubleshoot” near the bottom. Windows will scan your computer and ask you if you would like to install a driver for the device. Click “apply this fix”.

You may have to change the setting to automatically download and install the latest drivers. You will have this option if the device fails to install. Click “view and change settings” then select “always install the best driver from Windows Update”. Rerun the “troubleshoot” function and the latest driver should install.

I would guess the base system devices to be either the memory card reader, imei or irst. They should install automatically though.

Let us know how it goes.

New ROGer Array

Unfortunately it was not legit. I have since installed Win 7 and used all drivers available from asus and now I have an "unknown device" in device manager. I used a generic copy of win 7 and the coa code so it is legit, but I havn't had any success trying to figure out what device this is. I did the card reader, touchpad, turbo gear, and I havn't had any success yet. Any ideas?

New ROGer Array

Fixed: Windows update took care of it, I believe it was related to the atheros wireless card driver update.