Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I know ROG likes to tout that it includes more professional Audio software, if the specs are the same will this really make that much of a difference?
    also since this is basically the zen book pro, (and while i do love this new laptop I don't need to upgrade immediately...) since i don't really follow the zen books,
    is this going to get a refresh next year (or the zen book pro variant?) I love the design, and i love how far it's come but i'm almost hesitant to wait to see if the price will drop or if this price but refreshed next year is what i want.

either way it's still a great laptop, but not much better (if at all) than my current G75vw that i've been slowly upgrading since i bought, though i'm keen for the smaller design.

so yeah:
    Q1: Will this (or the zen book pro) refresh later? (ddr4? pascal GPU? or HDMI 2.0 full output)
    Q2: Will the fabled ROG version sound and picture be enhanced by the better software? (noticeably?)
    Q3: Will the G501 notebook have a small (not refresh but...version shift?) in the summer so I can buy it with windows 10 drivers and such preinstalled?

Will ROG defeat zenbook pro in the next episode of ASUS BALL Z?
    Last edited by Sieg131; 03-20-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by Sieg131 View Post
    I know ROG likes to tout that it includes more professional Audio software, if the specs are the same will this really make that much of a difference?
    Not hugely - the underlying hardware will be much the same, but different folks for different strokes. Some markets want the UX, some the G, some both.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tbh if you want really better sound - our USB sound cards are pretty good and scale from thumb-drive size to super-pro Essence series.

is this going to get a refresh next year (or the zen book pro variant?) I love the design, and i love how far it's come but i'm almost hesitant to wait to see if the price will drop or if this price but refreshed next year is what i want.
    There will be a refresh every time there's a new quad-core("proper") CPU with full PCIE graphics port. The U's don't have that. Can't comment what it will contain as it's whatever Intel/Nv decides to bring to market that fits this thermal envelope. Or, we could make it even thinner.. or fatter and faster... who knows :P

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    You can play DOTA 2 at 4K at Medium settings ...

It's not for FPS gamers, but RTS/MOBA/MMO is a huge portion of the Steam
    Excuse me, but whether an FPS, RTS, or extreme particle-effect tower defense game, all games have to render the same. Trying to claim 'rts/moba/mmo' games render easier than FPS may be worse marketing than nvidia claiming the 960m is a 9xx series GPU, when its the exact same chip as the previous generation.

And with regards to your DOTA 2 comment, (why you would opt to play at medium settings over a lower resolution is beyond me), and what about when it gets the Source 2 graphics update? What then?

The 960M is just a bad chip, its that simple.
    Last edited by BunnyKillBot; 03-22-2015 at 11:11 AM.

_ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyKillBot View Post
    Excuse me, but whether an FPS, RTS, or extreme particle-effect tower defense game, all games have to render the same. Trying to claim 'rts/moba/mmo' games render easier than FPS may be worse marketing than nvidia claiming the 960m is a 9xx series GPU, when its the exact same chip as the previous generation.

And with regards to your DOTA 2 comment, (why you would opt to play at medium settings over a lower resolution is beyond me), and what about when it gets the Source 2 graphics update? What then?

The 960M is just a bad chip, its that simple.
    I'm sorry but statistics disagree. Different games are based on different engines so they fundementally don't render differently to start with. Statistically a typical popular FPS title, on average, requires more graphical data processing and also require a higher average/min frame-rate to be playable. Outside of e-sports with their incredible APM requirements, MOBA/RTS can generally get away with a lower frame-rate and work from a fixed or limited viewpoint. That's not saying that FPS will have more graphical wizardry or wonder, but simply more elements to render.

Valve only just announced Source 2. If we look at 'Valve time' you'll be buying not the next generation of this notebook, probably 2-3 down the road. We don't even have Steam OS officially yet and that was announced in 2013. Valve certainly won't do anything to hurt its existing franchise - I would expect the new engine to scale well. Not to mention it should have DX12 advantages in near-metal processing for better efficiency - which this Maxwell chip provides.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    That's not saying that FPS will have more graphical wizardry or wonder, but simply more elements to render.
    Wrong, the genre of a game has nothing to do with number of elements to render. Where the camera is floating does not affect scene complexity.

And you seem to have ignored the 960m is simply a bad chip entirely.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-....137893.0.html

960m - 4418 Points
    970m - 7440 Points
    980m - 9809 Points

Now with a 970m, this thing would be utterly amazing, but with that 960m, which the 980m more than doubles, its absolute garbage trash. At some point, your marketing machine / design team are going to have to admit you made a mistake putting an entry level graphics chip in a premium product.
    Last edited by BunnyKillBot; 03-23-2015 at 12:33 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

The key comment was "Statistically a typical popular FPS title, on average, requires more graphical data processing and also require a higher average/min frame-rate TO BE PLAYABLE" This is undoubtedly true. There just isn't much need for high twitch FPS in MOBA/RTS. These games can indeed be playable with lesser GPUs. Search out the stats on steam behind what GPUs most players use for various games and the trend Marshall speaks of is clear as day.

You either missed the point of what Marshall was saying, or you are cherry picking on purpose tp support your argument.

That said, I also think the 970m would have been preferred as long as they can fit that that GPU into the price point and thermals. Which I suspect they could not or it would be there...obviously. However, I concur that banging the drum too loudly that touts this notebook's gaming performance would seem tricky given the mainstream performance of the 960m. On the other hand, compared to a lot of other ultrabooks, the 960m is a nice feature that allows gaming to be enjoyable (along with other gamer centric features of the notebook), so I can see where Asus is trying to place this product. If gaming was all I wanted out of a notebook, and thin and light was less important, I'd likely pick a different model. But if you want a ultrabook footfootprint and still want to game decently, then this notebook might be a good option (depending on final price point).

ROG Member Array

FYI, up until today, I held a pre-paid, preorder for this laptop, as i was prepared to sacrifice the GPU for the 4k, m2 and build quality, however I am so disgusted with the attempts to justify this chip from this 'rep' that I have cancelled my order for a Gigabyte P35x V3, 980M, same size and weight, cheaper, will arrive tomorrow and i will be able to run dota 2 (which i play) at 3K with the highest settings. job done.

ROG Enthusiast Array

FYI, up until today, I held a pre-paid, preorder for this laptop, as i was prepared to sacrifice the GPU for the 4k, m2 and build quality, however I am so disgusted with the attempts to justify this chip from this 'rep' that I have cancelled my order for a Gigabyte P35x V3, 980M, same size and weight, cheaper, will arrive tomorrow and i will be able to run dota 2 (which i play) at 3K with the highest settings. job done.
    I have the MSI GS60 (970m) and is just a beast and cheaper

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    ... If gaming was all I wanted out of a notebook, and thin and light was less important, I'd likely pick a different model. But if you want a ultrabook footfootprint and still want to game decently, then this notebook might be a good option (depending on final price point).
    I'm in this situation as well.

It is unfortunate to see such a high end notebook not using a better GPU than the 960m though.

I do think that this is going to be better for heat/fan/noise than the MSI and Gigabyte options if that means anything to anyone.

Agreed it is a weird way to justify the use of this chip. Alas, all I do nowadays is program java and occasionally play LoL. I guess these specs fit me... haha.

_ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1

Wrong, the genre of a game has nothing to do with number of elements to render. Where the camera is floating does not affect scene complexity.

And you seem to have ignored the 960m is simply a bad chip entirely.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-....137893.0.html

960m - 4418 Points
    970m - 7440 Points
    980m - 9809 Points

Now with a 970m, this thing would be utterly amazing, but with that 960m, which the 980m more than doubles, its absolute garbage trash. At some point, your marketing machine / design team are going to have to admit you made a mistake putting an entry level graphics chip in a premium product.
    I'm generalizing for the benefit of brevity; referring to the most popular titles within that genre, but if we want to be anal, yes, each game has its own very specific load.

The GTX 980M and 970M are premium chips with an equal price and power use. The GTX 960M is the performance-mid area that allows price/power/performance blend due to current technology limitations. It's certainly not entry level; that would be 940/930/920 or Intel graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    The key comment was "Statistically a typical popular FPS title, on average, requires more graphical data processing and also require a higher average/min frame-rate TO BE PLAYABLE" This is undoubtedly true. There just isn't much need for high twitch FPS in MOBA/RTS. These games can indeed be playable with lesser GPUs. Search out the stats on steam behind what GPUs most players use for various games and the trend Marshall speaks of is clear as day.

You either missed the point of what Marshall was saying, or you are cherry picking on purpose to support your argument.
    Appreciated.

You can try to put higher-end chips in thin notebooks but then you get complaints of very hot surface temps, throttling or just plain overheating. Especially if you don't have AC at home (many countries dont) or live in a humid environment. If you live in Norway, well, buy Razer (for a ~30% higher price) :P

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast