Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Skjoldur View Post
    I am waiting for some official information. There are too many rumors and guesses already.

It certainly does not help that there are several contradictory facts on different Asus websites. And on the german Asus site you can't even find it although it is available at certain resellers. -- Alas no version with TB, UHD or the 96Whrs battery..
    Agree, I also wait for some official information.

On Newegg, Manual H said his UHD display is matte. It appears LJ L's comment in Newegg Q&A about the model number was incorrect because it contradicts all other sources. Waiting for some official information or, equivalently, lab results.

ROG Member Array

How? The actual resolution will be 1080p, the rest is done by the display. Are you sure you don't mean one of those fake resolutions like MBPr uses for 1080p on retina displays?
    This is what I meant

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7939/s...pi-arms-race/4

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by J82 View Post
    But in this case they did not change the resolution, so of course they run into the scaling problems. I just said that you can reduce the resolution from UHD to FHD without the usual interpolation issues if need be. There will be no scaling.

ROG Member Array

But in this case they did not change the resolution, so of course they run into the scaling problems. I just said that you can reduce the resolution from UHD to FHD without the usual interpolation issues if need be. There will be no scaling.
    Ahh, gotcha.

I guess another thing we could do is get the FHD version , swap out the HD with a SSD (voiding the warranty), and see if we can buy an additional 96 watt battery to replace the one already in the case (not sure if this is possible, anyone?).

New ROGer Array

@MarshallR@ASUS Q re: Higher end processors / extra hard drives

Hi There

Two quick questions, apologies if these have been asked / answered before:
    1) Are versions with higher end 4th gen or 5th gen intel processors expected? If so, when would they be hitting the market?
    2) There seem to be two versions of the GX501 floating around: one with the SSD on m.2, and another (as in the Bulgarian review) with a spinning drive. Does that mean that the SSD version has a free slot for an extra drive? Or is the space perhaps taken up by the larger battery or sth. else?

Many thanks in advance for clarifying!

New ROGer Array

Just wondering will G501 be released in North America before end of April?
    I've been to various sites like NCIX, Newegg and Amazon and they don't have any info of it.
    I've been waiting for it since its announcement. Nah, don't want to get G551JW as it's 2GB dedicated memory at NCIX.
    Unless I can find the 4GB version somewhere.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Alboma View Post
    Just wondering will G501 be released in North America before end of April?
    I've been to various sites like NCIX, Newegg and Amazon and they don't have any info of it.
    I've been waiting for it since its announcement. Nah, don't want to get G551JW as it's 2GB dedicated memory at NCIX.
    Unless I can find the 4GB version somewhere.
    They are available at Newegg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834232427

And you are lucky: Its the best configuration.

New ROGer Array

I'm currently deciding between the G501 or the UX501 as my next laptop. I'll be using it for some moderate gaming, music production, work, and portable entertainment. I have two questions:

1. How big a difference does the 4 GB on the GTX 960 make compared to the 2 GB version that the UX501 has? If I don't intend to upgrade for a while, would the 2 GB make a significant difference in the long term, especially with the 4K screen?

2. Is the obnoxious Republic of Gamers logo on the lid of the G501 always that bright red, or is it a backlight that can be turned off? I don't really mind the black detailing of the rest of it, but that logo kills it for me.

Thanks!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by leognam View Post
    I'm currently deciding between the G501 or the UX501 as my next laptop. I'll be using it for some moderate gaming, music production, work, and portable entertainment. I have two questions:

1. How big a difference does the 4 GB on the GTX 960 make compared to the 2 GB version that the UX501 has? If I don't intend to upgrade for a while, would the 2 GB make a significant difference in the long term, especially with the 4K screen?

2. Is the obnoxious Republic of Gamers logo on the lid of the G501 always that bright red, or is it a backlight that can be turned off? I don't really mind the black detailing of the rest of it, but that logo kills it for me.

Thanks!
    I read somewhere that on a weak GPU like the 960m the amount of RAM above 2GB is negligible because the card would get performance problems before RAM problems. Kinda makes sense for most games I guess, and you are not going to play in 4k anyway, so 2GB is enough, I'd say.

I would buy either G501 or UX501, though I think the G501 looks a bit better, but then again, the UX501 has a touch screen. From my experience with the first Transformer, you get used to it very quickly.

But if Asus takes much longer with bringing either of those models with the larger battery, 4k and hopefully TB2.0 to the german market, I think I would rather wait for the next iteration of slim gaming notebooks, possibly with better CPU and GPU.

That said, it has become kinda quite with official responses...

ROG Enthusiast Array

My wife ordered one, arrived yesterday.
    So far the Quality is really good, I do not see such a bending of the Keyboard like in the Review under normal usage/pressure.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast