cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird issues with Rampage V: USB refresh sound constantly + random shut downs

5150_Joker
Level 7
Ok so the board was working good for a few days and then today it started having problems. The most concerning is that the system will shut down without warning (no bsod or error messages, event viewer is useless). This is all at stock optimal settings. Secondly, the device panel is constantly refreshing and I hear the USB chime as if it keeps searching for a new plugged in device. Thing is that I unplugged all external devices yet it persists. I also flashed it to the newest bios + cleared cmos twice now to no avail. Here's my setup:

Windows 8.1
Asus rampage V on latest bios with optimal settings
4 x 4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz Ram
Intel 5820K processor
2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC GPUs
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB SSD
1 TB Seagate HD
Corsair H100i cooling (with corsair link connected)
Corsair Ax1200i PSU (the older one that didn't have the OCP firmware)

Is this a faulty board? I requested an RMA with Amazon regardless.

Edit: Device manager is showing this now:

6 REPLIES 6

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Do you have any asmedia USB drivers installed? I'm not sure what device that is but I think its the build in Bluetooth see if disabling it in the BIOS removes it from device manager, Random shut downs are coursed by a unstable system normally memory related as I only got that problem when playing around with my memory settings.

5150_Joker
Level 7
I'm going to run memtest tonight but I really doubt the ram is faulty. I ran the R5E cd that came with it and it installed all the drivers etc and nothing showed as missing in the device manager. In fact, I just restarted the system and now the missing USB device is there again. It's likely one of the USB Composite devices which I'm guessing is the AS Media one? Pretty frustrating to have such an expensive board give these kinds of issues. Hoping the replacement fares better tomorrow. Thankfully I purchased from Amazon and they do same day shipments.

Raja
Level 13
Update to the latest UEFI build - 1001 from the ASUS support page. Use USB BIOS flashback in case the system is too unstable to flash when in "on" state.

List which USB devices are plugged into the board now.

-Raja

5150_Joker
Level 7
Hey Raja,

The system was already on 1001 bios and I reflashed it prior to this happening and reset the cmos. Anyhow, at the time of the writing, there were no external USB devices connected. The internal ones were the Corsair link for the PSU, USB 2.0 connector for the H100i and front panel usb ports as far as I recall. I've got a replacement board coming in today from Amazon so we'll see how that goes. In either case, I suspect the board is no good so it's going back. BTW, I have the AIDA system report in a zip file attached to the OP.

Raja
Level 13
If it keeps happening - remove Corsair link software and the internal Corsair USB connection from the system and see what happens. If act, if you're setting up the new board, do so without any of that stuff attached and installed. Basic system only with mouse keyboard.

5150_Joker
Level 7
Did this with the new board with and without Corsair link attached and there were no problems. So far it's holding up good so I packed up the first one and am going to send it back to Amazon later today. New one has already been flashed to bios 1001.

Thanks.