cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Before buying a G74

nesruler22
Level 7
Hey everyone,
This is my real 1st post here. Im thinking about buying a G74 for college but am starting to worry after reading so many people having problems with there trackpad exc, just wondering from the people that have one is it really worth it and what can I do besides upgrade BIOS and everything to make sure my machine runs well...
Thanks everyone!
15 REPLIES 15

JRd1st
Level 12
Well, to me it's worth it. I love this machine.

The first thing to do is to check everything out to see that it works then Register your warranties!!!!!!!. Then go to my New Drivers thread and download everything to a flash drive or to the other HDD if you have one. If you have a Win7 Home Premium Disk fine, if you don't download the one in my post and burn it to a DVD.

Then do a clean install of windows, followed by the chipset drivers, then the ATK Package, then everything else in order of importance to you.

Welcome to your new machine. You will notice that it runs like a different machine from the one you bought, a better one.

Aside from that, you may want to open it up and fix the ground going to the touchpad, as that's the Achilles heel of the G74. There are lots of thread and guides, just search for BrodyBoy's posts and you'll find more than you ever wanted to know about touchpads.

Seriously, this notebook RAWKS!!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

My thots being a G74SX owner for about 5 weeks now:
Pros: Solid built and heavy machine: a real desktop replacement with fast processor and graphics. Beefy hinge and nice rubber coating for non-slip wrist-rest. Awesome screen (1920x1080 FHD LED). Incredibly comfortable and spacious keyboard. Very quiet.

Cons: Useless BIOS: no control over anything relevant to performance (e.g. no RAID) or power (e.g no ACPI) really. Mediocre battery life (3 hours). No backup BIOS, meaning a bad flash dooms your machine to RMA. Slightly crippled CPU (does not reach full 2.9 GHz Turbo speed in Windows 7) which also throttles itself downwards when you drive it reasonably hard (but not overly so). All extra hotkeys for backlit KB, screen brightness, calculator button, power profiles, etc are software controlled, meaning you are constrained to using windows to get those features.

On my own G74SX-CST1 the first thing I did was burn a recovery DVD. Then I downloaded Hiren's BootCD, Windows 7, and the ASUS eDriver disk, both of which Chastity linked in the Sticky threads for this forum. The rest is easy: boot Hirens, remake the partitions on your drives the way you like them and get rid of the 25 GB "hidden" partition containing the recovery install (that you just backed up), install Windows 7 HP, and stick in the DVD with the ASUS drivers. Install only the ones you want. Finally, activate Windows using the product key on the sticker on the underside of the notebook.

Takes a couple hours, but its worth it: there is no trace of the polluteware that ASUS installs on there, your registry is clean, primed and unfragmented (uninstalling via control panel always leaves ghost garbage in your registry), and you have the disk partitioned the way you want, having recovered space from the hidden partition.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

JRd1st wrote:
Aside from that, you may want to open it up and fix the ground going to the touchpad, as that's the Achilles heel of the G74. There are lots of thread and guides, just search for BrodyBoy's posts and you'll find more than you ever wanted to know about touchpads.

Here's a good place to start reading about the touchpad issue: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?883-Troubleshooting-ASUS-G73-Touchpad-Problems/page36

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3426-G74SX-trackpad&highlight=g74sx+touchpad

It is possible to get a G74SX that does not exhibit the touchpad issue. I believe I have one - haven't experienced any problems with it in 2 months. If you do get an ASUS Laptop that exhibits erratic cursor movement in normal touchpad use (i.e. NOT while typing), be aware there is no software solution. The resolution involves removing the tape and adhesive from the back of the touchpad to get proper grounding of the unit. The touchpad itself may be faulty, with replacement being the only resolution.

I recommend buying from a reputable retailer like Amazon, who will exchange your system with a new one if you encounter problems, particularly if you encounter this issue. Don't spend any time on it, try to exchange it immediately to get one that works correctly.

As for making a purchase decision, I would recommend comparing the G74SX to similar offerings from Alienware, Sager, and MSI. From my research prior to purchase, Alienware is generally considered top of the line, but is more expensive. The guys at Xotic PC (who sell all 4 brands) on Notebook Review forum appear to believe Sager offers the most value for the buck . MSI offers hardware RAID0, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX570, a larger battery offering up to an extra hour of run time, less weight, smaller footprint, ports in the back of the laptop, and better built-in speakers. Like the G74SX, I've read reviews on NewEgg that indicate some MSI units suffer from poor build quality, and exhibit keyboard and mouse problems.

No matter which system you choose, I believe it is possible to get a lemon. That's why I think it is important to be able to readily exchange it for a new system. You may need to do this several times to get one without issues.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

BrodyBoy
Level 10
nesruler22 wrote:
Hey everyone,
This is my real 1st post here. Im thinking about buying a G74 for college but am starting to worry after reading so many people having problems with there trackpad exc, just wondering from the people that have one is it really worth it and what can I do besides upgrade BIOS and everything to make sure my machine runs well...
Thanks everyone!

The horror stories can be scary, I know. But there are probably a lot more people out there..those who never go to forums or write reviews...who are perfectly happy with their G74s.

If you do happen to get one that has one of the problems you've read about, and the basic advice here doesn't resolve it, just return it for another. Some of us have a high threshold for troubleshooting and experimenting and all that, but if you need a laptop for school and you need it to just work reliably, you have every right to insist on one that isn't troubled out-of-box. Choose a seller with a good return/exchange policy.

I strongly agree with JR about the advantages of a clean install....they always run better and more reliably, in my experience. But if you don't want to do that, it's not absolutely necessary. You can also just delete a bunch of the Asus bloatware and the machine will run more efficiently.

One last caveat: This isn't really what you'd call a "portable" kind of laptop; it's better thought of as a space-saving desktop replacement. So if you expect to be carrying your laptop around campus a lot, taking it to classes, the library, etc., schlepping this thing would get old in a hurry. A lighter 17" or even a 15" laptop might be a better fit for that.

380mcn
Level 9
i agree 100% with these answers!

I just want you to know that if you're going to college you have to carry it several times. This thing is huge and weights about 5kg.. about 11lbs and battery life is about 2 to 3hrs.
in your case i would buy an alienware m14x solely based on performance based on size and battery life! but if you're want a big thing, this g74 is awesome!

JRd1st
Level 12
Id say a G74 is too big for lecture hall use.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

G74 is like a G6.
G74SX-A1
BIOS: NONE | VGA: 560M @ 311.00 | WIFI: AR9002WB-1NG @ 9.2.0.458 | LAN: Realtek PCIe BGE @ 7.37.1229.2010 | Synaptic: 15.3.43.0 | Audio: Realtek @ 6.0.1.6564
Chipset: 9.3.0.1019 | P4G: 1.1.48 | Wireless Console : 3.0.27

380mcn
Level 9
what the hell is a G6?? sorry for being dumb!

380mcn wrote:
what the hell is a G6?? sorry for being dumb!

From the overplayed song here in the states, 'like a G6', referring to the Gulfstream 650 jet that is still in flight testing, but is the baddest business jet around.
G74SX-A1
BIOS: NONE | VGA: 560M @ 311.00 | WIFI: AR9002WB-1NG @ 9.2.0.458 | LAN: Realtek PCIe BGE @ 7.37.1229.2010 | Synaptic: 15.3.43.0 | Audio: Realtek @ 6.0.1.6564
Chipset: 9.3.0.1019 | P4G: 1.1.48 | Wireless Console : 3.0.27