cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair IV Formula Stuck initializing USB

ProbablyJunk
Level 7
I am afraid my MOBO is dead.

My computer would freeze while booting. I could not enter BIOS or do anything at all.

I pressed the CMOS reset button on the back panel, and now it freezes on "Press Del to run SETUP, press TAB to display BIOS POST message"
Pressing Del or TAB does not do anything.

If I reset the PC and hold down the Del key (or TAB) it starts to POST but freezes at "Initializing USB Controllers"

That is as far as I can get. I cannot use the ez flash utility (Alt+F2)

I have unplugged all USB devices and even disconnected the Case front panel USB from the MOBO
I am using a PS2 keyboard.

I have tried removing the CMOS battery while also having the PSU unplugged for 15 minutes. No change.

I cannot get into BIOS.

I have also tried taking out all my RAM except for one stick and swapping that out with the others to see if one was bad. Still no change.

[Edit]
Crosshair IV Formula
Phenom II x4 965be @ 3.4ghz
8 GB 1600 G.Skill PI (4x2gb)
gtx 760
Antec Earthwatts 650w
Antec 1200
[/edit]
I do not know what else to do. I fear that is the end of my MOBO and I purchased it back in 2010 think it only had a 3 year warranty on it. I am not ready to put together a new PC build just yet. I think I can afford a new MOBO to hopefully last me a while, so I would also appreciate some suggestions if it does seem like my board is toast. I was looking at the Asrock 980de3/u3s3 and the asus m5a97 - should I pick up one of those boards, would I notice a change in performance at all?

Thank you to anyone taking the time to read this, and I apologize if this is the wrong place to post. I did try searching. I also apologize for all the questions and length of my post. I do not know what to do, figure I would try to get some answers before spending money.
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
hello Probablyjunk

I just had this similar problem. if the board is showing code A2 when it says press DEL to enter bios, try another hdd/ssd.

Thank you for your response. I do not think it is a HDD issue, it does not give me any error code, it just freezes.

I do not have a spare HDD I can test with.

I ordered a new MOBO, I am hoping that is the correct fix. Perhaps before it arrives I can ask a friend for an old HDD.

I disconnected my SSD and my HDD and even the optical drive. No change.

I replaced my crosshair iv formula with an asus m5a97 le r2.0 - FSB is slightly slower but I have not really noticed it....yet.
I am not ready to build a new machine so I just needed a replacement mobo that will last me for a year or two. So far so good.

"Cool story bro" I know. Just letting anyone who might be curious know that I could not fix it and a new mobo was the answer.
Thank you Natel152 for trying.