cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 module on COMBO III

Bogdanzah
Level 7
Hi,

Maybe someone can help...I tried to find something similar, but nothing, so please excuse me if I open a topic that was already opened.

It is about the module M.2 on the Combo III.

I was very excited about this feature, as I considered that a ssd on M.2 platform, mounted directly on the MB, will be an asset as I move(mount/take off) frequently the ssd's and hdd's on my computer(I am a photographer) and this module will give me the stability of booting directly "from MB", no matter how I will move/change the other ssd/hdd configuration.

I bought an ADATA Premier Pro SP900 128GB M.2 2242(42 mm to be suitable in ASUS Maximus VII Formula very tight space).

After installing of the ssd in the slot, the issues started: The ssd was saw by the system randomly, on bios boot. 1 time, yes...2 times no...and..not all the time the same. So, impossible to put the system on it.

Of course that I updated all drivers, including bios, chipset, aso.

I wrote to Asus...they told me in the first place, what I already did...to update everything...which was done, already. After that, they(of course) told me that my ADATA(of which I am certain that it is not one of the best choices, when it comes to ssd) is not compatible with my motherboard. At what level incompatible...I don't know, as it works very fine when discovered by bios.

Having this answer, I bought this device: http://www.delock.de/produkte/S_62521/merkmale.html, on which, my "incompatible" ssd works as a dream.

No errors, no bios issues, nothing.

Problem solved, you can say...but why, buying an expensive, top of the line, MB, which as marketing offers this connection, I should give money to an ugly, hard to implement on the computer case, device, but which works fine...instead of using my regular module, for which I paid enough to Asus.

I am still waiting for an answer from them...but, in the meantime, if someone had the same issue and found a solution, please share.

I mention that my M.2 SSD is SATA controlled.

Thank you very much.
6 REPLIES 6

Norcus
Level 8
The Combo III M.2 Option was actually meant for the mPCI-E standard, not sure if it will work with a SATA controller. mPCI-E was a stillborn standard that was immediately superseded by M.2 and SATA3 over PCI-E.

To make it work you have to correctly configure the PCI-E Lanes. I think you have to disable the dedicated M.2 port entirely.

The real solution would be to RMA your obsolete drive and get a real M.2 SSD with PCI-E controller wich enables you to fully utilize 4xPCI-E lanes on the native M.2 socket. They are quite pricey though. But if you are working with huge files professionally it might be worth it. The best option today is the Samsung xp941.

Norcus wrote:
The Combo III M.2 Option was actually meant for the mPCI-E standard, not sure if it will work with a SATA controller. mPCI-E was a stillborn standard that was immediately superseded by M.2 and SATA3 over PCI-E.

To make it work you have to correctly configure the PCI-E Lanes. I think you have to disable the dedicated M.2 port entirely.

The real solution would be to RMA your obsolete drive and get a real M.2 SSD with PCI-E controller wich enables you to fully utilize 4xPCI-E lanes on the native M.2 socket. They are quite pricey though. But if you are working with huge files professionally it might be worth it. The best option today is the Samsung xp941.

Thank you very much for the reply. I will try to find a PCI-e controlled M.2 module, but, as I already said...in the description of this COMBO 3 module on the main asus page for maximus vii, it says that the adapter provided can deal with both types. Anyway...if it shouldn't be able to deal with this sata controlled ssd...how come that, randomly...it can? As I said in former post, after couple restarts, not all the time same number, the module is visible in bios and I can boot without no further issues from it. Also, once started, it works perfectly until you shut down. I really don't think that the ssd is the cause... Or, maybe the module and chipset was not optimized very well for sata controlled m.2 ssd's, but better for PCI-e ssd's. But...should I try putting other money in another module...just to check ASUS profesionalism? I already did it once...
Anyway...after what "bright" answer I officially received, I think the "power" of verifying rests in my hands. 🙂 By buying an PCI-e controlled m.2 ssd, of course.

Maybe, in the meantime, somebody will make this test and confirm.
Regarding your proposed item...according to the "accepted vendor's list" for this motherboard, we can only talk about some sandisk modules...more specific, just one type, in two sizes... 🙂

Bogdanzah wrote:
Thank you very much for the reply. I will try to find a PCI-e controlled M.2 module, but, as I already said...in the description of this COMBO 3 module on the main asus page for maximus vii, it says that the adapter provided can deal with both types. Anyway...if it shouldn't be able to deal with this sata controlled ssd...how come that, randomly...it can? As I said in former post, after couple restarts, not all the time same number, the module is visible in bios and I can boot without no further issues from it. Also, once started, it works perfectly until you shut down. I really don't think that the ssd is the cause... Or, maybe the module and chipset was not optimized very well for sata controlled m.2 ssd's, but better for PCI-e ssd's. But...should I try putting other money in another module...just to check ASUS profesionalism? I already did it once...
Anyway...after what "bright" answer I officially received, I think the "power" of verifying rests in my hands. 🙂 By buying an PCI-e controlled m.2 ssd, of course.

Maybe, in the meantime, somebody will make this test and confirm.
Regarding your proposed item...according to the "accepted vendor's list" for this motherboard, we can only talk about some sandisk modules...more specific, just one type, in two sizes... 🙂

The Maximus VII boards should all support both 22mmx60mm and 22mmx80mm M.2 PCI-E devices. They cant use that spec unless they support the standardization. The qualified vendor lists from their website are typically obsolete at launch because those were tested on the board long before it was put in mass production.

I would urge you to do some research on your own, but I have found multiple references on google to Asus Z97 boards that can use the Samsung Xp941 (some needed a BIOS update though).

Hi Norcus,

The 22 by 80 module will never fit the board due to the armor. I really have doubts about 60 mm, too.

Anyway, I am not convinced that this(size) will be the reason. I was reffering at the memory size, thou. Sorry for not being specific.

I think that the issue is connected with the controller of the adapter. Maybe it will work perfectly on pci-e controlled ssd.
Even it's specified that also sata controlled m.2 ssd's are compatible, it seems that they are unstable.

Norcus
Level 8
Aha. I havent looked closely at the board. I just assumed it would look similar to mine which is a Maximus VII Gene. I got a dedicated M.2 port between my PCI_E x 16 slots.

Perhaps you could find a replacement heatsink. Wouldn't surprise me if you found one. Especially if you are using watercooling.

yes, i can confirm, both adapters Combo II M.2(from maximus VI formula) and Combo III M.2(from maximus VII formula) have issue with specific ssd. Even though they should work, they don't do it. In my opinion Asus wrong this connector/adapter.

Norcus wrote:
Aha. I havent looked closely at the board. I just assumed it would look similar to mine which is a Maximus VII Gene. I got a dedicated M.2 port between my PCI_E x 16 slots.

Perhaps you could find a replacement heatsink. Wouldn't surprise me if you found one. Especially if you are using watercooling.