cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

970m Overclocking

HulkSmash
Level 8
So I've owned a G75 in the past with a GTX 660m. Like the 600m the 970m and other laptop graphics chips are limited to 135+ on clock. But given how low temps are on this machine, it can definitely go higher. I used to force PStates on my 660m to go over the limit, and saw a very significant boost. Can the same be done on the 970m? The only other option to overclock over the 135+ limit would be a custom vbios, anyone tested or found anything?
39 REPLIES 39

NitroX
Level 10
HulkSmash wrote:
So I've owned a G75 in the past with a GTX 660m. Like the 600m the 970m and other laptop graphics chips are limited to 135+ on clock. But given how low temps are on this machine, it can definitely go higher. I used to force PStates on my 660m to go over the limit, and saw a very significant boost. Can the same be done on the 970m? The only other option to overclock over the 135+ limit would be a custom vbios, anyone tested or found anything?

I think someone did find because I've seen GTX980M 8GB with a 1288Mhz core clock on 3D Mark Firestrike. I think it was a Clevo or an MSI. But it seems that these guys found a way to pass over 1260Mhz. My 3dMark Firestrike runs are only pushing the Gtx980m to a 1173Mhz even when I'm overclocking to 1260Mhz. The TurboBoost doesn't seem to work in 3DMark ...

Srry for the long one but I was maybe thinking that you might know how to get a full turbo boost in 3d Mark .

Btw, I've also owned a G75VW but with a GTX670m. I was also keeping that baby overclocked to +135Mhz and +400Mhz memory all the time. The temps were even lower than this GTX980m with stock clocks :)). So, yeah, I guess that card could have gotten past 135Mhz overclock easily.

NitroX wrote:

Srry for the long one but I was maybe thinking that you might know how to get a full turbo boost in 3d Mark .

Did you try maxing all the sliders related to turbo boost with Intel XTU? Don't know but that could help.

BigDRim wrote:
Did you try maxing all the sliders related to turbo boost with Intel XTU? Don't know but that could help.

I was talking about the GPU not the CPU 🙂 .

@Kingkaan: It's nice, but could you also put the frequencies of the core/memory used ? The people with Gtx980m won't understand too much from this score because they have quite different ones. Thank you!

NitroX wrote:

@Kingkaan: It's nice, but could you also put the frequencies of the core/memory used ? The people with Gtx980m won't understand too much from this score because they have quite different ones. Thank you!

Definitely. im using a custom vbios allowed me to add almost +500 on the core. my core is at 1400 mhz my mem is at 6000 overclocked using gpu tweak. and beat gtx 980m stock clocks. stock 980m usually gets 12k on 3dmark11. a few other people on youtube were able to do this this card is a beast has a lot of overclocking potential.

NitroX wrote:

Sorry read too fast 😕

kingkaann
Level 8
HulkSmash wrote:

with a unlocked vbios..heres my score..46220

kingkaann wrote:
with a unlocked vbios..heres my score..46220

Thanks for the reply buddy! Awesome performance! And I apologize for the people who polluted my thread and have no idea of what they are talking about. Yes, a 980m overclocked will beat a 970m overclocked DUH.... That is not the point though, people don't get the fact though that overclocking a 1500 laptop will give you the performance of a stock laptop that costs 2000+. Sorry for the people lol...

I've been OC'ing for a while, so I know how to safely do it and all in regards to temps and artifacting and whatnot. I never flashed a vbios before though... I would like to try it though. Any tips or procedures you could help me with so I can safely do it?

Thanks in advance!

HulkSmash wrote:
Thanks for the reply buddy! Awesome performance! And I apologize for the people who polluted my thread and have no idea of what they are talking about. Yes, a 980m overclocked will beat a 970m overclocked DUH.... That is not the point though, people don't get the fact though that overclocking a 1500 laptop will give you the performance of a stock laptop that costs 2000+. Sorry for the people lol...

I've been OC'ing for a while, so I know how to safely do it and all in regards to temps and artifacting and whatnot. I never flashed a vbios before though... I would like to try it though. Any tips or procedures you could help me with so I can safely do it?

Thanks in advance!

You're welcome. and it's okay it's not your fault some people are butthurt and want to troll. Dorin is a childish he has sent me a few pm messages talking about killing my mother and raping my mother and etc just goes to show his maturity level. just ignore them they don't have no knowledge or anything good to say on forums but a bad attitude. only thing they want to attribute to peoples posts are their bad childish attitude. anyways, i would love to help you. i will pm you my steam and add me we can take it from there bud

d0r1n
Level 7
the gtx 970m will never have the same performance as 980m,no matter what OC do u have it will be under gtx980m
the gtx 980 is 15-20% better than gtx 970m,but with OC the 970m will get as close as 5-10% under the gtx980

keep in mind that the comparison is with stock clock at 980m,with OC the 980m will be the same as 970 desktop version