ROG Member Array

Memory Overclock ( Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z )

Hi there,

I have just picked up my new PC, I have left BIOS untouched so far. I only have the standard fan that came with the CPU so overclocking the CPU is not an option. The memory is meant to run at 2400MHz... I checked the BIOS and its currently running at 1333MHz. What settings do I have to change in BIOS to get my memory to run at 2400MHz?

Please be very specific as I have never overclocked a CPU or MEMORY before.

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX DDR3 ATX
    Processor: AMD FX8-8350 AM3+ 4.0GHz 16MB 125W
    Memory: Kingston 32GB (4 x 8GB) HyperX Beast DDR3 2400MHz DIMM CL11

Thanks, Sam

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, Sam.

Go into your BIOS and change the Ai Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. You'll notice that an option will appear below Memory Frequency for you to select a profile. Select the profile for 2400MHz. Save and exit BIOS. Whne you're in Windows, download and install CPU-Z to verify that you have successfully configured your RAM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Hello unbeaten

Mate not all systems will just do 2400MHz without some tweaking. Please do use the DOCP setting but if you find 2400 not doable, try the lesser numbers. It is all about the CPU and IMC these days mate.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Thanks guys, I have used the 2400Mhz memory profile and it seems to be running stable.

I have installed CPU-Z and its telling me NB Frequency is running at 2408.2MHz.

The timings for the RAM are 11-13-13-31... with the memory profile I selected the timings are 11-13-13-32, is this okay?

I did at first select the memory profile 2400MHz and then manually change timings to 11-13-13-31 but the system kept restarting?

Also the memory frequency has been changed from 1333MHz to 2400MHz and Windows Experience Index has not budged from 7.9 on memory and running Windows 8?

ROG Member Array

Thanks guys, I have used the 2400Mhz memory profile and it seems to be running stable.

I have installed CPU-Z and its telling me NB Frequency is running at 2408.2MHz.

The timings for the RAM are 11-13-13-31... with the memory profile I selected the timings are 11-13-13-32, is this okay?

I did at first select the memory profile 2400MHz and then manually change timings to 11-13-13-31 but the system kept restarting?

Also the memory frequency has been changed from 1333MHz to 2400MHz and Windows Experience Index has not budged from 7.9 on memory and running Windows 8?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

If by selecting the memory profile you mean you were using D.O.C.P., then it's normal that your timings might have been modified a little. Most of the memory kits on the market are designed with XMP profiles for Intel systems. So what D.O.C.P. does is configure these timings so that they're adequated to run on AMD systems. That's why tRAS was changed from 31 to 32. Most of the time, D.O.C.P. does a great job so it's all good.

New ROGer Array Teknoman PC Specs
    Teknoman PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus N750J
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula -Z
    ProcessorAMD FX8350BE @4,6Ghz 23x200 1.392v (Set Ai Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. in bios for this setting)
    Memory (part number)G-Skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-32GTX@2408.5Mhz 10-12-12-31 T1or2 1.77v
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix GTX 980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Sound CardAsus Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung Syncmaster S22B350H
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo SSD 250 GB
    Storage #2Seagate SSHD 2 TB ST2000DX001-1CM164 x2
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i push/pull
    CaseNanoxia Deep Silence 1
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Sharkoon Tactix
    Mouse Zowie Gaming Mouse EC2 Evo
    OS Windows 7 SP 1 x64/Win 8.1 Prox64

I won't say it will apply for you, but I guess I got lucky with the G-Skill Trident X 16 GB of DDR3 working @2400Mhz (that also goes for your CL 11 Kingston Hyper X Beast 2400Mhz DDR3 RAM BTW)24/7 in combination with that FX cpu you wanted for that build. So just to reassure you a little, if you get somewhat lucky with the right lottery FX8350 cpu from AMD, it is quite achievable,playable,workable and even amusantly with 16GB @ 2400 Mhz... ;-)It convinced me to upgrade in the near future to 32GB with 2x8 16GB more.Also check your memory settings(Bios) and check if your mem is set to Unganged Mode ENABLED. check my specs, they might bring a lil enlightment on the case(voltage wise, I don't know about those timings for the set you will use ) and while you wanna run this config 24/7, you could bump up the(Bios) CPU/NB voltage to 1,4v, and the DDR or RAm voltage to the voltage your RAM needs to RUN overclocked,nomore especially when actually overclocking the memory to 2400 Mhz! It could solve the stability issues.(Did for me)
    most of the sweet spots of the FX 8350 lie around 4,6 or 4,7 Ghz depending on your build, mine was 4,6Gz that's a 15% noticeable and smoothless OC.the most easy overclock requirring you got the right unit to cool that hotblooded Beast of a CPU lol.

Most importantly when attempting to wanna reach these speeds and settings running conflict free is ,especially watercooling(CPU), enough airflow over the ( some ppl go as far as placing an extra fan over the VRM's Google it)VRM part of your Mobo, so do some cable management and fitting the rad of the cooler part of your water cooling kit I pressume as far away from the mobo as you can.That means not in the middle of the case, if possible to the utmost adjacent side of the mobo tray if you're gonna connect that rad to the ceiling of the case..(Like in my case with the H100i) you wanna have that dispersed heat and air flow going as fast as possible out of your case, and as far away placed from the mobo's VRM's and capacitors..Cleaning the inside of the case with compressed air or a lightweight electro powered compressor now and then will make your system/RIG live longer because dust will be the unsuspected eventual STATIC killer of your internal components, if it wasn't water leakage or something else!! That's all for my pointers to you.

I hope I was as CLEAR as day in my explanation!!! ;-)

Still running this config after 1,5 Years from assembly time to now flawlessly..!!

Peace..
    Last edited by Teknoman; 02-04-2015 at 07:58 AM.