Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array GoHack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bodycount69 View Post
    I'm stuck trying to get the video card out I found 3 screws but still didn't come out
    The issue may be w/the video card socket.

There's a little lock in clip on the video PCIE socket that has to be "CAREFULLY" pressed away from the video card, in order to unlock the card from the socket. When I say "CAREFULLY", if you push it away too far, it'll break off.

In this photo, there are two, which are light blue, on the left.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon.../mobo_pcie.jpg

In this one, it is light green, on the left.

http://www.ni.com/cms/images/devzone...2332368687.jpg

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by GoHack; 02-10-2015 at 08:38 AM.

New ROGer Array

Hi everyone I have a ASUS G20 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Video Memory:2048 MBytes of GDDR5 SDRAM [Samsung]

So I'm looking to upgrade and seen this ASUS card :
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814121912

Its small opens more room in case should run cooler and also should out preform the 770.

Also going to upgrade the ram 16 gigs is the max you can go so I'm going to put this into it:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-897-_-Product

I don't think that GPU would fit in the G20. it's to tall. I think, because i compaired the reference 770 to the ASUS mini 970 card and the hight is a bit taller then the reference 770.

New ROGer Array

Hi everyone.

I liked the size of the G20, so I picked on up from Fry's in San Jose, CA just so I could upgrade it and put in my living room. I can confirm the case while being a little tricky to get to certain screws/cables, but is none-the-less still managable to perform upgrades. Here is what I did and it works fine.

Step 1: Purchased Hardware;
    GPU: EVGA EVGA GTX980
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Performance 16GB DDR3L
    Optical: Panasonic UJ262 9.5mm SATA Super Slim 6X 3D Blu-ray
    Boot Drive: Intel 730 SERIES 480 GB SSD
    Storage Drive: Samsung 850

Step 4: Download latest nVidia drivers (or use driver cd), and uninstall nVidia drivers;
    Step 3: Disassemble;
    Step 4: Remove GPU Mounting bracket, DVD tray (one screw on motherboard only), and Remove bracket holding CPU Heatsink/Fans to fold out of way for memory access;
    Step 5: Install Memory;
    Step 6: Install New Boot SSD;
    Step 7: Reboot to OS, and clone Factory Hybrid-SSD to new Boot SSD;
    Step 8: Power off, remove Factory HSSD and Install new Boot SSD;
    Step 9: Install 2nd SSD and Optical;
    Step 10: Reattach (screw down) CPU Heatsink/Fan combo;
    Step 11: Install new GPU to mounting bracket
    Step 12: Connect Extra 6-Pin PCI-E power connector to motherboard;
    Step 13: Re-Install GPU to chassis, and connect 2 6-Pin PCI-E power connectors to GPU;
    Step 14: Plug monitor cable into new GPU, and boot up system, install drivers (verify gpu is recognized/working)
    Step 15: If everything is working, finish reassembly of case!

Notes: I have not tested any GTX 970 cards, but I can tell you from experience a EVGA GTX 980 FTW will fit/install, but the fans will not work properly for which I am assuming is voltage reasons. The fans will try to spin up but cannot be commanded even through the eVGA Precision software, and will get hot under any load outside desktop environment. Once I installed a reference GTX 980 into the system everything work properly including the eVGA Precision software fan controls. My guess is that any card with dual 6-pin PCI-E power connectors should "probably" work, but if it is a 8-Pin + 6-Pin, then forget about it. Hope this helps everyone out.

P.S. Keep track of all those damn little screws when you disassemble the case!

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Bodycount69 PC Specs
    Bodycount69 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 Motherboard
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6900K 20M Broadwell-E 8-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 2011-v3
    Memory (part number)CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition
    Graphics Card #2ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition
    MonitorAsus ROG PG348Q Black 34
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
    CaseCorsair Graphite Series White Steel 780T Full Tower PC Case
    Power SupplyCORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Full Modular Power Supply
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark USB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G502 Tunable FPS Optical Gaming Mouse
    Headset SteelSeries Siberia 840 wireless gaming headset
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Heavy Mousepad
    OS Windows 10 64Bit

Quote Originally Posted by montereywill View Post
    Hi everyone.

I liked the size of the G20, so I picked on up from Fry's in San Jose, CA just so I could upgrade it and put in my living room. I can confirm the case while being a little tricky to get to certain screws/cables, but is none-the-less still managable to perform upgrades. Here is what I did and it works fine.

Step 4: Download latest nVidia drivers (or use driver cd), and uninstall nVidia drivers;
    Step 4: Remove GPU Mounting bracket, DVD tray (one screw on motherboard only), and Remove bracket holding CPU Heatsink/Fans to fold out of way for memory access;
    Step 13: Re-Install GPU to chassis, and connect 2 6-Pin PCI-E power connectors to GPU;
    Step 14: Plug monitor cable into new GPU, and boot up system, install drivers (verify gpu is recognized/working)

Notes: I have not tested any GTX 970 cards, but I can tell you from experience a EVGA GTX 980 FTW will fit/install, but the fans will not work properly for which I am assuming is voltage reasons. The fans will try to spin up but cannot be commanded even through the eVGA Precision software, and will get hot under any load outside desktop environment. Once I installed a reference GTX 980 into the system everything work properly including the eVGA Precision software fan controls. My guess is that any card with dual 6-pin PCI-E power connectors should "probably" work, but if it is a 8-Pin + 6-Pin, then forget about it. Hope this helps everyone out.

Wish you would have made a video of this

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Bodycount69 PC Specs
    Bodycount69 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 Motherboard
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6900K 20M Broadwell-E 8-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 2011-v3
    Memory (part number)CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition
    Graphics Card #2ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition
    MonitorAsus ROG PG348Q Black 34
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
    CaseCorsair Graphite Series White Steel 780T Full Tower PC Case
    Power SupplyCORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Full Modular Power Supply
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark USB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G502 Tunable FPS Optical Gaming Mouse
    Headset SteelSeries Siberia 840 wireless gaming headset
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Heavy Mousepad
    OS Windows 10 64Bit

Hi everyone.

So you got both SSD drive in the case ? theres room for 2 ? and for your GPU you got the 980 in and working but the fan don't work ?

ROG Member Array

I just put an EVGA reference design GTX 980 in mine tonight. I put the instructions here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post475944

New ROGer Array

So you got both SSD drive in the case ? theres room for 2 ? and for your GPU you got the 980 in and working but the fan don't work ?
    If you want two SSD's in your system you will have to remove the stock Hybrid-HDD that is installed beneath the Video Card. That's why I used the software (Acronis) included with the Intel 730 SSD to clone the oem drive to my new SSD. Once that is completed you can install the SSD in place of the oem HDD, and install the second SSD in the optical tray. There is a short SATA cable included with the case just for this installation. Once you have removed the Optical Tray (just one screw and it slides out) you can install the 2nd SSD, then slide it back in place.

As far as the GPU goes, I tested with the expanded memory, blu-ray drive, and dual SSD's, and I installed a eVGA GTX 980 FTW (had it for another build I was working on) and sure enough the system boots, all drivers install, and you can even run benchmarks on its. BUT, the fans would not spin. You could not even command them to operate through the software. One fan would not move at all, and the fan at nearest the power connectors was jerky like it wanted to spin up. As soon as I put the reference GTX 980 into the system the fan on that stock cooler operated perfectly, and was also controllable through the software. This is why I pointed out that I believe this is a limitation of the board and/or power brick for the GPU. A reference GTX 980 only has 2 6-Pin PCI-e power connectors, whereas the non-reference eVGA FTW GTX 980 had one 8-pin + one 6-pin PCI-e power connector. Pretty sure this is where the issues arise. Otherwise the card fits fine. What will not fit is a card like the Strix from ASUS, or possibly even the WIndforce from Gigabyte. Those two coolers are wider than the reference cooler, and anythin glonger than a reference 980 will not fit. There is hardly any space between the end of the GPU and the usb connectors mounted inside the front of the case. So as long as you stick with a reference design on the GTX 980 then you are good to go. Hope this clarifies any questions you had.

ROG Enthusiast Array

That's a full overhaul! Nice job. How did you remove the stock hard drive? Was it hard?

I haven't even opened mine yet but I'm planning on doing pretty much the same upgrades in 6 months or so. Thanks.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere View Post
    That's a full overhaul! Nice job. How did you remove the stock hard drive? Was it hard?

I haven't even opened mine yet but I'm planning on doing pretty much the same upgrades in 6 months or so. Thanks.
    Once the Video Card is out of the way, the hard drive has a single screw on its mounting chassis [SATA connector side] and once you remove it you just gently slide the caddy to the rear and you lift it straight out of the case (cables disconnected of course). Glad I could help!

ROG Member Array

Once the Video Card is out of the way, the hard drive has a single screw on its mounting chassis [SATA connector side] and once you remove it you just gently slide the caddy to the rear and you lift it straight out of the case (cables disconnected of course). Glad I could help!
    Really? That sounds much easier than it looked - I'm gonna have to open mine back up and look at that again as I'd like to swap that hard drive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast